E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
Vault

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
I plasti-dipped my badge over a year ago and it is still holding up great. I took my emblems off before painting as I didn't think of this method but it works just as well. I did about 7 or 8 thin coats on mine with about 30 mins in between each and then let it sit overnight before re-installing.
Nothing wrong with playing it safe! Christopher, it dries smooth like a normal matte black paint. It has a slight texture to it but it's good. I was thinking about doing my bike as well, except it's already got a snexy black and dark grey paint job.

Plasti Dip Tutorial: [Link]
Vault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #22
ProStreetDriver

My Ride: 94 BMW 740i
I was a little sketchy about you painting the the trunk too, but it seems to peal off like nothing so nvm lol.

Excellent work and it looks amazing!
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
Mission2164

My Ride: BMW 323ci
Looks Awesome! I am going to do this to my rear badge, but I think the black will stick out bad on my base color of the car which is Titanium Silver. I have seen in another thread about painting over the plastic dip. Therefore plastic dip in black then before peeling and making it look nice I will spray a coat of gun metal silver over it. I bet it will look awesome when compared with the Titanium Silver. Opinions??
Mission2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #24
Griffsta247

My Ride: '02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault View Post
Oh wow I didn't think about doing the roof. That would look slick and be super easy. I DID think about doing the side mirrors, but with the amount of bugs they collect, I doubt it would hold up to washing. I was considering doing shadowline trim around the windows and even had the crazy notion of doing the rims. I don't know how far I will go. The rims wouldn't look too bad I guess, any thoughts on this? I photoshopped it and it's decent.

If I wanted to go the performance look, I could get a color and paint the calipers. I don't know if anyone has done that. I considered doing the interior trim but I'm not a big fan of the colors.

I recently came across a thread with a pic of an e46 completely repainted in plasti dip.
Edit: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=843848
i have done the rims on a friends car.. i cant really say how long it will last cuz 2 days after we sprayed them he blew his motor but it did look pretty sick. im pretty sure it will stand up to a car wash tho. we put on 7 coats and let the rims dry for about 5 hours and they seemed impervious, but i can be very wrong since we never got to experience a car wash lol
Griffsta247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #25
Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission2164 View Post
Looks Awesome! I am going to do this to my rear badge, but I think the black will stick out bad on my base color of the car which is Titanium Silver. I have seen in another thread about painting over the plastic dip. Therefore plastic dip in black then before peeling and making it look nice I will spray a coat of gun metal silver over it. I bet it will look awesome when compared with the Titanium Silver. Opinions??
My car is titanium silver also and I love the look. I like the fact the the badge can now be read clearly from 30 feet away instead of <10 feet like before when it was chrome. Initially I thought it looked a little odd, but combined with a few other changes on the car, it looks really nice.

Just remember that if you're going to paint over it, take it off the car and restick it when you're done, otherwise you're in for a rough masking job.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Mission2164

My Ride: BMW 323ci
Yeah I see your car is the same color as mine however yours is the awesome 330 Xi and mine is a 323Ci which does not have any balck any where on it. Yours looks good cause you have that black trim that runs on your rear bumper, which matches the rear badge now.

If I take the rear badge off, do I have to get the stuff that makes it stick? Or can you heat it off and put it back on with out pruchasing anything extra??
Mission2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
a325h

My Ride: '13 2.5SEL Jetta 5MT
Send a message via Skype™ to a325h
Got my plasti-dip and I am ready to try this out! I have only seen great results thus far. Pictures tonight possibly!

TRS 5000K XB Bi-Xenons | ümmitza 6000K Opaque AEs | Metallic Tinting | LED Interior Lights
^2001 E46 325i^ SOLD

Current: 2013 SEL 2.5 Jetta 5MT
a325h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #28
Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission2164 View Post
If I take the rear badge off, do I have to get the stuff that makes it stick? Or can you heat it off and put it back on with out pruchasing anything extra??
I've never had to take one off. I would assume that you would need new tape to reattach, based on experience with other stick on components.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
zsp

My Ride: 328
This is the OG thread that showed you how to do it: http://g35nyc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36224

I used that thread to paint mine but decided I'd rather just go debadged. As for the grills, I did them the same way as you based off how a user on BF.C did his. Almost all the tabs are screwed up on my grilles, including the places on the hood where they snap into, so removing was not an option for me. With the grilles though, I had the hood all the way down, just because it seemed easier and I didn't have to mask the engine bay as much as you.

I've had my wheels and grilles painted for several months now and I'm happy to report that they've help up great!. Next on the agenda is the window trim! Thanks for your informative thread.

BTW, have you thought about cutting out the piece in between the dot of the i and the stem? Try using a razor blade, but be careful not to scratch your trunk!
zsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #30
Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsp View Post
BTW, have you thought about cutting out the piece in between the dot of the i and the stem? Try using a razor blade, but be careful not to scratch your trunk!
I hadn't actually thought about removing it, but it did kind of bug me because it looks like an L. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I ever get bored Thanks!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #31
bmwmck

My Ride: '00 328i 5spd
doing this right now, almost done. looks great so far! a little thick/unsmooth in some areas because i may have applied slightly too much, but its not really noticeable unless your're up close. overall it looks great

edit: done! very happy with it. thanks for your write up

Last edited by bmwmck; 07-31-2011 at 09:38 PM.
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #32
Vault

Looks nice! Next, you need to pop out the upper intake on the hood and paint that black too. Just be sure to mask off the washer nozzles

Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #33
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I just did my grill like a week ago. Also did my headlight trim (the inside part). Really love the look, I think it makes the car look a ton better. Im intrigued with the badges, I may have to try it. And Im planning on doing my wheels sometime soon as well, whenever I can get the time. lol
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #34
Wizard Of Auz

My Ride: 318i Modding it up !
Looks great ! I shall be doing my grill next week, I think I might follow your lead and just mask up the bonnet and spray !

Nice work & write up !
Wizard Of Auz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #35
Dominic.G.
Banned

My Ride: Jetblack 1999 323i
Some info about plasti dip.

I did my stock wheels with it and decided to take the plasti dip off later.

Well I didn't do enough layers so the plasti dip wasn't easy to get off. Most of it just peeled off but some of it I had to rub and rub and rub to get off.

Well I tried using turpentine to get it off and it worked great. Just dissolved the plasti dip.

Just fyi incase you get in the same situation
Dominic.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #36
sfoE46

My Ride: 04 325i
Plast dip my kidney grill then stick this carbon fiber kidney grill covers http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...item2eb72164f5
sfoE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #37
NickdZHP

My Ride: 06 330ci ZHP
Has anyone tried this on the interior peeling paint on the door handles and other known areas of peeling? (cup holders, ash tray, anything painted matte black)

Last edited by NickdZHP; 09-19-2011 at 01:21 PM.
NickdZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #38
john311tran

My Ride: awd + 5 doors
had anyone tried this with chrome trim? i'm guessing i'll have to sand it down. not sure if it'll last or if i'm better off just using paint.

john
john311tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #39
bionet

My Ride: 03 330i
looks clean as hell. shoulda done this instead of paying $50 for matte black grilles :[
bionet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #40
Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickdZHP View Post
Has anyone tried this on the interior peeling paint on the door handles and other known areas of peeling? (cup holders, ash tray, anything painted matte black)
There is a DIY around here somewhere. Search plasti dip dash or console and you're bound to find it.