E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Euro S50B32 Headers on M52TU/M54 Engine

I'm wondering specifically if the bolt patterns are the same between the heads. I'm well aware of the exhaust port differences. That will be addressed when I get to removing the head for Polishing the Intake and porting and polishing the Exhaust. These also have a different flange at the base of the headers, so a custom exhaust is necessary.

Will they flow/ scavenge better because they are equal length or am I better off saving up for an Active or SuperSprint full exhaust?

Pics of said headers:

What say you guys?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Already asked, and they will need some modification to fit. Another problem is that the post size is HUGE compared to the M series motors, and you could potentially lose a lot of power because of poor exhaust gas velocity.

Don't let me discourage you though, I say give it a shot anyhow. There are plenty of people willing to buy it off of you if it doesn't work.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Hornung418

I don't have them. I was thinking the same regarding the exhaust velocity. If I port matched and went to 34mm exhaust valves, I think there's some benefit to be had...but I'll save it for a non DD.

Looking to hear from others.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
I'm running them and made nice gains from 2500-4000 rpm. Didn't help the top end much, I'm guessing because the head was already restricted somewhere else.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Hornung418

Are you running OBD1 or OBD2 M52TU/M54?

My guess is that the exhaust valves don't allow enough flow in their stock form to take advantage of the larger header of the S50 headers. I'd like to find out what it would actually take to work. I'll have to gain access to a spare M52TUB28...I know of one. I may have to make it a joint project.

Keep the suggestions coming. Iceman, I've searched and didn't find any legitimate info regarding this modification.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Hi

The headers will bolt on but you will need to re-work the remaining exhaust system to match.

As for performance, I have not seen the results in performance.

Oh and I have the same set at home waiting to be installed.
MSportBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Hornung418

Nice! I've planned for a custom exhaust. Are you planning to port and polish the exhaust side of the head?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
The first plot is with OBD2 headers, the second is with euro headers and everything else the same; a direct exhaust-to-exhaust comparsion showing the bump from 2500 to 4000 due to the euro headers.

The gain was about 15 torques.

The final plot is with all of the tuning figured out and ZHP cams. I was actually getting close to that without the cams, so the gains were mostly from tuning.

Motor is running OBD1 electronics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno comparisons.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	411077  
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
My plan is to set it up for ESS TS2.5+ I have been slowly buying parts which I can enjoy in the interim but would suit FI later down the track. Unsure on exhaust porting at this stage

I'm not expecting much with the stock M54 2.5L to be honest but like I said its about the bigger picture

I am really curious though on some results with these headers on M54s - I dont think I have seen any...
MSportBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Out of curiosity how do they sound compared to the stock manifold?

And theoretically speaking, would S50B30 headers be more appropriate since the displacement is closer and the rev-limit a little lower?

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-31-2011 at 07:26 AM.
TerraPhantm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
NBMW

My Ride: A BMW
Interesting question...I've been wondering what the difference is between the S50B30 and S50B32 headers...

All I notice from pics is there are no 02 bungs with the 3.0L versions...maybe some E36 M Fanatics could clarify
Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Are you running OBD1 or OBD2 M52TU/M54?

My guess is that the exhaust valves don't allow enough flow in their stock form to take advantage of the larger header of the S50 headers. I'd like to find out what it would actually take to work. I'll have to gain access to a spare M52TUB28...I know of one. I may have to make it a joint project.

Keep the suggestions coming. Iceman, I've searched and didn't find any legitimate info regarding this modification.
Ask hoveringuy, he's the one who did it.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #13
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMW View Post
Interesting question...I've been wondering what the difference is between the S50B30 and S50B32 headers...

All I notice from pics is there are no 02 bungs with the 3.0L versions...maybe some E36 M Fanatics could clarify

Hard to tell, but it seems like the tubes are slightly smaller diameter. And there's no O2 bungs. Judging by the ETK, the S50B30 M3s had the O2 sensors immediately before the cats in section 1. There were no post-cat sensors.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #14
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Oh snap I am just planning to do this swap on a right hand drive M54B30 (damn steering column in the way). I intend to fit them to the head as-is and then do the porting work later (coninciding with FI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Hard to tell, but it seems like the tubes are slightly smaller diameter. And there's no O2 bungs. Judging by the ETK, the S50B30 M3s had the O2 sensors immediately before the cats in section 1. There were no post-cat sensors.
That's correct, I've already unplugged my post-cat O2 sensors, you throw codes but no CEL. I'm unsure of the size differences but I think having the bungs already there makes the S50B32 manifolds more desirable. My euro car does not have the first resonator, I have 2 cats in it's place so I'm good to go

Part 2 is my centre section: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=18&fg=10
Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
Sankekur

My Ride: 2004 330i
Also planning to do something similar to this in the future, got myself a set of S50B30 headers, will probably just mod them to take O2 sensors, will see how thing go. One of my Friends will hopefully do the same thing so I can just see what he had to do and learn from that.

As far as differences between the B30 and B32 headers goes, it is just that the B32 ones has the bungs for the O2 sensors, measured pipe diameters on both and it is exactly the same.

@Dan330Ci~@When you say the steering column is in the way do you mean that it just in the way when you are trying to get the header in, or is in the way all the time?

Last edited by Sankekur; 08-12-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Sankekur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
Dan330Ci~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankekur View Post
@Dan330Ci~@When you say the steering column is in the way do you mean that it just in the way when you are trying to get the header in, or is in the way all the time?
All the time unfortunately. You can see here it runs through bank 4-6, hence why none of the LHD manifolds will fit and why I want to fit this S50 one, also the RHD aftermarket manifolds are thin on the ground (and expensive).

Hopefully you wil be able to update us on how the O2 sensors fit (they are the same but the orientation on the manifold may not allow you to fit them), also what modification or adaptor pipe is required between the manifold and the exhaust system.

Last edited by Dan330Ci~; 08-13-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Dan330Ci~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #17
Sankekur

Sorry but maybe I am just being dumb and misunderstood you, are you having problems with the steering column being in the way on a RHD M54B30 while trying to fit a S50 header? Or have you having these issues with another one and hence you want to go rather go for S50 headers?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Hornung418

I think Dan has been trying to fit the LHD headers from a LHD Euro S50 to his RHD M54. So he actually needs the RHD Euro S50 headers to fit his RHD M54.

Last edited by Hornung418; 08-13-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: LHD...RHD...not the same difference LOL
Hornung418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
Sankekur

That would make sense. My logic told me that the header that I got came of a RHD S50, where the steering column would be in the way so it should reasonably clear the steering column on my RHD M54, of course I did not base my decision on this logic alone, I did at least speak to some people (one of which will be hopefully be doing this soon so I can bum some info and tips from him) according to him the steering column just needs to be move to the side for fitment but everything should be fine. This of course does not supply me with 100% certainty, but I bought a set in anyway but only because I know they a pretty sought after so I should not have a problem selling them if needed.

There is of course still the issue of the O2's. As far as connecting to the exhaust I am planning to get a custom exhaust made to fit to these headers so I will just have them made with a matching flange.

Will try and post up as much details as I can as I do things. (Will try and get pricing for the rest of the exhaust on monday)
Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
Dan330Ci~

I have a RHD M54 and am planning to fit RHD S50/S52 headers, however I do not know if they fit as the steering columns between E36 and E46 may be different. Hence just because it's a RHD S50/S52 header does not mean it will definitely fit a RHD M54, even if the bolt patterns are the same.

I didn't mean that I'd actually tried this yet, when I said it's in the way all the time I meant for other headers such as LHD ones (any type), sorry for the confusion. I didn't realise you were talking about the RHD S50/S52 type.

EDIT: I agree that they do look like a good fit, hopefully we just need to move the column out of the way for fitting.

Last edited by Dan330Ci~; 08-13-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Dan330Ci~ is offline   Reply With Quote