E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
bkriaras1

My Ride: 2002.5 m3
Exclamation PLEASE ADVISE 2002 m3

Hey guys, just changed the battery in the car because it was weak, and as soon as i started the car, the car started but wouldnt shift into gears or reverse. I have a 02 smg m3.. I waited about 5 minutes, and then the car was working fine???? Is this normal, did the car need to like reprogram it self?

im a bit confused, no service engine lights or anything, i just thought it was a bit strange, i know these cars are very glitchy.. But should i worry about anything. smg pump is fine and shifting correctly..

Please let me knwo thanks..
bkriaras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
todd@tmrtuning
Past Site Sponsor

The most common issue is the SMG pump relay in the e-box . It's located above your pedals- under the hood. remove the torx screws, remove the black plastic cover- SMG relay is the salmon colored one.

NEXT common issue- SMG pump / accumulator failing. The SMG pump is the COMPLETE hydraulic unit for the SMG- except for the actuator on the back of the trans. The hydraulic pump contacts fail. This is EXPENSIVE and requires dealership tools.

The last issue with the SMG is the position sensor on the rear of the transmission (behind the actuator that replaced the shifter) Usually the sensor just loses position and the trans needs to be recalibrated so it knows what gear is where and what force it takes to engage each gear.

These are all assuming that the CLUTCH is good- if the clutch is coming apart- the trans input speed sensor will not see clutch release- and cause shifting issues.

Take the car to a dealer that knows what they are doing, have them calibrate the SMG unit with the ISID- or find an indy shop at www.BIMRS.ORG and have them attempt calibration. They SHOULD be able to read faults. Accumulator faults or pressure faults result in a relay replacement- if the problem continues- it will need a pump assembly. Position faults result in a position sensor.
todd@tmrtuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
bkriaras1

I see and thanks for your help..

as far as the pump relay in the ebox, how much would that cost to buy and put from dealer.

and if worst case scenario its the smg pump hydraulic unit what would that cost me..??

and for the position sensor on the rear of the trans and needs to be recalibrated what am i looking at.

what if nothing continues, and car is working fine? what preventive maintanance should i do with this car a t 87k miles.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
todd@tmrtuning
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkriaras1 View Post
I see and thanks for your help..

as far as the pump relay in the ebox, how much would that cost to buy and put from dealer.

and if worst case scenario its the smg pump hydraulic unit what would that cost me..??

and for the position sensor on the rear of the trans and needs to be recalibrated what am i looking at.

what if nothing continues, and car is working fine? what preventive maintanance should i do with this car a t 87k miles.

If you can get the Part number for you I can get you a pretty decent Price. As far as dealer charge im not to sure on that one. Hydraulic unit itself is pretty expensive your looking at thousand or more. Just take it to a good bmw shop and have em recalibrate it for you. Also check your belts , check your spark plugs , air filter regular tune up stuff. Your cooling system should be good till 100k 02 sensors probaly 100k your ok just keep up with oil changes and changing tranny fluid every 2-3 years helps aswell as doing a coolant flush every year.
todd@tmrtuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
bkriaras1

Great thanks. do you have a contact number, can you get the pump at a cheaper price.

thank you.