E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
330i Magnaflow cat-back #16533 Install Notes

I just received my magnaflow cat-back exhaust part number 16533 last week and here are my notes. There is a long thread in the group buy forum on this system, but I think a thread belongs here in the Engine and Tuning forum. This is also an attempt to consolidate an entire thread worth of useful information into a quick and dirty post for easy reference.

WHERE TO BUY

At the time of this post, the very best deal on the internet is from Performance Peddler, based in Michigan, but they drop ship from California.

Cost: $556.66 drop shipped.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG16533
Use coupon code "audipipes"

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

* At $556 shipped, this system is a steal, a grand slam of value. Mandrel bent, stainless steel, etc for the price of some mufflers alone.

* Overall quality is very very good on this system, I'm very impressed. The welds are flawless and it bolts up to my headers better than the OEM system

* Fitment is about as good as I could probably expect. There really is NOT a lot of room down there. Like others I've had to make a few adjustments. I am actually impressed they were able to make a system work with larger piping at all.

INSTALL NOTES

Total install time: 3hrs, including a trip to the local hardware store

* The clamps included with the kit seem like good quality and the instructions call for 65 ft-lbs. I would STRONGLY recommend only torquing to 50 ft-lbs, after my experience and some research I did on the Accu-Seal clamps themselves. Trying to torque to 65 ft-lbs caused one of the clamps to de-thread, and I had to take it to a shop to have it removed and replaced with a free clamp sent from Magnaflow (good customer service!). I did get some rasp while I waited for a good clamp to arrive due to what must have been a slight leak even though the clamp was torqued to probably 35 ft-lbs before it broke. I also learned you want to install the clamps as close to the end of the overlapping pipe as possible, this will help it seal better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio330 View Post
Anyone with six speeds having issues with fitment? The tranny support brace seems to be in the way of getting the pipes to line up with the headers.
* Yes I had this issue. The bracket off the transmission that holds on to the two exhaust pipes just a few inches behind the headers will not work with the magnaflow exhaust without bending the brackets a bit to accommodate the larger piping. It is very important to re-install this brace as it helps with clearance below the rear transmission mount. Also, it will keep the exhaust noise in the cabin down near stock levels and prevents drone. Bend this brace and get it installed, its important IMO.

* Like others I had to modify the isolators that connect to the tabs at about the half-way point, right in front of the x-pipe. Just a quick shave and they sit real nice. I also added a washer between the tabs and the isolators to help give a slight bit more of clearance between the bottom of the pipes and the crossbrace itself. More info with pics here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=289

* I struggled slightly with connecting the x-pipe section to the forward section. The x-pipe section's pipes where about 1/4" too close together to slide on to the forward section flawlessly, so I had to use a hammer to beat the flanges out a bit and muscle it on there. Nothing an exhaust shop would flinch about I'm sure they deal with that all the time.

* My car required about 3/8" to 1/2" worth of spacers/washers between the second crossbrace (the one with the rubber isolators that connects to the exhaust) and the car to prevent a loud rattling/vibration. Without these spacers the exhaust piping just in front of the forward resonator/muffler rests against the transmission mount/support and makes the entire car vibrate like a mofo. I did use longer bolts too, they were M8 1.25 pitch if I remember right, about 1/2" longer than stock.

* Straight out of the box the tips will mount up flush with the rear ZHP valence. I prefer them sticking out about a 1/2" or so just like stock. After all, these tips are so damn sexy who would want to hide them?! So I simply shifted the rubber hangers for the muffler as far back as possible and slid the piping in front of the muffler back slightly, then tightened down the clamps. Looks great! Although the rear section does seem to hang a little lower now... I may have to have a shop adjust the bend on that section to get it perfect (I admit I'm getting very picky now)

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS

Sex. The sound is amazing, absolutely amazing. It growls with small quick blips of throttle and howls when you let the beast out, in the best way imaginable. Barely a tiny hint of rasp in the higher RPM range, and only under heavier throttle. I don't think I could be happier with the sound, its a great fit for a performance BMW in my opinion.

It is louder than my ZHP exhaust with the headers, but not bad. Its OEM quiet at cruising and idle, and the beast awakens at WOT. There is maybe slight drone down low but no more than I had with my OEM exhaust with headers, and it goes away above 2k RPM or so (why are you driving below 2000RPM anyway?). On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being a bone stock exhaust and 10 being straight pipes I'd put this system at probably a 5 or 6. My ZHP exhaust with headers was probably a 3.

I can't comment much on the power just because I don't believe in butt-dyno's. I will say that based on other dyno's and that Magnaflow spent a lot of time making sure this system performs I would expect I picked up a pony or two. I'm certain I did not lose power. Car feels good and is a lot of fun to drive, which is what I think really matters anyway

Another testimonial that mirrors my impressions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromTucson View Post
First of all, I have never been someone who wanted to modify my car to make it sound louder. I secretly laugh at people who are obsessed with cosmetic or sound mods (sorry guys, but I do :-) ). I'm all about horesepower and weight savings. With that disclaimer out of the way, this exhaust really does sound nice. From outside of the car, it's slightly deeper than my stock ZHP exhaust at idle. From inside the car I don't really notice much difference at idle. While cruising at freeway speeds, it also sounds just like my ZHP exhaust (a good thing) with no droning. At WOT the exhaust sounds more aggressive, like an M3, but not annoying at all. The sound actually builds pretty nicely as the RPMs increase. WOT at 2000 RPM doesn't sound that much different than stock, but by the time you hit 6000 RPM it sounds "extra assertive". I found it to be very easy to modulate the sound with the throttle. Which isn't always the case with an aftermarket exhaust.
Vids by AggieE46 can be found here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=712455

Link to original group buy thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=702437

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 08-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Very good write-up.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
ok my exhaust has a loud howling at wot that i cant get rid of.. did you have this issue? also can you please post pics of where you placed the washer? mine is rattling like amofo because at the moment i dont have the second brace on. thanks you so much.
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
rkneeshaw

Howling? The exhaust does have a cool bit of a howl tone to it, I love it, sounds wicked

I placed the washer between the rubber isolator and the mounting tabs on the side of the exhaust. Not sure if it helped much of any at all.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Steven747

no the howling is preety bad and at wot its really the only thing you can hear.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
rkneeshaw

Do you have a vid or sound clip?

Here's another good one:

Does it sound like that? It should.

If yours doesnt then maybe you have a leak.

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 08-03-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Do you have a vid or sound clip?

Here's another good one:

Does it sound like that? It should.

If yours doesnt then maybe you have a leak.
RBI mine is a howl like bigjaes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Not sure why people are using washers on the exhaust braces. I just used a hammer and straightened the brace for more clearance.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
Not sure why people are using washers on the exhaust braces. I just used a hammer and straightened the brace for more clearance.
Different way to skin the cat...I used washers to get clearance and get rid of the vibration.

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
phamine

My car on the track at 17:30. This is how it sounds...loud. Don't watch it it till 19:25 :X

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Steven747

Quote:
what do you mean by straightened the brace? pics please and how does the get it away from the heat shield?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
rkneeshaw

Quote:
My car on the track at 17:30. This is how it sounds...loud. Don't watch it it till 19:25 :X

Sounds good! It's almost a bi-polar system, quiet at cruising but when you open it up it screams

Old 08-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
phamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
what do you mean by straightened the brace? pics please and how does the get it away from the heat shield?
I don't have pics. When you take out the brace, you'll see that the brace bends upward from the middle. Just use a hammer to fend it down.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Steven747

Quote:
I don't have pics. When you take out the brace, you'll see that the brace bends upward from the middle. Just use a hammer to fend it down.
and thats the second rear brace correct? i dont think it bends at all but ill take another look when its on a lift today
Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #15
Steven747

got the rattle to stop now its time for the screech .. i am going to call magnaflow and ask if i can bring my car by if they have a lift and see if they can fix it themselves or just locate it becuase they are only about 15 minuete drive
Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
rkneeshaw

That's pretty lucky! Take a drive over there by all means. I can't imagine what kind of sound you're hearing.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
Steven747

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...magnaflow+howl

same sound
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post

Ya, it's NOT suppose to sound like that. If that's the way your Bimmer sounds, definitely get it fixed.

That would drive me insane.

Good luck.

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Double post. Ops

Quote:
Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Ya, it's NOT suppose to sound like that. If that's the way your Bimmer sounds, definitely get it fixed.

That would drive me insane.

Good luck.

yeah i would prob sell it if magnaflow themselves cant fix it