E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
Schmederling

My Ride: 2004 325 CI
04-E46 Oil Pan Gasket DIY

Hello Folks,

I am looking to tackle a Oil-Pan gasket as I am still leaking oil, have replaced the oil-housing gasket hoping this would stop the leak but still there. I had the Valve cover gasket changed 5-years ago but it does not show signs of leaking. However I will be changing shortly as I will be taking on the VANOS rebuild so will change out all the relative gaskets & parts there. Looking for a DIY on the PAN removal but not much out there & looks like I need to take the sub-frame or cross brace off & support the engine.

Just looking for some vid's a a complete DIY.. checked around but perhaps I have missed it here.

Thanks in advance
Schmederling is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
You're on the right track. Engine lift bracket from Harbor Freight, subframe removal and voila!

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Schmederling

yeah Harbor Freight is out of the question as I am in Canada - will have to figure out some way to support the engine... Was hoping to get a DIY so I am not attempting this job blind-folded.
Seems to not be much out there on this DIY really from what I have researched. Perhaps I will be one to may a full blown Vid for this one...

Is the engine weight more the 400LBS? I have something that may just work to hold it up.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
325CiBrett

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Have you checked your CCV and lower dipstick tube O Ring? I thought I had an oil pan gasket leak and found out it was the O Ring that seals the tube into the pan. It's worth checking into before you go thru the trouble of doing the oil pan gasket. Less time consuming, less tools, less time on your back under your car.
325CiBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Vas

My Ride: zhp
I had made my own engine support bracket. Removed the subframe and had supported the engine with a jack.

You can rig something up I am sure.
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
lathrash

My Ride: 2003 330i
I used these two DIY's when I changed mine...

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...oil+pan+gasket
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

The hardest part for me when keeping the automatic transmission oil cooling hoses out of the way when reinstalling the oil pan. If you have someone else to help hold them out of the way when you reinstall it, it will make it a little easier. Or if you don't have an automatic, you don't have to worry about that part at all._nr_
lathrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmederling View Post
Just looking for some vid's a a complete DIY.. checked around but perhaps I have missed it here.
Haven't done this myself, but have this bookmarked for when I do: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=949089.

A lot of good info throughout the pages and links within, as well. Have seen many say it isn't terribly difficult, just tedious. Hope that helps!

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Schmederling

Thanks Guys - Yeah I will have to check the dip-stick seal & the CCV system before a tackle the pan-gasket... The CCV job looks just as bad as the pan-gasket if not worse... I just stripped out the CATT's from a 530I today in about 4hrs so that was no breeze either was a pain for 16 nuts but have a spare set of Catt"s now...

I have a mechanize that can left people form baths & stuff for disabled people I would assume but has a max weight of 400LBS - very much like a Cheery Picker

Just an observation on the links with the Power-flex bushing shot, those look incorrectly installed the center purple piece is off incorrect alignment... I just change these out yesterday from stock completely worn ones....

http://powerflexusa.com/images/insta.../pff5-4601.pdf

I will differently try & get the job capture all on Vid with good quality - we need to get that out there... I appreciate all the feedback and direction - most of the dis-assembly I have done before on other various DIY's on my ride. Just wanted to avoid & unnecessary work so this will help... I did check Pelican Part but came up with a different model I must have made and error - that one is a good break-down & the other as well with Torque Spec's so thanks Everyone.

I will report back after inspection of the CCV & Dip-stick seal - could be a combination of the two or just the pan it's self... a complete visual inspection is leading me there but I could be wrong.. I started from the stop & working my way down but missed the CCV & Stick so will check.!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
325CiBrett

Don't be intimidated by some of these "DIYers" on here who claim the CCV is an 8/10. More importantly, you won't have to buy the support brace or get under the car for hours.

I'm not saying your oil pan gasket isn't leaking, but that's the last thing I would replace, considering it's usually the most unlikely thing to leak AFAIK. Keep us posted either way!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
325CiBrett

BTW, how many miles on the engine?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
Schmederling

I am running about 264,354KM or about 164,000 miles - this are popping up like VANOS, I have almost rebuilt the front END now... the Power-FLEX bushing yesterday & still have the control arms to replace as I am not back to 100 % yet & then the sway-bar bushings & even maybe the bar it's self... New Bill's you get the picture.

I'll have to hit some body work this summer as she is showing her age & I am in Canada & drive all winter as well.... but the engine is bullet proof so far & even a BMW tech told me long ago these engines are great.

Always wanted the M3 2005 last year built so will be look to grab one some day & have just one for winter & the M3 for summer the winters here are just crazy on cars.

But yeah I hear you - I will look at the CCV & dip-stick seal before tackling the pan-seal - I will try and snap some picks of the leaking area but it's from back to front both sides of the pan except the last half of the passengers side of the pan or last quarter.

I am not worried about the CCV job just time consumer from what I have seen but so was taking out the catt's today so it is what it is...