E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Has anyone had the Mason rear strut bar installed?

Has anyone tried this? Will it fix (or mostly) the rear subframe issue? From what I understood, it allows the force from the two subframe hard points gets distributed onto the cross bars then to other parts of the chassis in this case the two rear towers. Not only that, but it will stiffen up the rear chassis as well so you kill two birds with one stone. At least that how it works on paper.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
I've been looking at this. Looks interesting. I don't really use my trunk anyways. The install is pretty straight forward other then dropping the subframe down to remove the studs and drill the holes for mount a new stud that

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
I've been looking at this. Looks interesting. I don't really use my trunk anyways. The install is pretty straight forward other then dropping the subframe down to remove the studs and drill the holes for mount a new stud that
Based on their own instruction, it doesn't look like you have to even lower the subframe. Just remove the two torx screws that hold the subframe to the chassis, the subframe still being hold in place.
There's another option that lets you have more space in the trunk.
http://www.masonengineering.net/Docu...stallation.pdf

Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Westrace

But then I am thinking there might not be a free lunch. Now that more of the force being transmitted to the chassis, you'll feel more harshness and vibration which the subframe was designed to isolate in the first place? true?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
808elise

My Ride: OG E46 M3/AW E46 M3
Here is a custom setup that was done on my car:

Just enough room for 5gal meth tank and pump to fit behind it. Car feels very nice and stiff comparing to my last E46M. But pretty much everything else was reworked too. It also has subframe reinforcement kit, susp, sways, engine mounts, trans mounts, ect ect....

More info in my Journal below:

M///
My Journal II
VFE570 - DIXIS - TWC WIDEBODY - AP RACING - KW V2
M///
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
I have a vert so this doesn't matter for me but I have been interested in this. So I'm in for some more responses.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
I personally don't see this as a cure for subframe mount failures - and certainly not this many years after manufacture.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Here is a custom setup that was done on my car:

Just enough room for 5gal meth tank and pump to fit behind it. Car feels very nice and stiff comparing to my last E46M. But pretty much everything else was reworked too. It also has subframe reinforcement kit, susp, sways, engine mounts, trans mounts, ect ect....

More info in my Journal below:
Do you feel the rear strut brace add any noise or harshness into the cabin?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
808elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrace View Post
Do you feel the rear strut brace add any noise or harshness into the cabin?
To tell u the truth I have no idea. With everything done to the car it is jus noisier mostly due to engine mounts, tires, susp, exhaust, supercharger, ect ect.... It would b difficult for me to tell the difference if any at this point do to all the other background. If u check out my journal there is a link in there about how it was made and some testing and stuff from another guy that did the same thing.

M///
My Journal II
M///
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
To tell u the truth I have no idea. With everything done to the car it is jus noisier mostly due to engine mounts, tires, susp, exhaust, supercharger, ect ect.... It would b difficult for me to tell the difference if any at this point do to all the other background. If u check out my journal there is a link in there about how it was made and some testing and stuff from another guy that did the same thing.
Ok, thanks. I'll check out your Journal Link.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Similar thing done to my old M3:

Felt amazing after it was in, so much more stiff and predictable.
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Similar thing done to my old M3:

Felt amazing after it was in, so much more stiff and predictable.
But looks like yours are welded onto the frame, and maybe a little bit enforcement at the subframe hard points. The Mason's bars are more like bolt-on.

Did you feel any added noise or harshness?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
It's definitely welded on and basically bulletproof. No added harshness, I was actually surprised. It made the car a new beast, i would do it again if I got another M3.
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #14
808elise

That is just like mine. Mine is also welded. I have a lot done to this car but most of it was completed by the last owner including this. So I can't tell you before and after. One thing I can tell you is that this E46M compared to my last one is on a whole new handling level. My wife is so annoyed with cornering in third at this point that she threatens to open the door and jump out every day now.

M///
My Journal II
M///
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Johnson023
Banned User

My Ride: SDF
I know I found a replica for 3k but you know it looks better if it's original BMW parts but demm
Johnson023 is offline   Reply With Quote