E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Harmonic Vibrations & Stuff

I pose this question mostly to you guys with Engineering Degrees. I figure most of you have been reading about the M54B30 & its inherent Harmonic Vibration problem that kills the oil pump at higher RPM's. I have a thought on a simple way to help "Eat-Up" those bad vibrations, so I look to your extensive knowledge in engineering to help answer this seemingly simple question.

My thought is to mount an appropriate size hydraulic shock between the block & the chassis, thinking it would help eat-up some of the harmonics coming off the block. It certainly would be cheap enough, and my thinking says that if the hydraulic shock had a raise in temperature, it's working.

Thoughts ?

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
The E30/M40 has a hydraulic shock absorber on the left side of the engine, next to the engine mount. Are you talking about a similar thing?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
The E30/M40 has a hydraulic shock absorber on the left side of the engine, next to the engine mount. Are you talking about a similar thing?

Similar, kind of.

I would want this theoretical shock mounted high enough up so that it can get the Maximum rocking movement. My thought is that it would be exposed
to the most vibration mounted this way.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
As in some honda engines?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
That's a "bobble strut" and they're used on cars with soft engine mounts to minimize the movement of the engine. Typically FWD stuff with squishy rubber mounts to isolate the unibody from first and second order vibes. It won't work to solve our problem because 1) our vibrations are torsional, running the length of the crank, so the net rocking effect on the engine is zero and 2) they're way too high of a frequency to be absorbed by something like that.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 06-09-2014 at 05:15 AM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Yeah, I don't see that being able to absorb anything useful. I'm sure if you put an LVDT or linear pot in the same position you're talking about, you'd see the amplitude as measured in that direction would be barely distinguishable from noise.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

I am not talking about a tiny shock like the one posted in post #4, but a larger unit that would really dampen something like an atv or car. So a large diameter unit (30 to 50mm) that holds plenty of hydraulic fluid, but short enough to actually fit in place.

Like most of us I too run upgraded motor mounts, but clearly there is still some motor movement (rocking), just not as much as stock. So lets say for the sake of saying that this theoretical "hydraulic shock" experiences a 1/4 of an inch or about 6mm of piston travel. And in this 1/4 of an inch of travel the damper experiences a relatively high frequency rate, specifically above 5000 RPM.

Wouldn't the shock/damper be "eating-up" harmonic vibrations in its 6mm of piston travel ?

Rob43

Quote:
Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
unevolved

So you're saying that shock would oscillate back and forth with a 1/4" stroke? I mean, I'm sure it could under certain load/unload conditions, but certainly not anything that would dampen the harmful vibrations. It sounds like what you're proposing is a linear analog to a axial harmonic damper, which is what we've been talking about. I don't think it's oriented correctly to do any good, though.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
So you're saying that shock would oscillate back and forth with a 1/4" stroke? I mean, I'm sure it could under certain load/unload conditions, but certainly not anything that would dampen the harmful vibrations. It sounds like what you're proposing is a linear analog to a axial harmonic damper, which is what we've been talking about. I don't think it's oriented correctly to do any good, though.

Yep, that's pretty much what I'm saying.

Keep in mind that I'm one of the ten (10) guys that owns an ATI Damper from the original group buy. I thought up this idea because I was looking for a way to build a "Poor Mans Damper" for everyone else, assuming it works; even a little.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 06-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
unevolved

I'd be curious to see how well it would work. I just don't see how it could help.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
SoloII///M

I think you're confused about the nature of the harmonics that are occurring in the crankshaft. They are not causing a rocking moment on the entire engine.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
I think you're confused about the nature of the harmonics that are occurring in the crankshaft. They are not causing a rocking moment on the entire engine.

Certainly not confused.

It's just the easiest way to describe it for the masses. Would you be more comfortable with the word "Buzzzzzz".

Rob43

Quote:
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
SoloII///M

But it's important to understand how to effectively mitigate it. There's a reason the ATI damper is a press-fit at the end of the crankshaft.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
lolapexseals

My Ride: 330i zsp
You are confused though...

Harmonics/resonance in the crankshaft won't be affected by an engine brace.

Just because the side effect of the harmonics is a "vibrating" engine doesn't mean dampening the vibrations will solve it....

Need a harmonic damper directly attached(press-fit/welded/etc) to the crankshaft...

Last edited by lolapexseals; 06-09-2014 at 05:22 PM.
lolapexseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolapexseals View Post
You are confused though...

Harmonics/resonance in the crankshaft won't be affected by an engine brace.

Just because the side effect of the harmonics is a "vibrating" engine doesn't mean dampening the vibrations will solve it....

Need a harmonic damper directly attached(press-fit/welded/etc) to the crankshaft...

This is a reasonable answer, and makes sense.

Any other thoughts /anyone else ?

Rob43

Quote:
Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

I put in a phone call to ATI Dampers today & had a pleasant conversation with John who is one of ATI's technical guys. After giving him the all the details on our motors & my "Out Of The Box" thinking, John said that the only way to remove harmonics was to do it at the crank. No matter what I could attach to the block, it wouldn't have any real value as to suppressing unwanted harmonics. Oh well, so much for trying to build a "Poor Mans" damper.

I did learn that the rubber o-ring rebuild kit costs about $50 dollars and it is easy for the end user to rebuild his own ATI Super Damper when needed.

Dead Thread,
Rob43

Quote:
Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #17
SoloII///M

For what it does, the ATI damper really isn't that expensive. And yes, it's the only solution to the problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
reggid

My Ride: .
a damper like that could dampen the global response of the engine like rigid mode of vibration (lateral, longitudinal, bounce, roll, yaw, pitch on its mounts) but it wont stop the flexible modes of the block and crank

Last edited by reggid; 06-11-2014 at 06:58 AM.
reggid is offline   Reply With Quote