E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.63 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #81
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
I have horrible bucking in 1st gear in my '01. i just did this tonight on my connectors. will report back.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #82
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
I'm definitely going to try this. had a tab bit of bucking first gear, on occasion; maybe this is what i need to do.

i wonder where I could get electrical cleaner (locally)? Gamestop? lol, idk.
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #83
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Try This

Try your local automotive shop and ask for CRC contact cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
I'm definitely going to try this. had a tab bit of bucking first gear, on occasion; maybe this is what i need to do.

i wonder where I could get electrical cleaner (locally)? Gamestop? lol, idk.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #84
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
did this quick fix this morning... I was sceptical as hell, but said what the heck, its a free mod right? Im still not 100% sure if I feel the difference, I had bucking even after I did the VANOS rebuild. I THINK I still feel the bucking, but it seems to be less. I'll post my final determination after a couple days of driving.

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #85
LA Prince
Banned User

My Ride: Not Your Business
Check out coils
LA Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #86
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Don't forget the basics too...fuel filter, Techron, driving wot occasionally. Bucking sounds like it wants more gas than it's getting. If it's not an intake leak, which I'm sure you all checked, it could be clogged injectors or fuel filter...could be a batch of bad gas too.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #87
Tarmac_E46_M3

Can someone post pics where all these plugs are?

Maf is most obvious(on the intake), but other than that, I'm lost.

I get that bucking more and more every couple days.

Lastly, where can I pick up the salmon relay and where is it located?
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #88
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Can someone post pics where all these plugs are?

Maf is most obvious(on the intake), but other than that, I'm lost.

I get that bucking more and more every couple days.

Lastly, where can I pick up the salmon relay and where is it located?
You need to take the intake manifold on the M3's, then all the connectors are in plain sight. Simply disconnect and crimp the ones that have the same style plug as the ones pictured.

look up DIY's for both the intake and exhaust camshaft sensors for M3's to find out where to find those.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #89
Tarmac_E46_M3

Oh, ok! Cool. I'll be taking that off tomorrow then... gives me something to do!

thanks

Old 12-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #90
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
EXCELLENT info... I had planned on repairing my VCG in early Spring, when it warms up. I have spent DAYS reading and re-reading this forum... You guys are awesome. But I keep seeing stuff I need to fix!

I do have a mildly fluctuating idle so I figure I might as well do the Vanos seal repair while I am replacing the VCG. Then reading up on that and its related threads and posts lured me here. Great info!

So it looks like a complete tune up, clean the ICV, replace Vanos seals, VCG, plugs and tweak the connectors. I wish it was 70 degrees out in the garage... I'd be out there now.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #91
Stinger9

Just so you'll know

I had a little bit of a hiccup at idle at 80K miles and added in the Vanos seals and rattle when I did my VCG (which incidentally was in like new shape when removed). After this work, I can still get a bit of fluctuation in idle speed. So there are no guarantees.
Always post your mileage so we have some idea of where your engine is in its history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
EXCELLENT info... I had planned on repairing my VCG in early Spring, when it warms up. I have spent DAYS reading and re-reading this forum... You guys are awesome. But I keep seeing stuff I need to fix!

I do have a mildly fluctuating idle so I figure I might as well do the Vanos seal repair while I am replacing the VCG. Then reading up on that and its related threads and posts lured me here. Great info!

So it looks like a complete tune up, clean the ICV, replace Vanos seals, VCG, plugs and tweak the connectors. I wish it was 70 degrees out in the garage... I'd be out there now.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #92
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I had a little bit of a hiccup at idle at 80K miles and added in the Vanos seals and rattle when I did my VCG (which incidentally was in like new shape when removed). After this work, I can still get a bit of fluctuation in idle speed. So there are no guarantees.
Always post your mileage so we have some idea of where your engine is in its history.
FWIW, My 330ci has absolutely no idle fluctuations and killer engine response.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #93
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by odgamma15 View Post
did this quick fix this morning... I was sceptical as hell, but said what the heck, its a free mod right? Im still not 100% sure if I feel the difference, I had bucking even after I did the VANOS rebuild. I THINK I still feel the bucking, but it seems to be less. I'll post my final determination after a couple days of driving.
OK, Ive driven for a few days and can confirm it did not help me... Well, I hope it works for others!

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #94
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

Make sure your oil cap isn't leaking. My M3's was and it was throwing everything off.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #95
beauch3

My Ride: BMW 325
I have A 2001 325I with 190,00 miles on it. I did the VANOS seals last summer and it did not solve the surging that I see when I get up in RPM's (above 3000). I will try using contact cleaner and crimping this weekend and report back.
beauch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #96
Stinger9

maybe we have the same problem

I have a manual with 87K.
When partial throttle above 3K rpm, my car stutters, with erratic power slightly, but in an annoying fashion. Full throttle usually pulls strongly and evenly.
Is this what you have?
When did you last do plugs?
I did full vanos, injectors, O2 sensors, and camshaft position sensors, and fuel pump and filter without effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauch3 View Post
I have A 2001 325I with 190,00 miles on it. I did the VANOS seals last summer and it did not solve the surging that I see when I get up in RPM's (above 3000). I will try using contact cleaner and crimping this weekend and report back.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #97
beauch3

My Ride: BMW 325
Plugs and valve cover gasket were changed about 5000 miles ago. I pulled the one plug off of the vanos and used contact cleaner. I drove after that and it ran great. Couple of days later the problem came back however. It seems to be intermittent. When I have it, it is more than a slight stutter. I have not pulled the DISA yet. Anyone have these symptoms with a bad DISA?
beauch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #98
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauch3 View Post
Plugs and valve cover gasket were changed about 5000 miles ago. I pulled the one plug off of the vanos and used contact cleaner. I drove after that and it ran great. Couple of days later the problem came back however. It seems to be intermittent. When I have it, it is more than a slight stutter. I have not pulled the DISA yet. Anyone have these symptoms with a bad DISA?
You need to do it to ALL connectors. And not just one half assing the job. I can't stress this enough.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #99
pr0craztinazn

My Ride: '87 325
For what it's worth, the Bosch style connectors primarily used in our application are also used in a bunch of other vehicles... like Ferraris. Older Ferraris have a cheaper version of these connectors, which are only specified to maintain a good connection for around 5 removal/installation cycles. Once they have been plugged in and unplugged more than a few times, the contacts will loosen up, and then Jorge/George's procedure will fix them temporarily, with the added bonus of using easily corroding metals for the contacts. I wouldn't bother unplugging all the connectors to check this out unless you have to anyway for some maintenance work.
pr0craztinazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #100
Dan_328

My Ride: BMW 328 ci 99
I know this thread has been going on for a long time but I'd like to say top dollar to the guy who posted about cleaning the connectors!

I cleaned and crimped the vanos exhaust connector and camshaft connector as they were next to each other and it has made a big difference. from 1,500 to 3,000 rpm the pull has increased a lot and the engine runs much smoother through the rpm range. The engine note has changed as when you floor it now it doesn't get bogged down, just sounds a lot more free'er flowing. I also think gear changes are less clunkier and smoother (might be in my head though that). Car has had 100 miles covered since diy. I'll be tackling the intake vanos connector this weekend.

Not left car running upon first start up to see if it has cured the irratic idle when cold. will try tomorrow morning I think.

Just to let people know how much work I have done on my car to solve the low end torque issue:- cleaned all intake, maf sensor, ICV (twice), Camshaft sensor (intake), TB, has B25 inlet manifold mod (increasd power top end), spark plugs, new fuel filter, new juel pump.

Fingers crossed this has worked, not checked mpg yet.

Dan

Dan
Dan_328 is offline   Reply With Quote