E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #41
patdown

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Ci
Is the purpose of the return lines and the distribution block just to return the air to the intake for emission control?

Would this M5 OS work just as well if I retained the distribution block and just ran some hose to it instead of using the air filter?

Pos/Neg for either method?

2005 330Ci ZHP 6MT
AA Tune, domestically engineered CAI w/aFe Pro S, UUC TSE3,
Cooling Sys ovhl with Stewart WP, BMW M3 Front Strut Brace,
Koni FSD struts/shocks with original springs,
Cryo-Stop Rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, SS Brake/Clutch lines, CDV Delete,
Mason Engineering clutch pedal, Umnitza Predator Orion AE's, smoked corners and sides,
VMR V710 18" Staggered w/Hankook Ventus V12 235's/FR and 265's/RR
patdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #42
muly

My Ride: 330 sport vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgbe View Post
sorry for not replying. The part # i used was 11151406788. You can use 11151406789 but the oil return hole on it will be pointing away from the dipstick tube if mounted the way i did it, so best to use 11151406788.
Big Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #43
markgbe

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by patdown View Post
Is the purpose of the return lines and the distribution block just to return the air to the intake for emission control?

Would this M5 OS work just as well if I retained the distribution block and just ran some hose to it instead of using the air filter?

Yeah purely for emissions. I was going to do it the way you're thinking until i found this thread. I thought it was nice to get rid of all the extra hoses and stuff.
markgbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #44
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Quote:

The distribution block does return the air to the intake but if you connect the M5 oil seperator (or any catch can) directly to it you will have uncontrolled vacuum on your crankcase which is effectivaly vacuum leak, the function of the diaphragm in the stock CCV is to control this vacuum and when my stock CCV was bust I would get a huge vac leak by removing the oil filler.

On the M5 the seperator goes BEFORE the throttle bodies and hence does not pull vacuum. If you want to route the air from the seperator back to the intake you wil have to create a hole in say the airbox (post filter of course). But remember that the M5 seperator is not 100% effective and you will still draw oil-vapours into the intake. You will be gumming up your whole intake tract, where as with the distribution block you 'only' gum up the intake manifold itself (due to resonance charging etc.)
Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #45
patdown

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Ci
Dan, my CCV does not have a vacuum line going to it, it has a cap. I don't know if our (US) CCV works different than the European one.

2005 330Ci ZHP 6MT
AA Tune, domestically engineered CAI w/aFe Pro S, UUC TSE3,
Cooling Sys ovhl with Stewart WP, BMW M3 Front Strut Brace,
Koni FSD struts/shocks with original springs,
Cryo-Stop Rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, SS Brake/Clutch lines, CDV Delete,
Mason Engineering clutch pedal, Umnitza Predator Orion AE's, smoked corners and sides,
VMR V710 18" Staggered w/Hankook Ventus V12 235's/FR and 265's/RR
patdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #46
Dan330Ci~

Quote:
Dan, my CCV does not have a vacuum line going to it, it has a cap. I don't know if our (US) CCV works different than the European one.
My CCV was the same, where there 'should' be a vacuum line there was a cap. However there is still vacuum going through the CCV, coming from the intake manifold via the distribution block.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #47
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
If any one is interested in doing this, i have a moroso catch can and mount that i would sell for 40 shipped.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1321116269999.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	424978   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1321116279062.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	424979  

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #48
MatRacer

My Ride: 325xiT and E30S50
I updated my oil separator wit hthe clod climate version and its still freeze with cold weather. I'm looking forward to this mod! Waht are the long term effect of running the crankcase with no vacuum? Can it bring some failure?!?

I put 800+$ in clod climate OS (did it myself), oil flushes wit hoil cleaning stuff and +++ and it still freeze. Its time to remove that shitty system. BMW has a tendency do do simple things complicate...
MatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #49
MatRacer

Doing it on a M54 and the E39 M5 OS? It could get the throttle a bit dirty... but how much? Its done in a lot of other cars, including M5. Can it be that bad? It would have to be connected after the MAF, since you dont want to gum it.

You would keep the vacuum in the crankcase and this would not create a vacuum leak in the intake since you are before the throttle body. Also, you would not create any fumes and oil smell.

What do you think?!?

Last edited by MatRacer; 01-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #50
Dan330Ci~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatRacer View Post
I updated my oil separator wit hthe clod climate version and its still freeze with cold weather. I'm looking forward to this mod! Waht are the long term effect of running the crankcase with no vacuum? Can it bring some failure?!?

I put 800+$ in clod climate OS (did it myself), oil flushes wit hoil cleaning stuff and +++ and it still freeze. Its time to remove that shitty system. BMW has a tendency do do simple things complicate...
Sorry to hear about this. I am not aware of any concern with running no crankcase vacuum, excluding what newe46fan said about low tension piston rings.

Quote:
Doing it on a M54 and the E39 M5 OS? It could get the throttle a bit dirty... but how much? Its done in a lot of other cars, including M5. Can it be that bad? It would have to be connected after the MAF, since you dont want to gum it.

You would keep the vacuum in the crankcase and this would not create a vacuum leak in the intake since you are before the throttle body. Also, you would not create any fumes and oil smell.

What do you think?!?
Sure this would work, I think you are going to get some dirtiness in the throttle and intake manifold but probably not much more than what you get with the stock system (and that can be quite a bit). But with your method you are returning the water vapour to the sump as well, which is one of the benefits of venting to atmosphere, because when the water in the oil is heated up sufficiently it can escape freely and either condense in the tank or escape out the filter.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #51
MatRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan330Ci~ View Post

Sure this would work, I think you are going to get some dirtiness in the throttle and intake manifold but probably not much more than what you get with the stock system (and that can be quite a bit). But with your method you are returning the water vapour to the sump as well, which is one of the benefits of venting to atmosphere, because when the water in the oil is heated up sufficiently it can escape freely and either condense in the tank or escape out the filter.
Well I would think that the moisture that is sucked by the intake actually go of the engine with the exhaust fumes... However, I agreed that when its cold outside, the water vapour must condense in the OS (or on its way to it), and return in the sump instead of going to the intake in its vapour form. But without the OE OS, it wont create any failure (like frozen OS causing a pressurisation of the crankcase), except the fact that having water in oil is not a good thing...

to avoid the water to go back to the sump, I could use a "standard racing catch can" and instead of putting a little filter on it, run a pipe to the intake, in between the MAF and the throttle.

What do you think?!?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
Dan330Ci~

Quote:
Well I would think that the moisture that is sucked by the intake actually go of the engine with the exhaust fumes... However, I agreed that when its cold outside, the water vapour must condense in the OS (or on its way to it), and return in the sump instead of going to the intake in its vapour form. But without the OE OS, it wont create any failure (like frozen OS causing a pressurisation of the crankcase), except the fact that having water in oil is not a good thing...

to avoid the water to go back to the sump, I could use a "standard racing catch can" and instead of putting a little filter on it, run a pipe to the intake, in between the MAF and the throttle.

What do you think?!?
Good point, also yes you could just use a catch can in place of the M5 OS, I would just advise to use one that is internally baffled or has some form of media to catch the vapours.

The problem comes when people run that pipe back to the distibution rail on the intake manifold!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #53
MatRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgbe View Post
Thanks.

I capped the bungs off the same way you did, with some 3/4" vacuum caps i found at my local auto parts store, with band clamps.
I'm looking for 3/4'' vacuum cap and no auto parts stores have it in here... Do someone have a North American wed site where I could find this?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #54
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
I'm looking for 3/4'' vacuum cap and no auto parts stores have it in here... Do someone have a North American wed site where I could find this?
Instead of trying to cap the holes for each individual runner with a vacuum cap, I bought some black rubber stoppers and some JB weld, and glued them in there. They stuck out some, so once they dried, I cut them off flush with the top. You would never know that I did anything just by looking. Got the black rubber stoppers at Home Depot or Lowes.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #55
Jason5driver

My Ride: 2001 E39 525i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan330Ci~ View Post
The distribution block does return the air to the intake but if you connect the M5 oil seperator (or any catch can) directly to it you will have uncontrolled vacuum on your crankcase which is essentially a vacuum leak, the function of the diaphragm in the stock CCV is to control this vacuum and when my stock CCV was bust I would get a huge vac leak by removing the oil filler.

On the M5 the seperator goes BEFORE the throttle bodies and hence does not pull vacuum. If you want to route the air from the seperator back to the intake you wil have to create a hole in say the airbox (post filter of course). But remember that the M5 seperator is not 100% effective and you will still draw oil-vapours into the intake. You will be gumming up your whole intake tract, where as with the distribution block you 'only' gum up the intake manifold itself (due to resonance charging etc.)
You need a PCV from the M5 separator to the valve cover to keep blow-by from happening.
The OEM stock CCV is an oil separator and check valve in one.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #56
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
Just wait a few months and you will have oil residue all over your engine bay and an oil caked catch can filter. Also, how does your air conditioning smell?
That is Bullcrap, I have no catch can at all, i've been running withou the ccv system for almost 2 years now, I seldom have an oil smell when i am on a hill and engaging to first, i have no caked oil, the idle is smoother and my intake manifold no longer has an oily residue on it...
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #57
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
So i guess the real question here for us in America is: Will you still pass inspection doing something like this? Catch/Breather can says specifically it is "not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles."

Looks awesome though, I am amazed that you can close your hood flush with it sticking up above the washer fluid reservoir like that!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #58
Andrew99328i

My Ride: 328i 99
!

i love this thread.
proves amounts of OEM stupidity.
Andrew99328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #59
markgbe

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
So i guess the real question here for us in America is: Will you still pass inspection doing something like this? Catch/Breather can says specifically it is "not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles."

Looks awesome though, I am amazed that you can close your hood flush with it sticking up above the washer fluid reservoir like that!
I passed inspection with this in NY state.
markgbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #60
18rabbit

My Ride: '97 328i, '02 325xit
Sorry to bump, but any updates or consensus on the vented catch can?
18rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote