E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Kisorsosay

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Some models can't have tranny fluid changed?

I was speaking with a BMW serviceman earlier today and he had told me that there are several types of transmissions that were used in the xi's (Mine being a 2004 as well).

He said that one type, a common one, is that you're not supose to change it at all, while others can be, all depending on the tag on the bottom of the tank? Can anyone confirm and what do I need to do to determine which one I have?
Kisorsosay is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Everyone in this forum have changed it!..!.. impossible to not change a 100k car ( all e46 have same defect )rear spring brake, cooling system overhaul, O2 sensors, tail light error, (burns it) and eventually suspension overhaul ... because u can tell the driving difference from when u got it ..... meaning... after 100k. i would not trust bmw Lifetime Tranny manual oil. after all.... i changed my 2003 325xi. tranny fluid w purple magic (hehe) feels better... about to do the next Tranny Fluid change after 30k.... Soon.... no problem yet.... feels great...!

any suggestion for my Next Tranny Oil change? ( Better then Purple magic ) ? ... and speaking of tranny... i have not done my DIFFS front-rear ones.... ( any advice on a good Diffs fluid )? redline ?... ? ...
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
To answer the OP, I am unaware of any xi auto tranny that does not allow fluid change. BMW makes it hard to do but it still can be done. BTW, i am not aware of any auto tranny in 04 for the xi other than a GM.
shadow 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisorsosay View Post
I was speaking with a BMW serviceman earlier today and he had told me that there are several types of transmissions that were used in the xi's (Mine being a 2004 as well).

He said that one type, a common one, is that you're not supose to change it at all, while others can be, all depending on the tag on the bottom of the tank? Can anyone confirm and what do I need to do to determine which one I have?
only the super ghey ones...
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
Fred The Puppy

My Ride: 330XI
2004 325XI auto is GM A5S390R. Supposedly 'Lifetime' fluid is Texaco ETL (Extended Transmission Life) 8072B, which is no longer available. Castrol All-Import ATF is compatible with all E46 transmissions; that's what I use.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...s_ImportMV.pdf (scroll to page 2)

Some have had good luck with Redline D4, and even some have said Dexron VI is fine.
Fred The Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
benzedid

My Ride: 2001 BMW E46 318i
Send a message via Skype™ to benzedid
The word "Lifetime" for tranny fluid doesn't necessarily mean lifetime warranty. according the the BMW mechanics, its only the trademark that is lifetime nah seriously... thats wat they told me when i first made that face when i heard it was "lifetime". one tip: for my E36 one garage told me that the tranny fluid for BMW and Audi cannot be changed. yet, another BMW garage changed it right in front of me. don't believe just anybody.

benzedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
A3ferthee

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Amsoil ATF good to use also.
A3ferthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Texas325xi

My Ride: 08 328i Sport Pac
They tell you that because if everyone would diy then they would have no one to sc@w!! lol.
Texas325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
"lifetime" does not mean how long you have the vehicle. it is the "lifetime" of the transmission, which could be 100k or longer depending on what the company considered the life expectancy of the transmission to be.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
rafar

My Ride: e46 330xi; x5 3.0i
I've got a 2001 330xi manual and just did the tranny, transfer case, front and rear diff all with redline fluids. I researched all these forums a lot, found the sticker on the tranny (mine's yellow stating it requires MTF - 1) and finally settled on Redline D4 ATF for the tranny and x-fer case with 75-90 gear oil for the diff's after all the reading. I suppose that at the end of the day, as long as you are doing regular interval changes and using fluids with more or less the same spec, it doesn't matter which ones you use (Redline, Royal Purple, Pentosin, etc...). Oil that came out of the tranny was "ok", but the transfer case was disgusting. I have 120K on the car and it must have never been changed. I have noticed a significant improvement in noise, and smoothness of the entire driveline. I had bought my car with high-miles and didn't know how well the owner really took care of the car. So far, so good. Now if I can just sort out that XI thud (no subframe issues - going to try flushing the brake/clutch fluid next), i'll have the ultimate driving machine.
rafar is offline   Reply With Quote