E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Bzzzzzzzz, plink!

Just got myself a new plinker. Wanted something more along the lines of a service pistol rather than a target pistol such as a ruger MKIII. My choices were the Walther P22 (wayyyy too many FROM FACTORY design flaws, so scratch it off the list,) the Berretta Neos, (basically a target pistol disguised in a service body) and the Sig Mosquito. After tinkering around, I chose the mosquito. I loved the smoothness of the pistol's operation, and although I know it is not a Sig Sauer (rather Sig arms, one of their other divisions), I think it will make a great pistol. The grip and size is VERY similar to my Glock 19. Will be going to the range this weekend hopefully and torture it with 1000+ rounds of CCI minimags.

I already know what should be modified on this thing for dropping FTL and FTE's, but want to see how good it is from factory out of box. Will report back.

P.S. Reedo, I remember you saying something about ______ being "astroglide" for guns....what was it?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 08-02-2011 at 07:25 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Slip2000?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
NFRs2000nyc

Yup, that's it! Thanks a lot! I remember the EWL part of it, so I'll order some. I have heard many people just use a good quality (Mobil1) 10w30 for their guns with great success, but me thinks a bottle of this stuff will probably last me the best part of a decade, so I think I'll "splurge."
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I put on some EWL on my 226 when i bought it and whenever I clean it, only had it about a month but its never had a hiccup yet(knocking on wood). Tried a few different types of ammo and its eaten everything flawlessly. I'm thinking about picking up a Mosquito soon(for my GF to shoot) in pink . Let me know how you like it, looking forward to the range report! Congrats on the gun!
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I put on some EWL on my 226 when i bought it and whenever I clean it, only had it about a month but its never had a hiccup yet(knocking on wood). Tried a few different types of ammo and its eaten everything flawlessly. I'm thinking about picking up a Mosquito soon(for my GF to shoot) in pink . Let me know how you like it, looking forward to the range report! Congrats on the gun!
The wife will get plenty of range time with this thing.....I think I'm going to let her shoot 500 out of the 1000, but I strongly advise you against the pink. It is a fun gun to shoot, and I wouldn't be caught dead shooting a pink mosquito at the range.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Hmm, I've actually heard those are a PITA as far as reliabilty. However I feel your need for a target pistol that doesn't look like one so good luck.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
NFRs2000nyc

After exhaustive research and taking the gun apart, I have found the most common causes of all the issues (minor on this gun, major AND numerous on a P22) and will fix them when I get back from the range.....if I have any problems that is.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Yup, that's it! Thanks a lot! I remember the EWL part of it, so I'll order some. I have heard many people just use a good quality (Mobil1) 10w30 for their guns with great success, but me thinks a bottle of this stuff will probably last me the best part of a decade, so I think I'll "splurge."
No problem. There are two variations; Slip 2000 and Slip 2000 EWL. The EWL was formulated for rifles and carbines that take a lot of abuse. However, I don't know/think that there would be any negative impact using it on a pistol. I will defer to more experienced users for that.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You can use both for your pistol, but the standard Slip2000 lubricant will be slightly thinner and a little more appropriate for a .22LR.
A good thing with the motor oil is to always remember that it has to be fully synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
No problem. There are two variations; Slip 2000 and Slip 2000 EWL. The EWL was formulated for rifles and carbines that take a lot of abuse. However, I don't know/think that there would be any negative impact using it on a pistol. I will defer to more experienced users for that.
EWL is for high heat carbines and machineguns. It is slightly thicker/more dense than standard Slip2000 lubricant. For pistols, I would recommend standard Slip2000, but you can't go wrong either way. I use the Slip2000 EWL because that's all that I buy. I have no need to get a separate pistol lube. Some guns like Sigs, 1911s and other metal frame pistols require more lubricant than one would expect, particularly in relation to the polymer guns like the Glock and M&P, which require very little lubrication.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote