E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Vault

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Smile DIY Plasti Dip! Grill and Rear Badge [Lots of Pictures]

Hey boys and girls! Today I decided to go to Lowe's and buy some black spray-on Plasti Dip. I have some more ideas for what I want to do with it but I started out easy (doing the model emblem) and moved up to something a bit more complex (the grill). I am now convinced that along with duct tape and WD-40, Plasti Dip is God's gift to mankind. The best part is that it is completely reversible, should you decide you no longer like it. That is also a downfall, since it might come off before you want it to. Just be careful with it and avoid touching it unnecessarily.

I was going to pull out the grill to spray it, but one of the tabs was already broken from the previous owner. I didn't want to risk breaking more and ended up just masking it really well and spraying it in place.

Note: I was doing this in temps of 95 degrees and moderate to heavy humidity. The humidity did not affect it as much as I expected, so I was able to drastically cut the waiting time between coats. Please realize that Plasti Dip instructions state to wait one hour between coats.
DIY #1: THE EMBLEM
I got the idea from [linky].

Tools required:
-An old newspaper
-Masking Tape
-Plasti Dip Spray
-Toothpick

STEP 1: CLEAN THE AREA TO BE 'PAINTED'
You don't want to spray on top of dirt and grime, or it will bubble or just plain not stick. The link said to use a cotton ball and alcohol. The alcohol works very quickly to remove grime (and also overspray from the plasti dip), but the cottonball left cotton fuzz all over. I do not recommend it.

STEP 2: MASK THE AREA
Masking for this is super easy. I took a half page of newsprint and tore a rectangular hole across the fold and taped it to the car. Don't worry about masking around the letters. It will come right off, as you will see below. Just leave a close area around the logo, but make sure that it is not touching the letters/numbers.

STEP 3: APPLY COAT NUMBER ONE
After making a test spray on a spare page of newsprint to check product flow, spray plasti dip evenly across the surface. I do not suggest doing more than one pass, as the product will run since it has nothing to cling to besides the smooth surface. Wait at least 5 minutes before applying the next coat.

STEP 4: APPLY COAT NUMBER TWO
Now that there is some rubber on the surface, the next coat has something to grab when it gets sprayed on. Be more liberal and get good coverage. Two passes should do for this coat. Wait 15 minutes to an hour before applying the next coat.

STEP 5: APPLY COAT NUMBER THREE
This should be the last coat if you sprayed the surface properly. Make sure that you've sprayed the top and bottom of the emblem. Allow 30 minutes for it to dry before removing the masking.

STEP 6: REMOVE MASKING
Be careful not to prematurely pull off the rest of the rubber. Use the toothpick to break away rubber clings.

STEP 7: PEEL AWAY EXCESS RUBBER
Don't rush this step. The rectangular piece will separate and break away from the edges of the emblem, but you will need to use the toothpick in some places to help it along. You will need a toothpick or two to peel out the insides of the numbers, but once you get it started, it will come easily.

STEP 8: CLEAN UP ANY OVERSPRAY
Use alcohol on a paper towel and gently rub the overspray. It will lift right off. Enjoy the finished product.

DIY #2: THE GRILL[E]

Note: Most people prefer to do this by taking off the grill. This tutorial shows how to paint it while leaving the grill intact. I didn't have to worry about breaking any tabs this way.

Tools required:
-Several old newspapers (or the Sunday paper)
-Masking Tape
-Plasti Dip Spray
-Toothpicks

STEP 1: CLEAN THE SURFACE TO BE 'PAINTED'
Washing the car beforehand helps a lot, and use a chamois cloth or a thin, nonabrasive cloth to wipe around and inside the grill. Dry every part and scrub any bug remains. A toothpick will come in handy to remove dried bug carcasses from the corners. Once you are certain that you have cleaned in all of the corners and gotten the finish as smooth as possible, proceed to the next step.

STEP 2: MASK AROUND THE AREA TO BE 'PAINTED'
It was easiest to do this by putting the hood halfway up. Gravity kept it from going up any further, but engineering kept it from falling. It stayed there very well on its own. Tape paper immediately behind the grill, and cover the engine compartment and around the kidneys.
Pro Tip: Use small pieces of tape on the curves around the kidneys. Wrap tape over the edge to fill the gap, and press it down with a toothpick to stick it in place.

STEP 3: APPLY COAT NUMBER ONE
Angle the can so the you are spraying in the direction of travel, so that you coat the sides of the vertical slats. Do not spray a location more than once if possible. I ended up doing six passes (three in each direction) for the first coat. Wait at least five minutes before applying the next coat.

STEP 4: APPLY COAT NUMBER TWO
Try to cover as much as possible in as few passes as possible. Realize that the problem area is the chrome grill surround. It will take as many as four to five coats to completely cover the chrome. Wait 15 minutes to an hour before proceeding.

STEP 5: APPLY COAT NUMBER THREE
Focus on the outside chrome portions, as the inside will be much less noticeable if you miss a spot. Wait 30 minutes to an hour before proceeding.

STEP 6: APPLY COAT NUMBER FOUR
Pay attention and focus on any spots you missed in previous coverage. Apply as if this is the final coat. Make sure you have applied the product from all angles. Wait 30 minutes to an hour before proceeding.

STEP 7: APPLY FINAL COAT
This is to touch up any thin areas. Make sure that your chrome is fully covered!! Do not "touch up" specific areas, because the product will blob like spray paint (don't ask how I know). Make an even path across the entire surface.
Allow at least 30 minutes for the final coat to dry before removing masking.

STEP 8: REMOVE MASKING AND CLEAN OVERSPRAY
Break away any rubber clings with the toothpick. Rub overspray with alcohol and it will come right off. Enjoy the finished product. You may need to use the toothpick to clean the crevice around each kidney, but be careful not to scratch your new rubber coating. It will take several hours for the finish to cure completely. I suggest not driving it or touching it until it has completely set.

STEP 9: ENJOY THE FINISHED PRODUCT

Last edited by Vault; 07-11-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Vault is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Very nice. I think this is the first time I've seen the grills painted using this method. Same as the rear badge. Honestly first pic I saw, I thought to myself "wtf". But then thought about the whole plasti dip being peel-able lol. Very nice job.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
mletchworth

My Ride: 2003 325i, 2007 x3
Looks great. What's next? Side mirrors, roof?
mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by mletchworth View Post
Looks great. What's next? Side mirrors, roof?
Oh wow I didn't think about doing the roof. That would look slick and be super easy. I DID think about doing the side mirrors, but with the amount of bugs they collect, I doubt it would hold up to washing. I was considering doing shadowline trim around the windows and even had the crazy notion of doing the rims. I don't know how far I will go. The rims wouldn't look too bad I guess, any thoughts on this? I photoshopped it and it's decent.

If I wanted to go the performance look, I could get a color and paint the calipers. I don't know if anyone has done that. I considered doing the interior trim but I'm not a big fan of the colors.

I recently came across a thread with a pic of an e46 completely repainted in plasti dip.
Edit: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=843848

Plasti Dip Tutorial: [Link]

Last edited by Vault; 07-12-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
chorizo

My Ride: E3SIXXX///
nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
great work
can i swap a 3.0 out of a bmw 2002 325 into a 1997 528 series
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Vault

Update: I'm super happy with the results. The new finish has hardened substantially, and I'm going to be doing my mirrors and/or rims next week, though I can't say how permanent that will be. The black grille makes the front have more of an aggressive stance, and the black model number on the back makes the tail end look more uniform (That WAS the only chrome back there besides the tailpipes). I recommend this DIY!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
carlos916

My Ride: 08 328 / 05 Raven R6
Send a message via AIM to carlos916 Send a message via Yahoo to carlos916
looks great! im going to go do it here in a bit!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
carlos916

just got done it looks great!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Much better
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
why didnt u take the grill off first?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
just got done it looks great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omhl
why didnt u take the grill off first?
Because I already had a broken tab and I didn't want to risk breaking more. And I like doing things my own way, as long as I can achieve equal or better results

Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Am I missing something? How Is this not the exact same thing as the plasti dip thread about wheels?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Am I missing something? How Is this not the exact same thing as the plasti dip thread about wheels?
Because if it was the exact same thing, then I would have done a tutorial about How To Plasti Dip Your Wheels...

Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
carlos916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault View Post

It was quick an easy just had a be patient with the 0 cuz u have to rub it center to pull up the plastic but other than that it was easy!!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
That's pretty freaking awesome.

I'm thinking about plastidipping my whole E36 318ti.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Vault

Looks nice, Carlos! The 0 tried to be difficult for me also but I picked it out with two toothpics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
That's pretty freaking awesome.

I'm thinking about plastidipping my whole E36 318ti.
The other guy that I saw said he did his entire car with 3.5 cans. :o

Its a good concept but it will be a little testy when you wash it. I still have to wash mine since I did the grill. I know it will hold up if I take it easy, but doing a whole car would make me nervous.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
How is the durability? I can't see this stuff lasting long without properly prepping (sanding) the areas your applying the paint to.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
cchrisstopherr

My Ride: W126 300ce
hey great job, just wondering if it dries smooth or with orange peel. looking to spray my bicycle!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
Bake

My Ride: AW F10 535 M-Sport
I plasti-dipped my badge over a year ago and it is still holding up great. I took my emblems off before painting as I didn't think of this method but it works just as well. I did about 7 or 8 thin coats on mine with about 30 mins in between each and then let it sit overnight before re-installing.