E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
BGAndrea

My Ride: 2012 Audi S4 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to BGAndrea
Has anyone "recharged" their AC? Anyone use this?

Hello,
My AC is OK in my car, but my friend is driving up from Virginia and told me she ran out of freon in her car. It got me thinking about the AC in my own car, and realized I know nothing about BMW AC. Does this sytem use freon? Does it have to be maintained? Topped off? 134, 134a, etc...? I just watched this youtube video:

The guy in the video used Interdynamics Arctic Freeze Ultra Synthetic R-134a Recharge Kit with UV Dye. Has anyone on here done this? Is is BMW ok?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
///3ME

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
A/C systems typically need zero maintenance. If you are low on refrigerant, you have a leak that needs to be repaired. R-134a can be a little temper-mental, due to it's expansion rate. The only way to get optimum performance is to charge the system by weight, which requires an A/C machine. The M3 holds 740 grams, or 1.63lbs. Not the smallest system, but still small enough to easily overcharge. In this system, an overcharge will develop the exact same symptoms as an undercharge in hot weather. The hotter the ambient temp, the lower the cooling capacity.

With that said, can you do it with this method? Sure.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
I did it worked fine as my car was parked a few years before I bought it.

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
emax

My Ride: 06 M3
Usually a good check is vent temps. Stick a thermometer in the vents and read with the AC on full.

With Freon, the temp would be about 32-34 degrees. The R-134a is not a cold, maybe 45 degrees, depending on outside temp, but I don't have a spec chart for the M3. Anyone?

If you are reading high, you may need a recharge.

'06 CB/IR w/SMG/NAV/HK/19" BBS RGR/Hankooks
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Dan1983

My Ride: 325i, CB M3
Did this recently with my car. The seals on the compressor get old after a couple years and start to slowly leak not really a big deal, i recharged the system a couple months ago and it's still working fine.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
AC systems are completely closed loop. Which means if you need a recharge you have a leak - which in turn means you need to fix the leak rather than just dumping freon in there periodically. DO NOT use any of the "liquid sealer" products as you will regret it.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
I did this recently with great results. Bought a gauge that has a freon can port. Hooked up the gauge first. Saw that it could use some freon. screwed in the can and shook until empty. close the valve and saw I still had room for more freon but chose to leave as is and assess. A/C worked much better. I'm happy.

BTW - follow directions. Car has to be running. And you can easily connect and disconnect the gauge with the car running. I turned the car off with the gauge connected and the pressure goes up quickly. I feared the system was over pressurizing. It isn't . It's pressure increase in the short leg of the port.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
cliffbmw

My Ride: M3
I've used this once on my e46 325i but not yet on my M3. Ac worked great for 3 yrs with no recharging.
cliffbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
I had a leak and used it in June of last year after replacing the hose. AC has work great ever since!

Found the leak!!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
I had a leak and used it in June of last year after replacing the hose. AC has work great ever since!

Found the leak!!
Can you point me to where you found your leak?

Thanks