E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
MatRacer

My Ride: 325xiT and E30S50
DIY: OE Oil Separator alternative --> E39 M5 OS

Hi everybody!

I have been having problems with my OS for about a year due to cold weather in winter. Here it goes down to -22F a couple of times a year.

My OS was freezing, causing the pressurisation of the crankcase. My valve cover gasket was then letting oil out, directly on the exhaust manifold... Lot of fumes.

After the installation of the Cold climate version of the OS, I tought that it would stop my problem, but it didn't. I also tried a German brand engine cleaner. You put this in your old oil before flushing it, you let run the engine for 30 min, then flush. It is supposed to remove moisture and **** from the oil system. But it was still freezing. I also Tried the trick of "vintagegz" IE removing oil cap when arriving home to let the moisture out. It helped, but with out success, it froze again.

The only way I manage to avoid the the OS to freeze in extreme cold was to drive the car in a way to created the most pressure variation in the intake so the diaphragm of the OS can open and close frequently. THis worked, but was hard on gas mileage...

I finaly decided to swap the OE OS with a E39 M5 OS and to fit it like on a M5. Our Orginal OS is sending the oil vapor (and moisture) directly in the intake. THis is better since the fumes don't go thru the Throttle. However, you must have a diaphragm in the OS to avoid to much vacuum leek. From valve cover to OS. OS to Intake, in between MAF and Throttle. Since the M5 has 8 throttle bodies directly on the heads, its impossible to do so. There is two OS, centrifugal type, that return the fumes in the intake, before the throttle bodies.

Here is the E46 system:

With the item #5 being the vacuum distributor on the folling schematic:

The E39 M5 system:

What I did is:

1- Removed the E46 OS hoses, except the one from the OS to the didstick (item 4) tube since I resused it. I kept the Connector of the hose #2 since I resused it to plug my hose to the valve cover. After trying to disconnect the hose #2 from the OS for about 45-60mins, I cut the hose and decided to leave the OS in there. Keep in mind that cold climate version is thighter

2- I left the vacuum distributor in place and caped both hoses ports. Some people are removing the vacuum distributor and are capping the 6 ports with 3/4 vacuum caps.

3- I used 3/4" oil resistant hose (aeroquip) to plug the valve cover to the OS, part #11151406789, item #2 on E39 Schematic. I resused to original connector for the valve cover. Plugging the 3/4" 250psi on the M5 OS was a pain. The hose was to rigid.

4- I replace part #13541435626 with my vacuum port adapter that I had previously got machined. I used the same 3/4" hose to route the output of the OS to the intake tube.

5- The Drain of the M5 OS, is directly plugged to the Dipstick tube with the original hose.

6- Reassembled the rest.

7 - DONE!

I Did around 1000km with that setup without an issue! I looked at my throttle afte a week of extrem cold, and there was a bit a water. My only concern is about the Throttle that could eventualy freeze. I will modify the routing from the OS to the vacuum adapter so the melting condensate will flow to the OS and then to the oil pan, not to the throttle. My downward section of this hose is a bit long. I will add an elbow.

For the cleaness of the Throttle, I don't think it will be an issue, since the M5 is running like that. A lot of other cars are also running like that. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it.

Here are the pics:

Intake adapter for vaccum pickup (connection of the exhaust of the OS)

Setup of the OS

Final look

I think It would be hard to fit with the original air box since the vacuum adapter is spacing the two intake flex tube a bit, maybee an inch....

Here are two reference threads:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=824791
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...800&highlight=

Mathieu

Last edited by MatRacer; 02-28-2012 at 11:29 AM.
MatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
In for future pic of throttle body after some miles. Looks good though!
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
MatRacer

Update! More details
Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Good post.

Did you use a PCV valve as a check valve between the dip-stick and OS?
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Drewfus2101

And VERY nice adapter for the intake.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
MatRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfus2101 View Post
Good post.

Did you use a PCV valve as a check valve between the dip-stick and OS?
No, I just connected the original hose to the bottom of the M5 OS.

And thanks drewfus! I measured the plastic original part and draw the adapter. I can provide the drawing if required.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
About the cleanliness of the throttle - wouldn't the M5 having ITBs change things?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Drewfus2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
About the cleanliness of the throttle - wouldn't the M5 having ITBs change things?
Change things how? Do you mean that they would just spread around the oil vapors? So individually, they wouldn't be that dirty. But with us only having one, it will be dirtier.

I saw a DIY on the M5 site about changing the OS, and it had a good picture of the intake manifold. It had a good deal of oil vapor in it, but with their ITBs pointing up, the vapor seemed to pool more in the manifold.

So the e46 setup will suck in more vapor, but no more than the stock CCV setup. And I don't see any way that it could harm the TB. If I did this, I'd pull it apart and look at it real well after a few hundred miles though, just to be sure.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
MatRacer

The only thing I see that can harm the TB is the water created be the melt of the rime that is initialy created in the OS pipe in cold weather. This water could freeze the throttle. I experienced extreme cold weather without any issue so far.

Anyway, I want to reduce the downward section of my tube between the OS and the intake tube.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Hi MatRacer

Any updates?

Any problems with the difference in pressure regulation mentioned in other threads?
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Update on how it's holding up
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
fadeaway

Instead of creating a brand new aluminum fitting between intake boots, would it be absolutely absurd to Y-pipe into the vacuum fitting or whatever that thing is on the lower intake boot?

Last edited by fadeaway; 05-10-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Drewfus2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
Instead of creating a brand new aluminum fitting between intake boots, would it be absolutely absurd to Y-pipe into the vacuum fitting or whatever that thing is on the lower intake boot?
Upper or lower? Either way, I think so.

The upper has the 'F' tube, which constantly breaks and is too small for the oil fumes and would clog quickly.

The lower has a 'Y' that connects to the idle air control valve.

Either way, your having to connect rubber-to-rubber. I've done this for my catch can, and it never works well or for long.

The custom adapter is the best way to do this. You ***might*** be able to modify the OEM plastic piece between the upper and lower boots with a plastic adapter piece to make it work like this custom adapter.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
fadeaway

You mean part number 5 here, right? I thought about this as well. I would assume that the vacuum for both the F connector and ICV is such that nothing will get sucked into it. If so, I would think that modifying part number 3 would allow for the most clearance for a new connector. This entire assembly has pretty cheap parts.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...05&hg=13&fg=15
Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
Hansie

My Ride: e46 330i touring 01
Great mod!
I'll copying this adaptor but start using an catch can with filter mesh (got that already), maybe later the M5 part.
Hopefully I filter out most of the oil.

My problem was almost the same : lots and lots of moisure in my CCV because of short drives (below 30km) in cold/wet weather.
Hansie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Bump!

I decided to do exactly this setup on my 325Ci, m54b25.

Just did the yearly inspection and:
Carbon monoxides = 0
Hydrocarbon = 0

If this says anything to you?

Last year with stock CCV i got:
Carbon monoxides = 0,1
Hydrocarbon = 49

Anyhow, so far the system is running great!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
my323coupe

My Ride: 323ci
AW: DIY: OE Oil Separator alternative --> E39 M5 OS

Can you please show a pic of your intake manifold?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
my323coupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Quote:
Originally Posted by my323coupe View Post
Can you please show a pic of your intake manifold?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Sure, but what part? the intake manifold is stock, i only plugged the hoses to the original CCV
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #19
Hansie

Just an update :
I dont collect any oil, water with a few drips of oil.
In 2000km the catch can is almost filled with water !!
All that moisture in the oil will be sludge/mayo and block the stock system.

I made an extra tap in the bottom with a very small hole, water can slowly drip out but not a lot of air can be sucked in to ruin feuling.
Offcourse those drips contain minimal oil and is bad for the envoirement but so is the powersteering fluid and other minimal leaking VCG's etc.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #20
Hansie

After 10k km with a catch can , vented to the plastic ring between the rubber parts in the intake.

Short : nono!
There is simple not enough flow and vacuum at all rpm. Tube from cylinder head got mayood very rapidly and pressure build up.
Bye bye vcg and hello oil leaks.

Now changed to catch can and full vacuum from distribution piece....

That's my story, remember : cold around 5 degrees C and very humid, so lots of condensation in the system.

If that doesn't work, back to oem and give the car to the misses 1x / week. She drives longer distances.
I have to fold myself in the Z3 then...