E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Stalling...in Jackson, Wyoming. Gotta get to Denver.

2002 325xi 124,000 miles

Stalling when car is put in 'D' and accelerator pressed.

First, let me say, "sorry" for posting this new thread *first* and then searching for this problem in existing threads. I'm stuck in Jackson, Wyoming and need to get back to Denver, 650 miles from here. Any help is appreciated.

The car began intermittently stalling when at idle but it ran fine on the highway. Now, it stalls at highway speeds. Luckily, it got into town and is parked. It's Saturday and the Bimmer mechanics come back to work on Monday. SES (Servcie Engine Soon) illuminates.

I've contacted all the auto parts stores but none have a working code reader.

Any ideas? I'll be here, reading the "stall" threads.

Thanks in advance.
--Stuck in Wyoming
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
damn dude. wish i could help. the experts will be here soon enough. good luck!!

PS...Hows Wyoming? lol
CoupeMagic323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
latitude39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeMagic323ci View Post
damn dude. wish i could help. the experts will be here soon enough. good luck!!

PS...Hows Wyoming? lol
Fine, fair weather...in the 70's. Gorgeous place. I've never seen the Tetons up close except on place mats. I highly recommend visiting.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
latitude39

Codes read:
1) P1512
2) P03410 - Sensor A - Position sensor Bank 1 - Circuit Malfunction
3) P1620

Without looking any further, I'm guessing it's a Intake camshaft position sensor.

I'm going to drive home tomorrow.

I'm done with this thread. No further inputs needed.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
latitude39

Intake camshaft position sensor got me

I am resurrecting this zombie just to close out this thread I started 26 months ago.

My intake CPS acted up 650 miles from home. I was certain I would have to get the part FedEx'd to Jackson, WY and spend a couple more days there. At 124k miles the problem came on suddenly, without warning, causing the car to sputter, surge and die.

I managed to coax this ultimate driving machine back to my accommodations where I let it sit overnight. Next morning, it fired up and made the nearly 700 miles without a hiccup.

I was so confident that I forgot about the latent problem. The day after getting back in town I went out for errands. The demons vexing my car awoke while sitting in the left turn lane of a busy intersection. Stall. Restart. One foot on gas, the other on the brake. Buck, stammer, stall. After restarting a dozen times, limping from traffic light to traffic light, I got it home and ordered a new CPS.

Lessons learned:
-Intake CPS can shut you down
-if your e46 has a superseded part number for CPS, replace it without delay.