E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Suspension and Braking

Suspension and Braking
Springs, shocks, struts, coilovers, camber plates, sway bars, strut bars, suspension bushings, control arms, brake pads, big brake kits, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Eric_e46

My Ride: 1999 323i
Why does my car drift on it's own?

I don't really know if this is the correct place to put this on, but please bare with me.

I have a 323i 1999.. Completely stock suspension, so it's pretty worn out. However when I'm driving, let's say 70mph on the freeway, if there is a SLIGHT curve with a moderately bumpy road. My cars rear end will start drifting. Not a lot, but to the point where it scares me enough to slow down because i feel like ima loose control. It also needs that bushing, the one that holds the body?.. When I step on the break I feel the body shift forward.

Is it the bushing and the suspension that need to be changed? I'm terrified of turns with a bunch bumps on the freeway now.. I'll slow down to like 55 because I feel like one of these days it's gonna completely loose it.
Eric_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
i'm going to say you have some issue with either your rear subframe (being a 99 it'll qualify for a free fix in case it's ripped off the body) or maybe a disconnected front sway bar... bad FCABs won't do that. put your car in the air (jackstands/lift) and start tugging on your wheels and see what is loose.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Have you ever changed any of your bushings?

Start with your RTAB's asap then change those rear shocks..
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Eric_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Have you ever changed any of your bushings?

Start with your RTAB's asap then change those rear shocks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
i'm going to say you have some issue with either your rear subframe (being a 99 it'll qualify for a free fix in case it's ripped off the body) or maybe a disconnected front sway bar... bad FCABs won't do that. put your car in the air (jackstands/lift) and start tugging on your wheels and see what is loose.
Nope.. The bushings and suspension are completely stock.

Sweet! There was a recall for my model?.. Maybe Its that and I can get it for free..
I really have to find the problem though.. It gets pretty scary.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_e46 View Post
Nope.. The bushings and suspension are completely stock.

Sweet! There was a recall for my model?.. Maybe Its that and I can get it for free..
I really have to find the problem though.. It gets pretty scary.
Subframe settlement period is over, but that doesn't mean you can't try to make a new federal case out of it.

But, it could just be shocks that are an issue causing your rear end to bounce out, and frankly, it could just be the road and the speed you're entering turns at.

I'm glad you're slowing down when you feel out of control...that's a promising sign!

As far as the 'car moving forward' when braking...that sounds pretty much like the control arm bushings. FYI, there may be an M CAB that would work for you and it's a little more durable...stiffer, but not as stiff as poly.

Finally, check everything, as we don't really know what it is...but, if you're on the gas in a turn that has bumps, I'd expect the rear to push out...and frankly, the front too. Also, simple thing, make sure your tire pressure is very close to what the door jamb says it should be...tire pressure is the foundation of the rest of the suspension geometry, and little changes in it affect the handling considerably! I add just 2 lbs. to the front (riding on the higher side of psi in the front, and near the bottom for the rear and I've got perfectly neutral steering...just enough to steer nicely with throttle when I need/want to.

If you're running 45psi in back, that might be your problem entirely...idk what you have, so not accusing you...just saying!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Z3 racer

My Ride: Z3
Maybe take it to a competent BMW shop to have a look? That could just be crazy talk, but maybe it's worth a shot.
Z3 racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
snowskateskate

My Ride: 2001 330ci man.trans
maybe...take it to a different section of the forums?

AKA not the for sale section
snowskateskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Milz328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
I just got back from road trip to boston and i noticed that im having a similar issue let me know if u figure out what it is
Milz328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
quazyboi

My Ride: 00 328Ci steel grey
IMO sounds like a bushing problem. My car was doing the exact same thing when mines were out. Every bump or imperfection in the road at high speeds would cause my car to swerve slightly. After i changed my front control arm bushings, the car was solid. Try changing that first before digging deeper.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Eric_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazyboi View Post
IMO sounds like a bushing problem. My car was doing the exact same thing when mines were out. Every bump or imperfection in the road at high speeds would cause my car to swerve slightly. After i changed my front control arm bushings, the car was solid. Try changing that first before digging deeper.
How can I know which bushings are the ones I need?.. Front or back? And where can I buy them at?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
Iceberg157

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Iceberg157
Most likely your rtabs. Your problem is in the rear since your car is drifting. Had the same issue with my e46 m. Have them checked.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
drewdew1331

My Ride: E46 330ci 2003
time to change your tires, perhaps?
drewdew1331 is offline   Reply With Quote