E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
misterlau

My Ride: Audi TT, M3 Coupe
Any coupes w/ all windows up button?

Anyone have a diy for fitting the "all windows" button from a vert in a coupe? I would assume the shifter trim and switches would transfer over, but I've never looked at the wiring in a vert. If they could be retrofitted, that would be great, but i wouldn't mind doing some wiring by hand if necessary.

Just to be clear, this is for the switch that you can use for all windows up and down on a vert. I hate having to do all the windows one by one or reaching over with two hands in my coupe
misterlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Subscrizzled.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Cruzer03

My Ride: 03.5 M3 JB/IR 11.5M3
I just hit the alarm and it takes care of it.
Cruzer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Beamn46

My Ride: 02 M3 SMG CB/CINN
Send a message via AIM to Beamn46 Send a message via MSN to Beamn46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer03 View Post
Hmmm....but that doesnt work when ur driving.. i think it would be a good addition to the coupe.
Beamn46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Cruzer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamn46 View Post
Hmmm....but that doesnt work when ur driving.. i think it would be a good addition to the coupe.
Good point!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Sobek305

My Ride: 02 Mustard //M3
haha pwnt!

+2 Subscrizzled
Sobek305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer03 View Post
what do you mean? do you use your remote to do this?

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
misterlau

Anyone have a pic of the underside of the shifter trim on a vert?
I want to see how the wiring for the extra switch is ran.
Trying to figure out if it's easier to retrofit the trim and switches from a vert, or if I should just find somewhere to install my own switch and tap into the existing driver and pass switches.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:37 AM   #10
CAG

My Ride: e46 M3 Cabrio & 323i
The switch controls all windows on the left side of the shifter console. In verts it is required by the top opening and closing mechanism to run all the windows down before the top lowers or raises, then it raises all the windows back up at the end of the cycle.

I dont know if the coupe has this capacity in the system for you to tap. You might want to check into that 1st...
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #11
misterlau

Right. Which is why I'm need to find out how the vert is wired. I can compare it against my coupe wiring, but I actually need to know what I'm looking for.

If the "all windows" switch on the vert is plugged into a connecter that runs independently into the harness or ecu, then it probably doesn't exist on the coupes and we're SOL.

If it only uses independent wiring to allow the top operation, but taps into the standard window switches for the actual window up/down functions, then we may be in luck.

If anyone has pics of the vert wiring, or wiring diagrams from a repair manual, please let me know. I really want to see if we can get this feature into coupes, and I'm not against building my own solution from scratch if necessary.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Joey325Ci

My Ride: 03 325CI & 74 2002
Very Interested.

Maybe this is how we can finally make our rear vent windows one-touch close like the fronts

Subscribed !
Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Cruzer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
what do you mean? do you use your remote to do this?
Yes, but with the aftermarket alarm.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
does anyone know if we can get the rears up one touch?
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
misterlau

I was pretty excited to see if I could make this function available to the coupes, so I took some time after work to test and probe all the leads on the window switches as well as the connectors that carry the signal. After much experimentation with very positive results, I think I'm going to move forward and start to put something together.

For this first mock-up, I'm simply going to attempt to wire in a switch that will allow operation of both front windows simultaneously (both regular AND one-touch in both directions). This was really my original intent, so I'll be pretty happy if i get this working with a clean install.

Next step would probably be tying in the rear windows with just the factory functions (hold open, hold close, one touch open). It'll be interesting to see how this operates in real life since the fronts open and close so much faster than the rears.

In the last step, the only thing left would be, of course, one of the things that many coupe owners have cried for forever. The holy one-touch close rear windows. I'm not even going to think about this unless I reach my second step, and even then I don't know if I'm going to try.

For anyone who wants to lend a hand and further this cause, I'd still be interested in getting some information on the vert wiring for the extra switch. I don't even want to bother buying the switch if it isn't going to tie in with the coupe easily.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
misterlau

quick update if anyone cares:

no one on the board could offer me any help, but i managed to source out the wiring diagrams for all the switches (including the verts). so now i know for sure it can be done. all factory functions can be tied into one button. one-touch close on the rears is possible, but is a completely seperate project in itself. i wanted to get my hands on a vert switch since I'm pretty sure I can get it to work, but i haven't found any FS and no one offered theirs, so I'm dropping that idea altogether.

For now, the plan is to modify my stock switches to do what I want. I'll be picking up a spare set of switches this afternoon for a mockup. I'm going to see if I can replace the driver's side rear window switch with a front one and use that for all the windows, and then tie both rear windows into the pass side rear window switch.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlau View Post

no one on the board could offer me any help, but i managed to source out the wiring diagrams for all the switches (including the verts). so now i know for sure it can be done. all factory functions can be tied into one button. one-touch close on the rears is possible, but is a completely seperate project in itself. i wanted to get my hands on a vert switch since I'm pretty sure I can get it to work, but i haven't found any FS and no one offered theirs, so I'm dropping that idea altogether.

For now, the plan is to modify my stock switches to do what I want. I'll be picking up a spare set of switches this afternoon for a mockup. I'm going to see if I can replace the driver's side rear window switch with a front one and use that for all the windows, and then tie both rear windows into the pass side rear window switch.
for the effort!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
My question is this: what in your plan is going to stop sending power to the rear pop out windows once they are closed or opened? If your system does not have some type of "time out" for the back windows you are just going to burn out the actuators.

I would also be worried if this would cause any computer problems since this could cause conflict signals when you open or close the door with the windows up (remember the computer cracks the front windows on the car when they are fully up when you open a door, and then closes them again once the door is shut).

I think you are treading in dangerous electrical territory on this...
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Joey325Ci

My Ride: 03 325CI & 74 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlau View Post

EXCELLENT !!!!

Please keep us posted !!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #20
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote