E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Never_Quit

My Ride: 93 Honda Civic
PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE! E39 540i vs. E46 330i

Hey everyone

I'm new to the forum and I'd appreciate some help with a decision I've been agonizing over for weeks and weeks.

540i vs. 330i both with sport package, and manual as a requirement.

I've had my current car (93 Civic 4 door) for three years, and I'm ready for something new. I decided months ago that I was looking for a car with some performance, and nice to be in. I love a long trip, as much as a quick blast down a curvy back road. I also much prefer an MT to an AT.

In my search I narrowed it down to the two most powerful non-Ms with sport pkg. They fit my price range of ~11k and have 4 doors

From what I've gathered I can break it down like this

330i

Quicker than avg. performance, more agile, lighter
More fuel efficient (if driven with a light foot)
I've always LOVED the e46 sedan one of the most beautiful body styles ever
About the same interior size as e39

540i

Better for cruising (I do far and away more hwy mi)
Better comfort for back seat passengers
Can't get away from how good that V-8 sounds
Easier to find a lower mi for less $
ZHP 330 hard to get a hold of for my price range

I've test driven both and still can't decide. This car will be my daily driver for the next 5-6 years so its going to have to be able to hold some car seats in the back.

Any and all opinions appreciated. Let me know what y'all think.
Never_Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: Estoril Blue 228i
Hi. What age are you in? Young like early 20s like me or guy with kids like my old man?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
hardtop

My Ride: 05' 3 pedals 2 doors
A friend of mine has a e39 540i and that thing hauls. Its got loads of power and is fantastic on the freeway and on longer trips. The handling is sporty and it drives like a bimmer, but I was never able to get away from how heavy that car is. An e46 3 series with sport package handles very well, and it a really fun car to drive. Is it going to have the straight line performance and passing speed of a 540? No, but a 330 is decently quick and is a great car nonetheless. Either way you go, your going to be satisfied with the performance and quality of a bmw.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Never_Quit

Yeah mid-20's getting married next year so more than likely will have kids before I sell the car.

@hardtop yeah that's mainly the impression I got. Weight and power vs light on it's feet, but still more than enough power for fun and daily duties. It just seems everytime I get my mind set one way I think of something that draws me the other way. They'll both be excellent cars I'm sure whichever I end up going with.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
MercForHire

My Ride: Estoril Blue 228i
I would buy a 330 touring station wagon.
This way you get the good gas mileage with cheaper maintainence of the e46. Plus the extra space for junk.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Never_Quit,

(Post some pics of the said cars.)

I was in the same exact situation as you. (on the choices of models, except for automatics - due to wife > can't drive manual...)
Having driven both models myself, I know how conflicted you are.
Yes, the weight of of the 540i negates the power advantage some what, plus the gas consumption to move that Beast (in a sporting manner) will be higher.

So, I say go for the 330i since you're going to be a newly married couple, and any future "kids" will Not need or appreciate the extra leg room offered by the 540 (not until Much later, at least.)

Either way, I know you'll have a lot more fun driving a Bimmer than a honda.
Just make sure you PPI the car, once you decide.
Good luck.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
fauchpj

My Ride: 2003 540i/6
I have an '04 ZHP now but I had an '03 540 with the M Sport Package.
The 540 is a better ride on the interstate, hands down.
You can toss around the 330 a lot easier than the 540. 540 feels like a boat compared to the 330.
The E39 interior is a little dated, especially the cup holder situation.
330 will get better gas mileage, if that is an issue for you.
Both cars have their own quirks and issues, but I enjoy the E46 a little more (this is my 2nd E46)
fauchpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
polychrome

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
I would buy a 330 touring station wagon.
This way you get the good gas mileage with cheaper maintainence of the e46. Plus the extra space for junk.
Sounds like a great idea, but it would be harder to find.

In any case, I suggest going with the e46. If you're patient and willing to wait, you can probably get a good e46 in the price range you want.
polychrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
+1 on the touring or just get a 530 with the sports package, the V8 will eat gas and cost more to maintain. It would be better to have the extra space of the e39 compared to the e46.
(I had a 2000 528i before)
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
I'd say if a ZHP is out of your price range don't get a 540. Not the best car to own if a few grand extra will break your budget.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
hokiebimmer

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
I had to decide between the two as well. I ended up going with a 2003 330i ZHP.
hokiebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
e46. the 540 guzzles far too much gas.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
yrksccr6

My Ride: 2000 328Ci ZPP
540 is a beast to maintain, and has less gas mileage. I see a lot of 7's and 5's come in to the indie shop where I work that share a tranny, and if its an auto it generally needs to be remachined at around 100,000 miles or so, as they are so massive and carry a lot of weight, and most people if they aren't enthusiasts do not take care of the fluids as they should. Not to mention a manual 5-series might be hard to find as they are more of an enthusiast car, and most 5 series drives that I have known would rather have an auto that they can just cruise in. 330 has quirks too, but nothing as serious, just typical BMW stuff, such as the coolant system. Good luck with your search though
yrksccr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Seems like you have everything figured out as far as contrasting the cars. In all honesty, i think the only thing I would consider if I were looking at both cars is maintenance, which in this case would highly be in favor of the e46.

With that being said, choose wisely.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Wake2blake

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP imola
Don't rule out a ZHP. I found one for 11k in really good condition.
Wake2blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
Never_Quit

Thanks everyone for your input. In light of all this I think I will go ahead and get the 3. I keep y'all updated on it, and will be sure to post pics when I finally get it.

P.s. ZHP isn't ruled out I just haven't been able to find one in my range.

Besides the classified section here, where is a good place to search?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
yrksccr6

My Ride: 2000 328Ci ZPP
Nice. Look forward to seeing what you find. Craigslist, Cars.com, etc. Just make sure you do a thorough check of the car, take it to a indie dealer if possible to make sure you know what you are buying.
This is a bit of a long read and I'm not the first to post this but you should check it out:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...sive_to_own.3F
yrksccr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
polychrome

My Ride: 2002 325i
Autotrader.com is also another good one aside from CL, cars.com, etc. eBay might also help, but I suggest looking at local listings or somewhere within driving distance from you.
polychrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
hokiebimmer

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
The trick with ZHP's is that it takes time to find the one you want. I was lucky and bought mine from a friend of a friend of a friend for $11.8k which was a steal for it's condition so they're around you just have to find them.

hokiebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I like the 540's but to me a ZHP is a better car in this scenario, and it seems more like a car for a younger driver between those two, if that makes sense. zhpmafia.com has a classified section so you could check that out to see if you can find one in your price range.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote