E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Vegas-01E

My Ride: 2001 330ci Conv.
SES Always On.....No Codes!!!

OK, I have searched the forum trying to find a thread that addressed this issue I had three codes P0444, P0505, P0709. I have a friend that has an extremely expensive ODBII reader and had him verify the codes, which he did and he cleared the codes. Only issue is that when he cleared them, his system still indicated that the SES light was still on with no codes. SO, I had him recheck everything and initiate another reset and it still showed the SES light on with no codes. Has anyone had an issue like this? If so, what was/could be the problem. I need to get this thing to pass smog

Vegas-01E is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i
Have the issues been fixed? There must be a reason why the light is on.

GM No Reverse - posts 443, 456

E46 NO START - A list of possible causes

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
Vegas-01E

I am hoping so. I replaced the evap solenoid this past weekend due to the return of the P0444 code. Drove to work this morning with the SES on. I had my buddy hook his scanner into the ODBII and pull the codes. He still showed the P0444, which pissed me off. He reset the codes and the SES went off and no more P0444. Drove home (43 miles) still no light. Keeping my fingers crossed. Now, one question; does the light stay on until reset? Or, does it reset itself when the issue is corrected?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Vegas-01E

Well, no such luck. Headed to work this morning and before I could get on the freeway, the light came back on. I will check codes again this morning and verify that it's indeed the P0444. If so, I have narrowed the issue down considerably from where I started.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
lszlszx

The light resets itself when the issue is corrected, if it's cleared and it comes back, it's not fixed.

Does your scanner show readiness monitors?
If enough monitors clear before the light comes back,
you can pass it.

My Volvo has a cat deficiency code. I can make the code go away with a freeway drive.
Took it to smog check right after and passed. Now the light is back but who cares?

Last edited by lszlszx; 03-18-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Vegas-01E

All I need is for it to pass emissions and then I can take my time to rectify the issue. Not sure how long it takes to clear the monitors and I can actually have one not set, but it is about 34 miles of highway driving to get to the Smog station that I use. Maybe that will be enough?? Don't know.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-01E View Post
SO, I had him recheck everything and initiate another reset and it still showed the SES light on with no codes. :
This means there are no generic codes, but there are manufacturer's codes stored as fault. Your friend's one million dollar generic code reader is worthless. You need code reader that can read BMW manufacturer codes, they are not the P0444, but rather 3 digit codes like 235 for example.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
lszlszx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-01E View Post
All I need is for it to pass emissions and then I can take my time to rectify the issue. Not sure how long it takes to clear the monitors and I can actually have one not set, but it is about 34 miles of highway driving to get to the Smog station that I use. Maybe that will be enough?? Don't know.
Clear the code before you take off and check the monitors when you get there.
If enough monitors cleared and the light is still off, you're good to go.
If your scanner reads live data, you can keep it plugged in.

I drove about 25 miles after clearing the code and the monitors were ready, pulled right up to the smog station and passed. (my Volvo)

This smog stuff sucks!
Good luck!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Vegas-01E

UPDATE!!! P0444 is history...and that's a good thing. However, now I have the P0171/174 Lean condition codes for banks 1 and 2. Can't think of anything that I messed with that could cause that. All I did was remove the air box and the PS reservoir. Any thoughts???

Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
Vegas-01E

OK, I reset the codes.....again and drove the car home. I only got a few miles up the road before the light came back on. I pulled the car in the garage and used my propane torch to check for vacuum leaks. I made sure to pass the propane all over the intake side of the motor, around the DISA, throttle body, MAF and even around the intake manifold and valve cover. Never once did the idle change. I pulled the dipstick and did notice a slight tonal change in the motor that went back to normal as soon as I put it back in place. Now, what I did notice today was the slight dieseling sound at the top of the motor. I am thinking that the DISA may be on its way out. The thing about that is, it's a new sound. Could the DISA cause a "lean" condition that would affect both banks? Any information at this point is extremely helpful.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Vegas-01E

This morning, I checked out the DISA and it was BAD!!! The flapper was extremely loose and the retainer pin fell out as soon as I turned it over while inspecting it. I was able to buy another unit from our local Euro Parts house and got it installed. I still have the SES light on but I am not sure if it is supposed to reset automatically, or if it is something that takes some drive time. I will pull codes tomorrow and see if I can get the light reset.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #12
lszlszx

What matters is the condition of the O ring. Take off the intake boots and check them carefully. I don't know if the propane method works well on these cars.
If the boots check out, look at the CCV lower hose next.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Vegas-01E

Angry Out Of Time!!!

Well, I am out of time I had to break down and take it to the most highly recommended Euro shop in town; Frank's European Service. They have ruled out everything that I had done (IAC Evap Solenoid and DISA) they also ruled out the CCV system and smoke checked it twice with no leaks and checked the intake boots. Any other ideas as to what might be causing the P0171/174 codes? They still have the car and even gave me a weekend loaner (nice) at no charge, save for gas. They have a flat rate diagnostic fee of $149.00 and told me not to worry, they will find the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed. This car has to be registered by Wednesday

Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
lszlszx

check valve cover for cracks, vacuum line that runs around the head.
If the code came on while driving, this can also be a weak fuel pump.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
Vegas-01E

Red face Tackling The CCVV This Weekend!!!

Well, as it would be, I am going to jump on the CCVV this weekend and see where that gets me. They (the shop) are certain that it is the CCVV. If it's not, I just saved myself $900.00 (Parts cost me $200.00) and eliminated one possibility. Here's to a little luck

Old 04-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
Vegas-01E

OK, $200.00 and 3.5hrs later, and I still have the P0171 and P0174 codes. I guess there absolute wasn't so absolute. Glad I didn't pay $800.00 plus for labor. So on it goes.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
Vegas-01E

Update!!!

Ok, CCV did not solve the issue. I took the car back to the same shop and payed the diagnostic fee (because i refused to let them do the CCV work). This time they came back with a bad valve cover gasket, cracked hose from the intake to the fuel filter and some obscure "Y Connector/Pump" thing. I had no more time so i paid them $857.00 to fix it all and get me a smog certificate, which i did in fact get. I drove away feeling some relief....until I got 4 miles away and the light came back on. Of course it was the same two lean codes. So, i take the car back to them last Monday and they were perplexed. Subsequently, they had my car all of last week (at their expense) and updated my DME programming, and replaced some hose off the rear of the intake, and a cap of some sort that was cracked. They called me Friday and told me they have been through four complete drive cycles and no light. I picked up my car and drove off and the light came back on at.....you guessed it, 4 MILES!!! I took it to AutoZone yesterday and sure enough, P0171 and P0174. So here is what I know has been done. CCV system, new DISA, Valve Cover Gasket, Fuel Filter Vac Line, Y Connector/Pump, Vac line On the manifold (unkn) and a cracked cap.

Now, while I was at AutoZone yesterday, the gentleman that helped me, reset the codes and looked at my intake (he too is a BMW enthusiast). In doing so he removed, or should I say, pealed my air filter out of my air box. The filter was so filthy that there was dirt and debris, tons of it, on the MAF side of the filter. Is it conceivable that the filter could be part of this issue? Or, would this create a rich condition?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
lszlszx

Dirty filter is supposed to cause a rich condition.
At least you got your smog done.

You need your own scanner that reads live data and freeze frame to help with the diagnosis. Get the torque pro if you have an android.
How much did you pay for this car if I may ask?

Last edited by lszlszx; 04-14-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Vegas-01E

Kind of embarrassed to admit, but I paid $5700.00 plus $800.00 to ship from Florida to Las Vegas Nevada. The price was killer based on photos, description and verbal assurances that this car had been "Meticulously Maintained", two owner with absolutely no body damage, oil leaks or any issues relative to serviceability. None of the previous was or is true. Now I am stuck with a car that I could never recoup much from. I do like the car but this lean issue is driving me mad. Question, can there be a vac leak between the airbox and the MAF? I am going to test fuel pressure this weekend and I bought all new intakes boots, couplers and O-Ring for the MAF-Airbox. DISA has a new O-Ring and the DISA itself is new, new VCG and several other vac lines and a New VCC system. What's next???

Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #20
BeemerMeUp

My Ride: 330i Sports Edition
Is there any misfires in injectors? Also p0444 & p0300

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BeemerMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote