E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #121
Race

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
That's why i went with the M52 headers at my 330Ci..

I believe you can make them fit cause the engine is down and you can work it better (spacer)..
I know some people made the conversion, but seems like the solution is a secret
Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #122
Alun1976

My Ride: BMW Z4
Sorry for such a late reply on this, I had only just joined the forum and haven't really been on here much but here goes. I will try my best to explain what I had to do to make them fit. The first problem I had was that the flanges had to be modified to enable bolting to cylinder head. This meant cutting the tops of the flanges off flush where there are screws used to secure the heat shield. The through holes were tapped right the way through inside the exhaust and then plugged using the existing bolts with copper washers. With this done, the flanges would fit flushto the cylinder head but I noticed that one of the tubes on the first bank (cyl 1,2,3) was catching on the block. So, what I did was was cut a very small 'V' out of all three tubes on the first bank, allowing me to bend maybe 1 or 2 degrees upwards such that it didn't Foul with the block. The V was cut right where it joined the flange and such that the widest part was at the top of the tubes and the narrowest part at the bottom if you know what I mean. Once I bent the tubes up slightly 1 or 2 degrees I then rewelded the tubes back to the flanges.

Once this was done the exhaust manifold fitted and bolted directly to the cylinder head and they did not foul the block. No spacer required just used M3 exhaust gaskets.

My cylinder head had to be drilled and tapped to accommodate all the new studs.

I intalled the engine into the car with the manifold attached and it was kind of pot luck if the steering column would foul one of the banks. Fortunately, it cleared, not by much, maybe 4mm, but I was happy with that and haven't had any problems.

If I was going to do this job again, I would consider relocating the oxygen sensor positions or at least modify the boss on the m3 manifold. The Reason being is that the M3 sensor location is further downstream and also they use a deep boss such that the tip of the lambda isn't in the flow of hot exhaust gases, whereas my previous headers the lambda tip protruded inside the exhaust. The reason I mention this is that I have a slight split second hesitation when I step on the gas, like it may be a lean misfire or something. However, this only happens in closed loop, and if I disconnect the lambda sensors it goes away. It could be that my lamda sensors are becoming sluggish or that they aren't positioned correctly. I'm a bit lost with it as when I dropped the engine in the car along with a ESS TS2 supercharger, I had the ECU reprogrammed via ESS and AFAIK when they did the TS2 tune, they used existing headers and not M3 headers. Not sure if this will make much of a difference but the car runs perfect with the lambda sensors disconnected.

Anyway, if you need any clarification on anything then fire away.

Cheers

Al
Alun1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #123
GuidoK

My Ride: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
You're talking about the primary lambdasensors I guess?
I have a set of schmiedmann headers which also have a fairly deep lambda boss (maybe not as deep as the s50 headers) but I haven't experienced a split second hesitation. At least not that I know of. I have the ts2+ tune (incl. cams).
My Schmiedmann headers compared to stock:

If any the engine feels more responsive than my previous ts2 tune (with original manifold).
I know of 1 guy who ran his ts2 car (330ci) for a small period with ts2 tune and s50 headers (also an english guy so also the rhd header problem) before installing ts2+, but I haven't heard anything about an engine hesitation. He is mostly on the e46zone.com forum.
But these things you have to compare irl to see (or not see) a noticable difference.
Maybe your lambda sensors are getting bad (although that doesn't happen often on fairly low mileage cars I think)
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-05-2014 at 02:43 PM.
GuidoK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #124
Alun1976

Yes, primary sensors. I am going to replace my lambda sensors in the first instance, but what kind of baffles me a little is that, after speaking to Bosch technical who manufacture the OEM sensors, they advised that the tip should definitely be in the flow of the exhaust gases and that if it wasn't you would get a lean condition. Now this is strange, since the bosses on the S50 headers are so big that the tip of the Sensor does not protrude inside the exhasut at all. They are set back from the exhaust gas flow. The laws of aerodynamics state that the flow at the boundary layer is equal to zero and fastest in the centre due to wall friction, therefore the flow actually over the tip of the sensor is theoretically zero, albeit there would be a small amount of turbulent flow around the boss.

Another idea that I keep thinking of is that, could the hesiattion be the tuning? Is there a preset switch over time from closed loop to open loop. The heistation only seems to happen when I put my foot down quickly, it isn't there when I gradually accelerate.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #125
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
I know some people made the conversion, but seems like the solution is a secret
It may also be proprietary information. Personally I don't think its too much of a significant mod. If my car was LHD I would've used a set of Super Sprint headers and called it a day.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #126
GuidoK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun1976 View Post
but what kind of baffles me a little is that, after speaking to Bosch technical who manufacture the OEM sensors, they advised that the tip should definitely be in the flow of the exhaust gases and that if it wasn't you would get a lean condition.

Another idea that I keep thinking of is that, could the hesiattion be the tuning? Is there a preset switch over time from closed loop to open loop. The heistation only seems to happen when I put my foot down quickly, it isn't there when I gradually accelerate.
I think the flow is turbulent enough to give the lambda sensors fresh exhaust gas. That sampling rate/feedback loop is pretty slow I think.
If it wouldn't work all the s50 engines would have big problems. I guess they use the same sensors and not a special kind with extra long sensortips, but maybe someone could comment on that who has hands on experience with tinkering with the s50 exhaust system?

I don't know if the hesitation is tuning related. Maybe. Do you also have the hesitation if your engine is still cold? As long as the lambdasensors are not warm, the sensors are also in open loop.
Maybe it's the tuning and the DME waits or calculates the amount of fuel the injectors have to put in, and that causes the delay. In that instant the engine would be running lean, but I guess that time is too short to do any harm. On the other hand a lean engine produces probably more HP so that would not relate to the delay. Unless the fuel injection would virtually come to a hold, but I don't know if that happens.
I think the only real delay/hesitation is maybe possible in the throttlebody?

But if it's tuning related and solvable on that front?
I for one didn't like the TS2 tuning in the MS45 DME. Not on this front, but I had problems on high altitude. Above 1500m the dme would frequently (about 10 times a day!) switch to emergency mode (1300rpm constand running, no gas response!) during throttle (not related to position, sometimes full, sometimes half), with the error that there was too much torque produced (you think?.... twinscrew supercharger? ). The MS45 DME has an output torque calculation system and mapping, and something had gone wrong there. ESS suggested that there might be a vacuum leak somewhere (but I checked with propane and there was none), and upgrading to ts2+ (with the dme tuning) solved everything, and obviously nothing is done on the input side of that procedure, so that problem was 100% tuning related.
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-06-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #127
Alun1976

That's very strange you should mention that GuidoK. I have read my errors codes several times now and it has come up with something saying torque something exceeded. I just kind of ignored it as I didn't really know what it was. I'm starting to think that this could well be software related. Where do I stand!

Did ESS offer to look over the tune for you after you notified them of no vacuum leaks? I'm in the process of upgrading to TS3 and I would hope that I get some kind of customer service for any teething problems.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #128
GuidoK

I've talked with ess about the problems, and first of all their advice was to see if the faults would be recurring. I had the ts2 kit just installed when I went on vacation to the alps. Only later when the faults didn't return the dime dropped that it was the altitude that gave the problems. They did offer to adjust some parameters, but I was already planning to upgrade to ts2+ before I would be able to test it on high altitude, so I saw no need to send off the ecu again (and miss it for about 3 weeks).
But with the ts2+ tune the car runs trouble free and no more altitude problems. I don't know if I had a bad ts2 tune, or if they extra adjusted some mappings in the ts2+ tune.
I don't know if they have dealt with these problems before: the ms45 DME as used in the z4 differs from the ms43 (as used in the e46) in that the ms45 has some sort of torque control mapping, but the ms45 is very little used in cars that are tuned (it's used in the z4 and x3), so there is obviously less experience in tuning that DME (some tuners dont have kits for a z4 but do have kits for an e46 with the same engine and I think that is because they have trouble tuning the ms45)

These were the codes I was getting when I had the emergency modes (INPA printout):
http://audio.home.xs4all.nl/zooi/z4/...20Loader_2.pdf
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 AM   #129
pitak

My Ride: 323
m52tu herder hand made in thailand . (feeling very well during 4000 - 6500 rpm)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpxBsLuvPM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	542694   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpWsgbkCPM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	542695   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04266.JPG
Views:	93