E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2011 328i, Jet Black
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve330ci
E46 Installation of Z4 3.0 Shift Lever (from inside the car) and Review

Having read several threads about short shifters, I decided to install the Z4 3.0 OEM gear shifter and ZHP shift knob in my ’03 325ci. I made a parts list and after shopping around, found the best pricing at Husker BMW in Nebraska:

Z4 3.0 Shift Lever, 25-11-7-543-193, $55.53
Plastic shift bearing, 25-11-1-469-397, $5.59
Securing clip, 25-11-7-571-899, $0.45
ZHP Shift Knob, 25-11-7-896-031, $55.64

Parts total is: $117.21

Shipping was $10 via FedEx from Nebraska to St. Louis.

Here is my stock 5-speed shifter in neutral:

The first things to do are pull off the shift knob and then release the side tabs to remove the shift boot cover.

Then, remove the two screws in the trim piece to raise it in order to disconnect the connections for the left and right side window controls.

Then, just pull out the foam insulation and then remove the rubber cover.

If you push the shift lever to the right, you can see the selector rod. Also, note the white plastic shift bearing has a tabbed piece on the left and right sides. The “tab” is not visible because it is under the lip of the indented portion in the round opening where the white plastic shift bearing sits.

There is a pin on the aft end of the selector rod that goes through the slot at the bottom of the shift lever. The shift lever is secured to the pin on the selector rod by the securing clip which sits in a groove in the end of the pin.

At this time, move the shift lever to the left. If you look into the opening from the right side, you should be able to see the bottom edge of the securing clip. Insert a long flat blade screw driver into the opening and pop off the securing clip. The clip will likely fall through onto the garage floor.

After the securing clip is removed, use the screw driver to push the selector rod to the left. The pin on the selector rod will slide out of the shift lever. The selector rod will drop down and lay on top of the drive shaft.

At this time, use a small flat blade screw driver and rotate the white plastic shift bearing so that the small white tabs on top of the shift bearing are at 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock. Then, use the small screw driver and the larger screw driver to twist, worm and cajole the shift bearing out of the opening. This part is the most time consuming. Don’t worry about breaking off any pieces, because you have a new one to replace it.

Once it is removed, just pull the shift lever up and remove the old white bearing from the shift lever.

Here is a comparison of the old and new white pieces:

Here is a comparison of the stock and Z4 3.0 shift levers:

Now, lube the pivot ball on the Z4 shift lever and press the new white shift bearing on the pivot ball on the shift lever. Lube the outside of the new white shift bearing.

The tricky part is to reconnect the selector rod to the Z4 shift lever. To do this without having to jack-up the car, you need to use needle nose pliers to reach down and raise-up the selector rod. Then, slide a piece of twine or string (I used a Croakie sunglass strap because it was handy) under the selector rod to hold it up.

Then, while holding the selector rod up with the string, twine or Croakie in your left hand, carefully place the Z4 shift lever into the opening but only far enough so that the pin on the selector rod can slide into the bottom of the Z4 shift lever. Then, using the pinky on your left hand, push the selector rod to the right so that the pin slides all the way through the Z4 shift lever.

Now, using needle nose pliers in your right hand, carefully place the new securing clip into the groove at the end of the pin. Be sure the securing clip is oriented so that the flat side is to the left. I was able to engage it enough so that I was able to let go with the needle nose pliers. Then, using a finger, press down on top of the securing clip until it engages into the groove. Also, use the flat blade screwdriver to press down on top of the securing clip to ensure it is fully in place in the groove.

The, pull one end of the Croakie, etc., until it just slides out.

Now, insert the new white shift bearing into the opening so that the tabbed areas on the left and right sides are situated at the indented areas in the round opening. Press the white shift bearing firmly into the round opening. Use the small flat blade screwdriver to press the two tabbed portions down so that they will click into place under the lip in the opening.

Then re-install the rubber cover.

Then re-install the foam insulation, reconnect the window controls, and re-install the trim piece.

Here is a comparison of the ZHP and stock shift knobs.

Push the ZHP shift knob onto the Z4 shift lever. Here is a photo of the Z4 shift lever and ZHP shift knob in neutral:

Review
The Z4 3.0 shift lever works flawlessly without any need to bend it. The shifts are much crisper, more notchy, and do require more effort. Also, the amount of time necessary to shift from one gear to another is reduced significantly. The distance the shift lever actually moves from front-to-back is significantly reduced. Finally, there is almost no side-to-side movement of the shift lever while it is engaged or in neutral.

All in all, this is a relatively easy install, and I strongly recommend the Z4 3.0 shift lever in an E46.

Last edited by Steve330ci; 07-09-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Steve330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
3bananas

My Ride: 1998 328is
I've read a bunch of write ups on this before, and this one looks the clearest. Sub'd for later

Old 07-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
Yea great write up, whenever I diy I always forget to take pictures smh

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
congeewong

My Ride: 330xi
does anyone know if the in-car install is applicable to xi e46 as well?
congeewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
blksab65

My Ride: 1987 325 (i Swapped)
hey is it possible to just buy a short shift zhp knob and fit it on the stock shifter? Would it be to short to fit it on? i might consider buying all 4 things you got but for the mean time i would just leave it stock with only a zhp knob on it (if possible)... noob here
blksab65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Dirty330i

My Ride: 04 330i, 07 Z4M
Yes you can buy just the ZHP knob and it does lower it by an inch or so by replacing the stock gooseneck shifter
Dirty330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
i'm gonna be using this.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
nice writeup!

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve330ci View Post

Did you have some trouble getting it out? I hate those things, they're only good for challenging you to see how many expletives you can string together at once.

I'm impressed you did it from above! There is no way I would even attempt it without getting under the car. You're supposed to use some of those yellow bushings to take up slop, too...I'm doubting you did that from above.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Gheybe

Alright,

Just did this.

FOR MY CASE:

- It was easier to pull out the whole bearing and lever out in one thing. Then when it came out, I slid the bearing out.
- The clip was MUCH easier to put in WITHOUT the lever/bearing being already set in place.

I did this with the BMW SSK though.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Dannyboy223

My Ride: 2002 325ci
hi, i did this install too. exactly the same, just with a regular knob instead of the zhp. i found it challenging to do it from inside the car, but not impossible. its MUCH easier to do it if you can access from below. so some notes when installing: the bearing doesnt have to be in 120clock 6oclock position. a small enough screw driver on each side will pry it out.

but also people who have done this already: does your shifter sit exactly in the middle when in neutral? mine seems to sit a bit forward.

-Daniel
Old 01-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Well done write up.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
geeDoh

My Ride: E46 M3
Did this exact setup today with no problems - what a huge difference!

I'm still using the stock knob. Thinking of getting the ZHP, but I feel like the knob already sits so low with the Z4 shifter. Anyone think the ZHP will be too low?
geeDoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Jay146992

My Ride: E90 335i & E46 M3
I just did this and now my shifter is hitting the trim in all up gears. What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3302.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	434112  
Jay146992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay146992 View Post
I just did this and now my shifter is hitting the trim in all up gears. What should I do?
Is yours a 6-speed?

OP, did you put the yellow spacers back in?
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
Jay146992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Is yours a 6-speed?

OP, did you put the yellow spacers back in?
No it's a 5spd. I would like to know why I'm having this problem when it works fine for everyone else. It's really annoying because when I shift up my fingers get smashed between the shifter and trim.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #17
Gheybe

Quote:
No it's a 5spd. I would like to know why I'm having this problem when it works fine for everyone else. It's really annoying because when I shift up my fingers get smashed between the shifter and trim.
You installed it wrong. You put it backwards.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
e46hellrot

My Ride: e46
Quote:
What shifter did you get?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Jay146992

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46hellrot View Post
What shifter did you get?
Z4 3.0, the same part number listed. I got it from BMW.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Jay146992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
You installed it wrong. You put it backwards.
Since its straight, how would installing it backwards make a difference? Maybe I'm missing something.