E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
slixx1320

My Ride: AW ///M3
Send a message via AIM to slixx1320
VCSL V2 Bumper Install - My DIY & Impression

Well after contemplating whether or not to purchase a V1 (save a few bucks) used I decided to go with the V2 due to the ease of installation w/ the built in carrier. My car is an 03.5 so I needed the additional hardware for the conversion. Per Fern's DIY and his help I think the install was pretty straight forward. I wont list the details as Fern's DIY has most of those stuff. I'll just list the modification of what I had to do to install the bumper.

From a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, I think it was about a 5-6 due to some dremeling/modification to the bumper nuts for the ASA bolts. I'll get to pictures of that later.

Tools needed
-cordless power drill
-dremel tool
-tap (for the ASA bolt if needed, size is M10x1.5 pitch)
-time and patient

Here is the bumper how it sat when I first picked it up. (Apologize if pictures aren't as pretty. Snapped them with my iphone as it was next to me.)

With the 1pc lip

Quick removal of my OEM bumper for a test fit and small work/modification to bumper before it goes off to the paint shop. From my surprise, fitment was actually pretty damn good.

Now, here comes the parts where it took the longest as I had to run around to the local fastner/hardware store to find nuts/bolts, screws, retainer clips and taps.

From thoroughly inspecting the bumper I noticed that the bumper needed attention to the following area.....
-The built in nut and holes that was pre-drilled for the ASA bolt was not aligned and no where near alignment if installing the ASA bolt from the bottom.
-The built in nut had so much gunk/epoxy from the fiberglass resin/hardner that I was unable to smoothly screw in the ASA bolt by hand. It actually damaged/cross-threaded my ASA bolt when I was test fitting them, I had to re-order another set.

With the tap I started tapping the nut hoping it would go in smoothly as the nut was slanted and out of place. Here is the outcome of what happened after I got half of it in.

After this, I made another trip back to the store to pick up another tap.. got home and started at it again. I got the tap to go through, but now the nut had come loose from it's present position in the carrier and was spinning freely. How was I ever to remove the tap with the nut spinning and no way to have access to stick a wrench to hold it while I remove the tap.....

Here's where I got out my dremel and starting hacking away at the carrier....
I cut up a small portion just big enough to fit my 18mm wrench in to hold the nut and remove my tap.

With the nut removed...

Both sides of the nut was off and I had to do the same with the passenger side. I wasn't going to stick the tap in there as the driver side didn't have as much room to work with as the passenger side. I just started hacking away at the carrier to remove the nut.

Once both nuts were removed, I purchased these retainer clip/U-Clip as I was not going to put nuts back in there and epoxy them onto the carrier. This I found was the easiet method and adjustable if the ASA bolts didn't align.

U-Clip installed in place of the nut.

NOTE...This took serveral on/off of the bumper for the retainer clip to be adjusted and aligned with the holes from the bottom.

After test fitment and installation, the bumper was sent off to the bodyshop.
Bumper primered.

Bumper base coated.

Clear coated

and the finished product with more clear coat.

I just wanted to say thanks to Fern for helping me out with questions I had. Installation wouldn't of been straight foward or possibly smooth w/out his help. :thumbsup2: to the CSL King. Much appreciated!!

Also want to thank Vorsteiner for the quick product as I needed it before Mfest. :thumbsup2:

And thanks to Ayed (BMWDrifter), for painting the bumper in such quick notice and the quickest turn around. His prices are good and a very cool guy. You won't be disapointed in his prices, GUARANTEE!!

Will post pictures of the final installed product when I get the chance. Again I apologize if pictures weren't the best and the write up wasn't the best. It was a quick post.
slixx1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
Apparently my bumper had the same issue, according to the installer. The bumper fit is about 90-95 percent right now. the passenger side bumper/fender gap is noticeably larger than that of the driver side. Do you have any finished pics?

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

Last edited by grkm3; 07-21-2011 at 09:05 PM.
grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote