E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
crackerlee

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Conv.
I had the same problem posted by "E46_M3Power" user (7/13/2011). I think I finally fixed it after 2 years of trial and error. First I tried the silicone bead across the front edge where the canvas meets the rubber. That did not stop the leak. Next I tried waterproofing the canvas top with 303 Fabric Guard which you should do annually anyway. That did not work. I checked that the drainage hole and channel that runs down the side of the windshield was not clogged. It wasn't. Here is what I did: I used a 1/4" solid piece of gray foam insulation, the same material that you'd use to wrap hot water pipes (see sample of foam next to a US dime). Insert a piece about 4 inches long into the support frame along side of the roof (in the pic, the end of the foam is seen).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4114.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	513596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	513597  

Last edited by crackerlee; 06-29-2013 at 12:30 PM.
crackerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
TopHydraulicsInc.com
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: German verts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerlee View Post
Here is what I did: I used a 1/4" solid piece of gray foam insulation, the kind you wrap around hot water pipes (see sample of foam next to a US dime). Insert a piece about 4 inches long into the support frame along side of the roof (in the pic, the end of the foam is seen).
Nice - hope that it works long term, and that it will help many others. The round pieces of foam as shown in your picture are often referred to as "caulk saver" in hardware stores, and they are available in various thicknesses.

Klaus

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
5434-8234530 (hydro-unit)
54347025592 (control unit)
54347025598 (improved hoses manufactured at Top Hydraulics)
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
www.tophydraulicsinc.com

TopHydraulicsInc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
cdodds2004

My Ride: 330 ci convertible
I have the same problem on my vert here in England its torrential rain at the moment and I cant seem to fix it. it seems to puddle on the rubber section and weep through! tried the silicone and treating the rubbers. the drains are clear. but I just cant put my finger on the cause.

rubbers seem in good condition but water is getting through. im getting that frustrated by it im tempted to change the top seal and the seal on the roof itself! but this is going to cost me a arm and a leg when im sure its a easy fix as its not leaking loads but enough to give my mrs a wet bum!
cdodds2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
LStyleD

My Ride: E46 CI Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodds2004 View Post
I have the same problem on my vert here in England its torrential rain at the moment and I cant seem to fix it. it seems to puddle on the rubber section and weep through! tried the silicone and treating the rubbers. the drains are clear. but I just cant put my finger on the cause.

rubbers seem in good condition but water is getting through. im getting that frustrated by it im tempted to change the top seal and the seal on the roof itself! but this is going to cost me a arm and a leg when im sure its a easy fix as its not leaking loads but enough to give my mrs a wet bum!
Solved?

Interesting topic!
LStyleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #25
crackerlee

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Conv.
Actually no. Not solved. While shoving the foam strip into that crevice prevents water from collecting in there, water is still getting past the seal between roof and top of windshield. I cut a piece of 1/16 inch thick foam wrap (the kind you might wrap a fragile item with), placed it near the top of both pillars and closed the roof on it. It's been dry since I did this about 6 months ago but I haven't driven in a heavy rain yet. Obviously not a permanent solution but it might indicate that the rubber is not making strong contact in those areas. Will keep tinkering.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
crackerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:48 AM   #26
LStyleD

Same issue here, v been trying everything but still, unsuccessful.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:39 AM   #27
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Mine only leaks when it's parked in such a way that water can build up in the top/ windshield junction. I mean really build up, like a thunderstorm. And it's in a nose down attitude.

Weird. I still haven't figured out quite what causes it

Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #28
LStyleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
Mine only leaks when it's parked in such a way that water can build up in the top/ windshield junction. I mean really build up, like a thunderstorm. And it's in a nose down attitude.

Weird. I still haven't figured out quite what causes it

Mine only when parked, never when riding, even if it's storming.