E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
sihatch

My Ride: E46 M3
Looking into MPG on e46 M3's.

I know this has been semi beat into the ground, however a lot of the threads from various bimmer forums are a lot older and I am not sure if people are getting there mpg from the mpg gauge on there car or manually calculating it.

Manually calculating it is much more accurate than the gauge on the car. If e46 m3 owners could chime in with there mpg in average, city, and highway that would be great. Also mileage and transmission of the car. And if you could also indicate that you manually calculate it, that would be awesome!

This is how I manually calculate it in case you want to know how. Fill your tank up, trip your meter back to 0 and drive your car to at least a 1/4 tank remaining. From there fill your tank up again and then take the number of miles you drove from the previous fill up and divide it by the amount of gallons you just filled. For instance 250 miles driven with 11.2 gallons of gas filled. 250 divided by 11.2=22.32mpg.

Thanks in advance guys/girls!
sihatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
sihatch

Nothing?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Yes, nothing. You repeatedly misused there and their and they're.

The car calculates the average over time, so unless one resets the car on each fill up, the number they get from any one fill up may deviate from whatever the car has to say.

Having said that, I reset my E36 on every fill up AND calculated manually what the mileage was until I discovered that the car and the calculator came up with the same number within a decimal place or two -- close enough that I stopped carrying around the calculator. So, I'd have to disagree with your conclusion about the accuracy of one over the other. If you do not get the same results as the car gets, then you are not doing it right. The car is taking the average over several dozen tanks of gas, and this makes the results different than any one tank of gas.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
sihatch

Has to always have a grammar corrector on the forums.... Let me put this out there to make it clear. I have no intention of trying to make my grammar perfect. As long as you can make it out on a forum thats all I ask. Its a forum not a class. If it makes you feel better, then continue to be off topic and disagree with others. In the end I was looking for mpg not critiquing of my grammar.

Anywho.... Sorry this is old but just thought I would update for others. I have been using the method I suggested by tank for accuracy per tank. Its simple, calculate the mpg each tank and that will not only show how your car performs for said tank but will also be more accurate as you are wanting to see your current mpg, NOT mpg over courses of tanks. If you do... simply average your last few tanks in and calculate accordingly. And fyi the computer is not as accurate. I can guarantee you that.

I also get about 20.5 mpg which includes about 80% city driving and the rest being freeway. Pretty impressive I think. I expected less due to the stop and go inside streets I mainly drive. I have received as much as 24.5 mpg roughly with about 60% freeway and the remaining being city. So far thats the best i have received since thats the most I have driven on the highway per tank. Hope this helps others.

Last edited by sihatch; 12-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
You don't care about grammar? It's how we communicate with each other, exchanging ideas and you should care about it. Imagine if you we having problems with your car but did not own, couldn't afford or have access to a code reader or garage and someone tried to help but couldn't communicate the correct information. Language, grammar and literacy are essential to success in any endeavor.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
I'm 90% city driving I get 200 miles on a full tank....
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
sihatch

Obviously I know this. But reading any of my posts, are you going to sit there and say "man what is he saying" or comprehend it? Its kind of like your kids, neices, nephews, or etc that use slang words or etc. That is far from proper grammar yet we all understand it old to young. Get what I am saying? All I am trying to get across is that either way as long as you speak decent english or type decent grammar your point will get across I guarantee you that. Its not like myself or anyone else on these forums go back and spellcheck every single sentence. So why jump on someones post and critique it when you obviously get what the OP is saying or any poster for that matter. Not trying to argue its just wasted time when say someone is asking about a battery or a fuel pump. I see improper grammar and far worse than mine and I dont sit here going through the posters paragraph or sentences and telling them what they did wrong.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
sihatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballstowalls View Post
I'm 90% city driving I get 200 miles on a full tank....
What is your driving habit if you dont mind me asking? mileage and is it smg or 6 speed?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
02 SMG Vert
19inch aftermarket wheels
Dinan 3.91 rear and Dinan SMG and ECU software

I get about 360 miles before the lights come on, I average 22-24mpg. I calculate the miles driven versus the amount of gas used. I take it pretty easy but still get on it sometimes, I do about 75% highway from speeds of 55-80mph.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
wildpig

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Convert
22 mpg 50% highway. Taking it easy most of the time not going over 3-4k rpm. On long cruise highway only, got 430 miles to a tank before
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihatch View Post
What is your driving habit if you dont mind me asking? mileage and is it smg or 6 speed?
Regular driving and I have 2005 m3 vert 108,000 miles and its SMG it's just a lot of stop and go traffic :/...

Last edited by Ballstowalls; 12-12-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
sihatch

Awesome! That means I am about right on par with majority of the e46 m3 drivers. I came from a 2005 acura tl and I am currently getting a mpg or two less in the city. The tl did much better on the highway however I am surprised the city driving is very similar in mpg. I also have 19 inch wheels that are a bit heavier then the stock 18" mated with a six speed manual.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
nbennettksu

My Ride: M3 / CLtypeS
I average 21-25 mpg, depending on how much city driving I do... Its usually about 60% highway and around 22.5. I try not to shift below 3k

6-speed and 111xxx on the clock.

...........................SoFla PY...........................

Last edited by nbennettksu; 12-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
nbennettksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Hmmm something is wrong with all of your cars or your right foot. I get 17mpg on average, I have the car at WOT every chance I get. If I can put 333hp to work and still get 17MPG Im good.....

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKBRUM View Post
Hmmm something is wrong with all of your cars or your right foot. I get 17mpg on average, I have the car at WOT every chance I get. If I can put 333hp to work and still get 17MPG Im good.....
Oh, CONGRATS! you that douch bag that makes everyone around him think BMW owners are all tools, thanks again
M3 are the fastest thing in the world so you gotta show it off everywhere, put that 333bhp to work, oh yeah thats the cool thing to do everywhere.

anyway i got 21.6mpg in the last 310 miles doing 80% city driving.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

Last edited by AzCamel; 12-13-2012 at 11:56 PM.
AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
I average 19mpg, most city.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCamel View Post
Oh, CONGRATS! you that douch bag that makes everyone around him think BMW owners are all tools, thanks again
M3 are the fastest thing in the world so you gotta show it off everywhere, put that 333bhp to work, oh yeah thats the cool thing to do everywhere.

let the kid have fun with his car. If he wants to floor it everywhere thats his choice. Who gives a crap what other people think, I sure don't.

i average 18, mainly city, 28 mile commute round trip. I pull onto one highway every morning thats rarely busy in the 2 mile stretch i'm on it, so ill have some fun there, then its cruising speeds again.

Last edited by rcsummers; 12-14-2012 at 12:29 AM.
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #18
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:

Wow really I see this forum may lack some tact. I was teasing not to mention this car was not built or intended for economy. I don't DD this car and I drive it as a release, so your dam right I take it for spirited drives as much as I can. So next time why don't you think twice before making a personal attack.

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:

Somebody has a case of the Monday's eh? ........ Relax turbo, it's just a forum - if he was your kid maybe you could get upset huh..

Average of 22 mpg combined hwy and city driving - completely stock 2006 ZCP. Typically 60/40 hwy to city driving. If I am on the hwy only (for example my road trip to Vegas in 2011 from Oregon) I got an average of 24-27.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Speaking for myself.....the range calculator is there for a reason...as is the MPG gauge... My range is never but 10 miles off what is calculated for the estimated 17-21mpg...

I can usually get 300 give or take.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote