E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
jdhecker07

My Ride: 2000 323ci cabrio
Seize or no seize?

I'm about to change my spark plugs on my 323. I'm fairly handy as i've successfully done a couple diy jobs under the hood (valve cover gasket, ignition coils) so i'm not too worried about my mechanical abilities. My only question is whether I should use anti seize compound or not. I've done some reading here on the forums and elsewhere through google and some people say it's absolutely necessary while others say it isn't. What's the deal. Should I or shouldn't I?
jdhecker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/00/30/65

Does not mention anti-seize, personally I never used either so I'd say don't use.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...m.asp?mode=nml
"Trivalent Metal Plating provides superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties"
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Bentley says to lightly lubricate the threads with a copper-based anti seize compound.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhecker07 View Post
I'm about to change my spark plugs on my 323. I'm fairly handy as i've successfully done a couple diy jobs under the hood (valve cover gasket, ignition coils) so i'm not too worried about my mechanical abilities. My only question is whether I should use anti seize compound or not. I've done some reading here on the forums and elsewhere through google and some people say it's absolutely necessary while others say it isn't. What's the deal. Should I or shouldn't I?
Discussion has come up before...search 'anti-seize' and 'plugs' in title search.

I'm 99.99% that for some plugs yes, and others no. On ours? No.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
I learned to change my BMW plugs from a guy that has 4 BMWs and he does all of the work on them. He uses a tiny bit of anti-seize on plugs, lugs, and the rotor set screw.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
I've not done the plugs yet in my car, but have always used anti-seize on other cars. I figure a little bit can't hurt. Why risk a rusted-in spark plug?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Always use a sparse amount of anti seize and a torque wrench on spark plug threads.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonRed View Post
I learned to change my BMW plugs from a guy that has 4 BMWs and he does all of the work on them. He uses a tiny bit of anti-seize on plugs, lugs, and the rotor set screw.
never use anything on lug bolts!

install them clean and dry
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
This is not the first time this discussion has been held here.

I'm very certain you should technically not use it. I also know that some plugs call for it and others don't.

I also know that the torque spec changes considerably between a plug with and a plug without antiseize. You use much less torque if you put on anti-seize.

Never on lugs, ever. And never just because this is how I learned...nothing personal.

Find out for real. You've already got both possible answers here--don't just flip a coin on it. It's a fundamental thing--fact checking and getting things right.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
I was always told that with aluminum heads, you need the stuff. Iron heads don't. Pretty sure ours are aluminum.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Kubelman

My Ride: 1999 323i
seize or not ?

jd--my vote lands in the little dab'l do ya camp--been wrenching air-cooled vw's for years--they run hot--you have not lived until you have struggled with a hard to reach tight plug--suffice to say a tiny amount of anti-seize compound can't hurt and will most assuredly help----
Kubelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
I understood that the NGK Laser Platinum BKR6EQUP plugs came with a Trivalent Metal Plating, providing superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties, making anti-seize unnecessary.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti, compound, plug, seize, spark