E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
E462005

My Ride: 2005 325
Car wont start

Went this morning to start the car and it turned on. I noticed tho when i did start it that it started kind of funny. So i turned it off and tried to turn it on again and all it does is click. All the lights and everything turns on just fine. I dont think its the battery or alternator. The car is at 126000 miles. Possible starter problem. Feed back is welcomed
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
E462005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
What kind of funny? Seriously, describe.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
E462005

Re: Car wont start

Sorry, it was kind of sluggish when it started. Turned it off then tried to turn it on again and all it does is click. All the lights flicker with the clicks when i try to start it on

Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
E462005

The car has power radio and all lights kick on. And it makes a clicking sound when trying to start

Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
Car wont start

Take the battery out and have it tested. Your going to have to do the process of elimination because of your skill level.

Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Bmill160

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert

^^ do this. I travel a ton for work and left the car in a covered lot at the airport for a week last winter and had electrical problems ever since. Identical to what you're describing. I would put it on a trickle charger twice a week but couldn't get it to hold a charge and if i tried to put the top up or down without the car on it would go completely dead.

Use the voltage test on the dash and see if you're getting power back to your battery and you can maybe rule out the alternator. Should be 12v with car off, 14+ with it on.

In my scenario, the cold temperatures caused the battery to drop a cell, had it replaced on warranty at auto zone, problem solved.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
///M3 VERT, COLD AIR INTAKE, CF FRONT SPLITTERS, HALO PROJECTORS WITH CLEAR CORNERS, 15MMFx12MMR SPACERS, FRONT STRUT BRACE, ROGUE ENGINEERING POWER PULLEY KIT, BLACKED OUT KIDNEY / SIDE GRILLS, SILICONE INTAKE BOOT, ///M-STITCH SHIFT BOOT / HANDBRAKE BOOT, MEGAN RACE EXHAUST, ZHP SHIFT KNOB
Bmill160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
E462005

Yea im going to check the battery after work

Last edited by E462005; 09-04-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Bmill160

Quote:
Originally Posted by E462005 View Post
Yea im going to check the battery after work
To your pre-edit reply: It could be that the battery just isn't producing enough cold crank amps to turn over the engine. It can still have plenty of juice which is why you have accessories running. Think of voltage as the speed of the electricity and amperage as the volume of the current, as in a river. A 6" deep creek moving very fast can still move all of the little things you put in its way, but it won't move you. On the other hand, a 6' deep river moving slowly may knock you off your feet but you won't go that fast.

That's the same difference in your battery. So if you do the dash test (it takes 30 seconds) and you see that you have 12v with the car off, you have plenty of "velocity" to run the accessories. If you turn the car on and test it and it jumps, it means the alternator has a higher output than the battery and is pushing energy back into the battery. If the voltage doesn't go up, we probably have an alternator problem.

If the voltage reads ok, and the problem stays as you described, it could be that the battery has a bad cell and just isn't producing enough "volume" of electricity. The cells that are working, are still spitting it out at the same speed, voltage, but there is less of it than there should be. This would be a battery problem.

If the voltage test checks out, and the battery is removed and tested and checks out, we have a voltage leak. Something is drawing power while the car sits and then it's a big problem.

So not to add worry, like I said I had the same identical symptoms, and mine was a free replacement at AutoZone.
///M3 VERT, COLD AIR INTAKE, CF FRONT SPLITTERS, HALO PROJECTORS WITH CLEAR CORNERS, 15MMFx12MMR SPACERS, FRONT STRUT BRACE, ROGUE ENGINEERING POWER PULLEY KIT, BLACKED OUT KIDNEY / SIDE GRILLS, SILICONE INTAKE BOOT, ///M-STITCH SHIFT BOOT / HANDBRAKE BOOT, MEGAN RACE EXHAUST, ZHP SHIFT KNOB
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
E462005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmill160 View Post
To your pre-edit reply: It could be that the battery just isn't producing enough cold crank amps to turn over the engine. It can still have plenty of juice which is why you have accessories running. Think of voltage as the speed of the electricity and amperage as the volume of the current, as in a river. A 6" deep creek moving very fast can still move all of the little things you put in its way, but it won't move you. On the other hand, a 6' deep river moving slowly may knock you off your feet but you won't go that fast.

That's the same difference in your battery. So if you do the dash test (it takes 30 seconds) and you see that you have 12v with the car off, you have plenty of "velocity" to run the accessories. If you turn the car on and test it and it jumps, it means the alternator has a higher output than the battery and is pushing energy back into the battery. If the voltage doesn't go up, we probably have an alternator problem.

If the voltage reads ok, and the problem stays as you described, it could be that the battery has a bad cell and just isn't producing enough "volume" of electricity. The cells that are working, are still spitting it out at the same speed, voltage, but there is less of it than there should be. This would be a battery problem.

If the voltage test checks out, and the battery is removed and tested and checks out, we have a voltage leak. Something is drawing power while the car sits and then it's a big problem.

So not to add worry, like I said I had the same identical symptoms, and mine was a free replacement at AutoZone.
Awesome!!! And thank you for breaking it down for me i really appreciate that. I will be back on later today to let you know the results to this problem! Again thank you

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
E462005

Car wont start

Quote:

So did the voltage test and it read 094 to 097.... I took the battery off and I'm going to auto zone to get it tested there...

Old 09-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Bmill160

Probably doesn't hurt to have it checked out, but wondering if maybe you did the wrong test? It should say 12.2V or something near that, then when the car is on it will go up to 14.something and should move around as the power usage fluctuates.

Check this out
Old 09-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
E462005

Car wont start

Maybe I did, but that is the video the I watched to do the voltage test. It was my first time doing it. Now I went to advance auto parts because they are the closest. I had them test it and the tester said it had to be recharged? So I'm going back in a bit to find out if its holding a charge.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Bmill160

Yep, that's the annoying part about it, they normally have to have it sit on the charger for an hour. Just make sure they don't take it off the charger and test it and say "Yep, it's charged, must be a good battery." They tried that with me twice before I finally pressured the guy to "try again." He came back and said yea, it dropped a cell.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
E462005

Car wont start

Quote:
Yep, that's the annoying part about it, they normally have to have it sit on the charger for an hour. Just make sure they don't take it off the charger and test it and say "Yep, it's charged, must be a good battery." They tried that with me twice before I finally pressured the guy to "try again." He came back and said yea, it dropped a cell.
Had him test it twice in front of me. so I got home put the battery in and car started up just fine. I went back to advance auto and had them recheck it along with the alternator. He said every thing is good.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
Car wont start

It could have been corrosion on the battery terminal I'm thinking.

Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote