E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
hydeh

My Ride: E46 330d Touring
Jake's E46 330d Touring Build

So I've decided to start a build thread on here as I've been feeling a little homeless since switching from VAG to BMW, and I think it's partly the reason why i've lost momentum with doing anything to the car! Hopefully i'll be able to learn a lot about the car from being on here, and be able to share my progress as I go as I really enjoyed doing that with my old car.

So i'm a long time poster on Edition38, where I used to drive this:

Finally got the back down by hydeh, on Flickr

Build thread here if anyone is interested: http://www.edition38.com/forums/inde...owtopic=315969

The car was always my on a budget student car, and so it was a bit rough around the edges from running low on coilovers for so long. I'd always liked E46's, and I've always been a fan of estates in general so a touring was always on the cards. Decided on the 330d as I knew they were still pretty good on fuel, sounded good and went well enough while still being relatively cheap to insure. My only problem was that I set a pretty narrow search criteria. It HAD to be black, HAD to be manual, M-sport, leather interior, not full of rust, have good service history, and not be stupidly priced.

After about 4 month's of searching, I found this:

Terrible picture I know and the only one I took of it from when I bought it as I hated the wheels so much!

It's unfortunately a 184bhp version, but it ticked every other box and I couldn't wait any longer :lol:
The car had full independent BMW service history, was nowhere near as rusty as most that I'd been to see, and already had coilovers and a decat fitted which I saw as a bonus. Managed to get the original MV1's thrown into the deal and ended up selling the LM reps that came on the car not long after for 450 which worked out nicely! It has a dark grey leather interior, which I was unsure about at first but now I think I prefer it to the black as it doesn't make it feel so small. It also has one of those eonon headunits, but annoyingly it's the version that doesn't charge my ipod while it's plugged in which is driving me nuts! Any solutions?

First step was to clean the thing, but I was quite disappointed by just how orange peely the paint appeared to be on closer inspection. I've heard this about BMW's in general, but who knows if it's true. It still came up pretty well though.

IMG_20140719_212151 by hydeh, on Flickr

Sadly while detailing it all day, it meant I discovered a rust scab by the grab handle on the boot that i'd missed when buying it, so that'll be something to address in the future.

Before I bought the car I did a photoshop of what I had planned and I fell in love with it instantly. So much so that I ended up buying the wheels for it before I'd even sold the bora :lol:

IMG_20140828_182806 by hydeh, on Flickr

Mercedes Alphards, 8.5's up front and 9.5's out back. Not seen them done on an e46 before either, so it made me want to do it even more.

A few test fits were done, and then I took the plunge and ordered some custom made adapters in what i'd hoped would be the perfect sizes. The turn around on them was insane, and I had them back within just a week of placing the order. Cue further fits.

IMG_20140823_181432 by hydeh, on Flickr

IMG_20140823_180020 by hydeh, on Flickr

Rears were pretty perfect for the overall plan, but pretty much sat on the standard rear arch because of how beefy it is! Ended up cutting out a load of the rear bumper mount, and shaved some other bits down for clearance for the time being. The fronts sat a little bit further out than I'd hoped, but it was the thinnest adapter I could get away with. The 205/40 up front was wayyyy too big though, so ended up swapping that out for a 35 and maxed the standard front camber.

This was all in a big rush to have them on for edition, and I underestimated just how much the rears were going to rub, and had to admit defeat and raise it. This was what I ended up with:

IMG_20140829_194540 by hydeh, on Flickr

IMG_7252 by hydeh, on Flickr

IMG_20140831_083552 by hydeh, on Flickr

You may have also noticed that I swapped out the rear clear lenses for the poverty spec ambers, and then I used red tint spray on the inner lenses. Quite simple but I think it makes the rear look 10x better! I also swapped the side repeaters for ambers too, and went on the lookout for amber front corners.

I then set the rears to max camber, and got it all tracked straight which gave me a bit more clearance on the rear so I could get it down a bit more. I've had to reduce the suspension travel as the rear is just way way too soft, and I'm looking into cutting the rear arch or something. I'm planning on doing it myself roughly so that I can get it sitting how I want and rub free, so that when I get it painted I wont risk damaging it! I also sourced some ambers from touringking (thanks again man!) which got it looking like this:

stokecan4 by hydeh, on Flickr

stokecan2 by hydeh, on Flickr

stokecan5 by hydeh, on Flickr

sideon by hydeh, on Flickr

Since then i've just been trying to tidy little bits up, and fix a few boring things. I've been kind of hibernating over winter and lost interest in doing much else to it until January when I took it to the SWdubs annual January meet which i'm local to, where I found a few awesome snaps:

Annnnnd that's pretty much up to date! Thanks for reading through if you actually did. Sorry for the mammoth first post!_a_
hydeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
boblaz

My Ride: BMW 325XiT
I love the Alphards. Always wanted them on my MB. What size spacers did you use?
boblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
I'm Jake!!

Love the progression man, keep it up
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330d, alphards, e46, stance, touring