E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
four19boyz

Send a message via AIM to four19boyz
Trouble removing power pump hose (from reservoir to radiator)

Hi Everyone,

My power steering pump went out a couple of weeks back and I am now trying to finish up with replacing the pump itself, the reservoir, and the two hose connecting to the bottom of the reservoir. It took me a while to figure out which is the correct pump (luk-20), but I finally got the parts in and began replacing everything until I came across the hose to the radiator. See attached photos (the hose is the one with a tiny red arrow). I've spent the past two days trying to get this thing off without removing the coolant tank. I also went out and bought a fuel line disconnect tool, but that didn't work either.

Has anyone replaced this and figured an easy way to take it off. It's driving me nuts. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4660.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	342901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4661.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	342902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4663.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	342903  
four19boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
This is the tool used to disconnect these kinds of lines:

http://www.asttool.com/detail_page.p...ber=BMW%205346

I read somewhere that someone got it off without using this. I went ahead and bought one of these but have not gotten around to replacing all my P/S hoses and pump.

BTW, before replacing the pump, did you flush your lines or at least run out all the old fluid and put in new fluid? Mine is a LUF-20 also.

Last edited by genuity; 12-30-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: fix URL
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
four19boyz

Send a message via AIM to four19boyz
Hmmm, I guess I should give that a try. Have you ordered from them before? Do you know how much it cost?

I have also read that some people were able to "finesse" it out, but I have tried for two days now and still no luck.

I did run the old fluid out and flushed the system with new fluid prior to putting on the reservoir. My local mechanic told me that I needed to get under the car and blow into one of the hose to flush it some more. However, I'm not sure which hose he is talking about. Does he mean the high pressure hose? When I pour new fluid into the reservoir, it seems like it just drains straight into the power steering pump. Am I missing something? I followed this guy's instructions:

http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/power_steering_flush/
four19boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
vsyucla

My Ride: 3251
I know what you mean. I replaced all the other power steering line except for this one. I couldn't get it off either. I have 3 different quick disconnect tool and none of them worked. I tried for 20 minutes and then I just gave up.

You have to find a tool that will give you leverage. I try to think of something in today. Maybe try a big pair of pliers and a pry bar. Maybe use a long pry bar against your quick connect tool. Becareful not ot break the connection though. It seems the radiator connection is plastic.
vsyucla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
I replaced those quick connect hoses a couple months ago. Since you probably already have a new hose, mess around with it so you can see how the connection mechanism works. I was able to do it with ordinary pliers and you can also probably use an open end box wrench.

You push the hose by the metal part towards the front of the car and, at the same time, you need to push the plastic piece towards the back of the car. Use the pliers and slip it down in front of the plastic part and, keeping the pliers or wrench vertical so as to apply even pressure on the plastic part as far around the circumference of the hose as you can, pry/pull the plastic piece back towards the rear of the car while at the same time pushing the hose towards the front of the car by pushing on the metal part. Once you're doing this correctly, the plastic sleave should slide in/back and once that happens, pull back out on the hose instead of pushing it towards the front of the car and that should release it.

Man is it hard to explain this. Someone should post a video of doing this. I think you probably get what I'm trying to say though. My car is a '99 and it had about 122k miles on it at the time and I was still able to get it to come loose after messing with it for just 5 minutes or so.

Last edited by eweis; 01-02-2010 at 10:34 PM.
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
genuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by four19boyz View Post
Hmmm, I guess I should give that a try. Have you ordered from them before? Do you know how much it cost?

I have also read that some people were able to "finesse" it out, but I have tried for two days now and still no luck.
About $30. I ordered from the forum sponsor:

http://www.bimmertools.com/product-p/ahbmw5346.htm

I read too about people being able to disconnect it without the tool but I went ahead and bit the bullet. I have not gotten to replacing my P/S hoses and pump in my laundry list of items to do, so unfortunately I have no experience with this yet...I'm still trying to figure out how to take off these bloody pinch clamps. They are preventing me from doing removing my ICV, DISA, and TB so I can replace my CCV and hoses.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
vsyucla

My Ride: 3251
For those pinch clamps, I just used a large diagonal cutter. Just grab a thick part and just bend it back until it breaks off.
vsyucla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
MIRoundel

My Ride: E36\5, E46 325ia
I've replaced it during PS flush.
Here are some tips:
1) First of all look at the new hose and try to use "quick-connect coupling". In BMW TIS you can find the following image.
Put some pressure on plastic gray socket (3) -> it will release blocking spring (2) inside coupling.

2) Now start removing.
- Push return hose/line towards the front of the car.
- Use your fingers to press (3) to the back of the car as it's mentioned in the first step and release the hose to the back of the car. I know that it's not too much free space but it's possible.

The key point is to try and understand how the "quick-connect coupling" works.
MIRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
///Mechanic

My Ride: None currently
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined (which I hope you are since you are tackling this project), remove the drivers side headlight assembly for MUCH easier access.

Some can be stubborn, even with the tool made to remove the hose. We only had one pair floating around the shop.....so I did it with 2 pairs of needle nose pliers. With one pair, grab a hold of the rubber part of the hose closest to the quick connection, and clamp down HARD. Pull the hose towards the front of the car, and while pulling forward on teh hose.....take the other pair of needle nose pliers and push the plastic quick connect back into the hose connection. While holding steady pressure on the quick connect......pull the hose towards the rear of the vehicle. Don't get frustrated, and don't yank......take your time, as you might have to do this several times. You don't have to force it.......if you are having to pull hard, you haven't released the quick connector.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
I did it last weekends.
Yes there is very tight room that you can push and pull same time.
But I made this look wire(thick enough) and put it behind and when I push the metal part pull that wire and pull whole thing together and it came out easy.
you have to push and pull same time then pull out.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	343770  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
genuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRoundel View Post
Put some pressure on plastic gray socket (3) -> it will release blocking spring (2) inside coupling.
So, do I push #3 towards #2 as I pull #4 away from it all?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
MIRoundel

My Ride: E36\5, E46 325ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
So, do I push #3 towards #2 as I pull #4 away from it all?
Friend, the best explanation is here.

#4 is a radiator coolant line.

1) You need to push all assembly to the front of the car, it means push #2-3 to the #4.
2) While pushing all assembly to the front of the car - push plastic 'quick connect' #2 inside coupling #3.

Once again, before removing from the car - try to do the same on the new hose.

Maybe it'll take your time, as you might have to do this several times.
No need to remove drivers headlight, but in case of removing you'll have too much free space to do that.
MIRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
silbergrau_zhp

My Ride: 2003 330 ZHP 6sp
My Solution to remove the hose going from the PS fluid reservoir to the radiator

I used the following:

1 13mm wrench
1 17 mm wrench
1 2" block of wood or plastic
1 12" piece of duct tape
1 large channel lock plier

Align the two wrenchs with the block 2.5" between the block and the head of the two aligned wrenches. The 13mm is on the left, then the block, then the 17mm wrench. Wrap the duct tape around the 2 wrenches and the block between them...

You do see where I am going with this don't you? Wyle-E-coyote **** right here, I'm telling you.

Then put the 13 mm wrench around the pipe going into the ornery quick-disconnect fitting, and the 17mm wrench around the metal shoulders part of the connector. Now, using the channel-loks right near the connector (on the round part of the wrenches) squeeze and pull. Walla. I have just proven to you all and myself that I am slightly smarter than a squirrel.

photos.e46fanatics.com/showphoto.php/photo/97803/title/img-5217/cat/500

Last edited by silbergrau_zhp; 08-02-2013 at 07:26 PM.
silbergrau_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote