E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
FFWD

My Ride: 99 323i, 01 M3 Cab
Burning smell only when heater is on

Maybe I never noticed this before, but after I had my radiator fan replaced, I had a bad smell of coolant coming into the car for a few days, which is understandable. However, since then (and it's been 4 months), I notice a smell of burning plastic, but very faint, coming from the vents when I have the heater on, even with recirculating air. I also opened the windows to clear it out, and when I closed them, the smell came back (still on recirculating). The smell doesn't occur when I am blowing cool air, only when the heater is running. Any ideas?
FFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
sclera2000

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I had the EXACT same problem and it was only once in awhile and very faint and then went away quickly.... but it went away for good after a couple weeks. I complained to the dealer and they said they couldnt duplicate the problem, so somehow it just went away.
sclera2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
jgrecbets

My Ride: e65 750i / e90 328xi
Send a message via AIM to jgrecbets
yep, ive some of those symptoms as well... nobody i talk to has any idea what it can be. It smells like an electrical burn
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
FFWD

Did either of you have work done on your cooling system before the smell started?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
FFWD

So three and a half years later, I still haven't figured out the problem. Since it only happens when the heater is on, and it only comes out of the middle vents, I've worked around it by setting my middle vent temperature to cool. But now the wife is driving the car and likes the middle vents hot, and the smell is driving her crazy. It's not a valve gasket leak, it's not a plastic bag stuck to the exhaust, and it's not the cabin filter. The only thing left is the final stage resistor, which every shop I've taken it to has told me it was not the problem. I will be replacing it soon, because now the blower occasionally stops working even though the blower level on the dash shows that it should be running. I guess we'll see.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
walkabout

My Ride: 325xi
I have the same problem through the heat vent, burning smell for a minute or two, then gone. The smell was somewhere near the brake resevoir. I checked everywhere under the hood and nothing was leaking.
walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
brian328i

My Ride: '00 328i M/T
Its very common that the VCG leaks just a bit of oil onto the exhaust headers. Take off the plastic cover and have a look its probably going to have a bit of oil on the head of the bolts or on the side.
brian328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
CBell330

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
same thing happened to me today actually, i pulled over and checked under the hood....nothing...by the time i got back in the car it was gone. i thought maybe it was a car around me. also my resistor is bad so idk what the hell it is
CBell330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Are you guys serious? This is just Dust that is collecting in the vents and some that sits in between the heater core fins when the car is turned off its nothing to worry about

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
daytonaviolet

My Ride: 2004 M3
Send a message via AIM to daytonaviolet Send a message via MSN to daytonaviolet Send a message via Yahoo to daytonaviolet
check your carpets for any wet spots, but perhaps your heater core has a leak?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
check your carpets for any wet spots, but perhaps your heater core has a leak?
you would be able to tell by the over whelming smell of BMW antifreeze. it smells like blue slurpies

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
CBell330

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Are you guys serious? This is just Dust that is collecting in the vents and some that sits in between the heater core fins when the car is turned off its nothing to worry about

hahaha this guy. take it easy bro, OP (and myself) were just a little concerned about a burning smell as im sure most would be
Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBell330 View Post

hahaha this guy. take it easy bro, OP (and myself) were just a little concerned about a burning smell as im sure most would be
youll notice it bad after summer and you turn your heater on for the first time aswell

Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
CBell330

i smell it when the defroster comes on sometimes....it blows hot as hell. is that even normal for the defroster to be extremely hot?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #15
E46330iguy

The EXACT thing happens to me too. for about 30 sec to a min then its gone. and yes it should be pretty hot since its close to the heater core. rev the engine to about 3k and then feel how hot it is...

Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #16
CBell330

mine stays sooooo hot, i have to ride with the little flaps open and sunroof tilted when its raining and foggy which it was this week in GA. kind of getting annoying.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
This has heater core written all over it... that's essentially whats kicking on when you hit the heat.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
CBell330

grrrrrr. i have to replace?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Bigkai9

My Ride: 2001 335xi
I have the same problem guys. I thought its was fluid form my transmission fluid reservior cuz its al little wet
Bigkai9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #20
stealth09

My Ride: 330Ci
What causes this? I have the same issue, kind of smells like burning oil or something?
stealth09 is offline   Reply With Quote