E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
anacondatcu

My Ride: 2000 328i
dsc eml problem (video)

Here is a video of the problem I'm having. Originally the dsc and eml lights would only come on when I would be trying to accelerate (car would stutter and jolt a little as if dsc were trying to do its job, but then wouldn't allow normal driving) would then clear after i coast a little and not touch the accelerator. Now after a year of only doing that, it has begun to stay on, like in the video. In the video I am at a stop. When the RPMs start to jump more is when i turn off the AC...which I've noticed in the past week doesn't work as well when I'm having this problem.

I made the video today after getting codes checked at autozone (p1622 and p1550). car is 2000 328i sedan around 125k miles
If anyone has a Peake tool in the DFW area I would appreciate it if I could scan my car (for a 6-pack of course)

anacondatcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
anacondatcu

Here is a video i made of it last summer. what it would originally do. I'm pressing the accelerator as the car starts the problem. lights don't clear until i take my foot off. So in other words once the lights start coming on the car starts coasting until the lights clear which happens when i quit pressing the gas.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
anacondatcu

the problem has occurred more and more as the weather warmed up, and now that its 100+ each day the car acts up really bad. hope that might help
Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
328ci906

My Ride: 2003 M3
Have you checked your intake boots? I had a similar problem last summer and found that I had a giant tear in my lower intake boot. I also cleaned my MAF and Idle Control Valve and all returned to normal. You may want to start there to alleviate the rough idle problem.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
anacondatcu

thanks, but i've been down that road. i got the idle control valve replaced, cleaned the MAF, and assume when the ICV was replaced they would have told me if there were tears in the intake boot.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Well P1550 is ICV issue, "Idle Control Valve Closing Coil Electrical Fault". Since you have new ICV, I can only assume that connection is bad or could be a faulty part.
P1622 says "Electric Thermostat Control, Final Stage", are you due for t-stat replacement??

Anyway I have carsoft cable/software but laptop's in surgery. I can help you with t-stat replacement and ECU scan if you could bring your laptop, LMK!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
anacondatcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
Well P1550 is ICV issue, "Idle Control Valve Closing Coil Electrical Fault". Since you have new ICV, I can only assume that connection is bad or could be a faulty part.
P1622 says "Electric Thermostat Control, Final Stage", are you due for t-stat replacement??

Anyway I have carsoft cable/software but laptop's in surgery. I can help you with t-stat replacement and ECU scan if you could bring your laptop, LMK!
I've gotten my thermostat replaced too, it was by the same people as the ICV. Last summer I went home and the only place that could work on bmws was the dealership. They scanned it for me and the only code they got was for a bad thermostat...but that was after the other indy shop had replaced it so i did nothing about but tell the indy shop. they said come back sometime to scan it but its now out of their warranty so either way i'm stuck.

Thanks for the offer...my laptop battery won't hold a charge. what part of texas?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
mack89

Duh.
Two new parts, but codes still indicate malfunction of those two parts? That's quite a dilehma...
Might be faulty DTC stored in DME, might need to do some scanner works first.

Anyway, sent you a PM
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
anacondatcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
Duh.

Might be faulty DTC stored in DME
Sorry but what do you mean? like the car is not compatible with the new parts or what?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
mack89

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacondatcu View Post
Sorry but what do you mean? like the car is not compatible with the new parts or what?
No I'm sure they are compatible with your car.

Lets say both parts are in great working condition without a single trouble, then 'faulty parts' is out of option. Unless they installed cheap aftermarket parts, I don't think both prematurely failed simultaneously.

So that leaves one option; drunken ECU(DME). As I heard, it's a computer so it has to have malfunction occasionally. So whenever your PC acts up, you just need to restart the computer, right?
So yeah, as far as I know, resetting ECU does fix those unexplained electronic troubles.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
anacondatcu

I took the car to Ultimate Bimmer Service yesterday. Got the car scanned and reset DME but was able to get the problem to come back. Drove back to them and scanned again and same faults for MAP thermostat activation and Idle speed control valve. The started looking for connection problems or oil in a connector. When they checked the connectors on my DME they found that one of the male pins was bent over and in contact with the pin next to it. When they looked up what the pins were for, I don't remember now but one was for the thermostat and the other was idle speed controller. I'm sure getting that fixed with clear the codes but not so sure about the problem. I guess the problem would be coming form the idle speed controller not being controlled correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0224.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	409416