E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Toby22

My Ride: 350z
Passenger door won't latch shut

When i try to close my passenger door, it won't latch shut. I'll have to force it or slam the door to properly latch it shut. Eventually the cable came loose and the door won't open from the outside. But when the cable came loose the door would latch shut normally, so that problem was fixed after the cable came loose.

Today i fixed the cable, put it back to the guide and now able to open from outside but the latch issue came back. Anyone know what's going on or how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

This is the cable that came loose that somehow fixed the latch issue, and returned after the cable was put back in the guide.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263608
Toby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
xplodngKeys

My Ride: '99 323i - RIP 328
I had a similar issue on mine where the cable was getting hung up somehow, so I just moved the cable around randomly and it seemed to work. You might also want to lube everything up in there too
xplodngKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Toby22

My Ride: 350z
yea i've sprayed all i can think off with lube, but didn't do anything. When the cable was dangling there was no tension when shutting the door. Now after putting the cable back on tight, the door just doesn't seem to want to shut. Like something inside is not freeing something up to where i have to put a lot of force and pressure to shut the door properly.

In the pic i posted they used zip ties, my clip is still in tacked and put back in the bracket so i didn't need zip ties. I feel like if i break that clip off and just use zip ties i'll be able to put the cable on the guide but not put too much pressure on the cable. I feel like the clip is actually pulling the cable way too much, in this picture the door handle cable is just sticking on top of the actuator mine is actually pulling it down.

Last edited by Toby22; 07-03-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Toby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
xplodngKeys

My Ride: '99 323i - RIP 328
Yeah the clip could be pulling on the cable. Try and see if you can remove the clip at all (been a while since I was in there so I can't remember) without breaking it and then use a zapstrap - there really isn't any harm that can be done other than a half hour of investigation

Fluid every 2 years
Water Pump, Thermostat, Hoses every 4 years.

If you run hot then park the car wherever it is, doesn't matter if its the middle of the highway and you have to bail your car out of impound - it's worth it.
xplodngKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
First do the latch adjustment! Most people do not do it when replacing the actuator and end up having problems not being able to unlatch the door when it's unlocked. At the other end of the adjustment range could be the problem you are having. The instructions for adjusting it are in the Bentley manual for installing a new door lock actuator.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote