E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
wheel-man

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
Interest in E46 sedan carbon fiber parts?

I am gauging interest for E46 sedan carbon fiber hood, roof and trunk lid parts. I have contacted an independent contractor of carbon fiber automotive (F1) and aerospace parts (Speedcraft Composites, CA) who is willing to produce prepreg carbon fiber pieces that have perfect OEM fit (unlike vacuum impregnated pieces) and will provide the highest strength and the lightest weight possible.

I am hoping to get at least 10 people who would be willing to purchase the parts with me to help offset the cost of producing the molds. The roof will be exactly OEM with the hood and trunk still in the design/idea phase. I am leaning towards a CSL style trunk lid with appropriate changes to fit the sedan shape. As for the hood, a power bump like on the M3 and engineered louvers to dissipate heat are in the works.

At this point, each part will be approximately $2k and will be a perfect OEM fit and, with the exception of the roof, will require to be painted just like the parts from Ferrari, Pagani, the Z06 Vette, etc. And similar to these parts, the paint will weigh more then the part of itself.

Please let me know who is interested and who would be committed. I am ultimately doing this to reduce the weight of the vehicle for performance as well as fuel economy without compromising the integrity or look of my vehicle.

Thank you.
wheel-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I wish I had the budget for this, I really like your direction on this

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Herbalicious

My Ride: 330ci, M3, Z06
That's some serious $$$....Not sure it would be worth it on these cars.
Not knocking the idea, just way out of most peoples budget for modifications.
If you got all 3 parts your looking at $6,000 plus the install and paint...after all is said and done you may have paid half the value of most of the cars on here for this mod!
Herbalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
^well said. Parts are way too expensive. Even if you could come through with a perfect fitting lineless sedan CSL trunk, I would take one look at the price and run away like a little girl......
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
wheel-man

I understand everybody's concern. But, for example, if 20 people are in, each part is $1k, etc. The more people who want to do this, the better it is financially for everyone who is involved.

As for the cost of the car currently relative to the cost of modifications, well that is an equation that has a personal answer. As for me, I love my car and because of the size of the current 3-er/M3 being too big, and the current 1-er being too small, I have decided to keep it and modify it heavily; which is currently in progress and to be completed hopefully by late August/early September.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Herbalicious

For me the money is not the issue, it's the cost Vs. benefit of the mod.
At least when you spend thousands on a super charger you can quantify the money spent immediately.
And then you talking about cutting my roof off to install a carbon fiber one and changing hoods and trunks seems a bit much.
If you building a track monster with 600 hp and you need to lose the weight to gain a few tenth's...ok, but I'm gonna spend thousands to make my car lighter for fuel economy and a little bit of power?

I don't know this for sure but aren't there companies that already make these parts?
Please don't think I am trying to start an argument, I'm not.

Last edited by Herbalicious; 07-26-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
wheel-man

There are companies who make carbon fiber parts that do not have a good OEM fit and are not very light.
I undestand your point Herbilicious about instanteous gratification for a modification with respect to power, etc. But, a reduction in weight, especially weight loss that lowers your center of gravity improves handling and responsiveness of the vehicle immensely.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Herbalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man View Post
There are companies who make carbon fiber parts that do not have a good OEM fit and are not very light.
I undestand your point Herbilicious about instanteous gratification for a modification with respect to power, etc. But, a reduction in weight, especially weight loss that lowers your center of gravity improves handling and responsiveness of the vehicle immensely.
You are right, it's a fundamental principal of physics.
I happen to own an M3 (e46) and A Corvette ZO6 which has many carbon fiber parts, I would not spend a dime trying make my M3 handle or perform like my ZO6...don't think it's worth it.

I will say I am interested in seeing how your car turns out if you proceed with this.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
wheel-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalicious View Post
You are right, it's a fundamental principal of physics.
I happen to own an M3 (e46) and A Corvette ZO6 which has many carbon fiber parts, I would not spend a dime trying make my M3 handle or perform like my ZO6...don't think it's worth it.

I will say I am interested in seeing how your car turns out if you proceed with this.
Nice rides

I will definitely keep you posted
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
Herbalicious

Thanks, Just picked up the ZO6...a little scared to let it loose.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Hacauce

My Ride: M3
I would be interested if you could make a facelift hood with just the M3 bulge and no vents. I also agree the cost might be too high, however, I am waiting until I see the product to assert that.

Hacauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man View Post
At this point, each part will be approximately $2k and will be a perfect OEM fit and, with the exception of the roof, will require to be painted just like the parts from Ferrari, Pagani, the Z06 Vette, etc. And similar to these parts, the paint will weigh more then the part of itself.
CF parts on race cars do NOT require paint. Sponsorship requires paint. Many race cars have CF parts that are not painted and in preseason testing, many teams will run an unpainted car.

I seriously doubt the paint will weigh more than the parts unless the painter is an idiot or the parts are too thin.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Herbalicious

I would imagine you want to paint the parts...

Sent from my DROID PRO using Bimmer App
Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
wheel-man

Ladies and gentlemen, the trigger has been pulled for the CF roof and I am now waiting for an update on the CF hood build time. I decided to go with a stock appearing OEM E46 330i look hood to keep it under-the-radar.

Stay tuned
Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
Mastertek

My Ride: E46
Whatever happened to this?
Mastertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
wheel-man

Smile

In process... Stay tuned.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
In for progress pictures

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #18
wheel-man

Soon Trashcan... Soon.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Infinitysquared

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330ci
I'd be excited to see pics too
Infinitysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
In process for a year? Does not sound promising.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote