E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #21
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Maybe its just me...screeching sound aside...I think this exhaust is pretty loud with headers. But don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #22
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Maybe its just me...screeching sound aside...I think this exhaust is pretty loud with headers. But don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome.
yeah i just would rather a magnaflow growl and not the screetch. on mine its more of a sucking then screetch which dosent sound that sporty at all. i emailed magnaflow yesterday so they prob wont respond tell monday. if i dont have my magnaflow warranty card how can i get issued a new 1 just in case they want to see
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #23
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Indoor vid

Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
Indoor vid

what did you dyno without the headers?
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Awesome track video!
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #26
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I have some updated pictures for everyone.

My clamps didnt seem to be sitting well, and it was bugging me, so I took the magnaflow back off so I could take it to a local welder. While it was off the car I put my stock ZHP exhaust (with xpipe in place of the resonator) back on. Side by side:

Here are the welds, I think he did a great job

Now for pics of the middle support brace that everyone asks about. Here is the stock exhaust still mounted on the brace

Here are the rubber mounts after modification. They are reinforced with metal, so use a grinder. Also notice the washers I used to just give a slight bit more height. They are not really necessary. Its much more important to put washers/spacers between this brace and the vehicle, I had to use about 3/8" worth.

Here is the magnaflow attached to the brace, ready to be installed

Lastly a picture of the all important bracket that connects to the transmission. Re-installing this will greatly reduce the in-cabin noise of the exhaust

After going back to stock for 2 days, I really missed the sound of this exhaust system. Even with the headers it sounds great.

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 08-16-2011 at 08:40 PM.
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #27
Bmw_fever

My Ride: 01' 325i ZSP ZCW
cool pics, just wondering is this exhaust available for the 2.5 liter engine on the 2001 325i ?
Bmw_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #28
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_fever View Post
cool pics, just wondering is this exhaust available for the 2.5 liter engine on the 2001 325i ?

The Magnaflow #16533 is a perfect fit for your 2001 325i.

You'll really like it, Promise.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #29
Bmw_fever

Quote:
The Magnaflow #16533 is a perfect fit for your 2001 325i.

You'll really like it, Promise.

Good luck.
Allright great I think I'm going to go for it!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #30
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Same catback as mine, except I'm missing the front part that replaces our first muffler. Those C-clamps aren't great. I have an exhaust leak coming from the front section. Also, they sent me four 2 inch clamps by mistake, when two of them are supposed to be 2.25 (or 2.5 I don't remember). Surprisingly the crappy ones I got at hardware store are holding up better.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #31
Bmw_fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Same catback as mine, except I'm missing the front part that replaces our first muffler. Those C-clamps aren't great. I have an exhaust leak coming from the front section. Also, they sent me four 2 inch clamps by mistake, when two of them are supposed to be 2.25 (or 2.5 I don't remember). Surprisingly the crappy ones I got at hardware store are holding up better.
You have a 325 right?
How do you like the exhaust so far?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #32
chanlon7

My Ride: 03' BMW 330xi
just ordered a magnaflow catback from performancepeddler super stoked on the price man thanks for your help with the wholesale login. I'll be installing it with bimmerbrake headers in a week or two. Im sure It will require some modification... but I can hardly wait to have this cost effective, BA sounding exhaust on my Xi. It will be paired with a GruppeM Cold Ram Air Intake, talk about air flow

what do you guys think about installing it from the first resonator back?...

Last edited by chanlon7; 08-31-2011 at 04:05 PM.
chanlon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #33
rkneeshaw

I have a hunch that the forward resonator/muffler in the magnaflow cat-back gives it most of its growl tone.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #34
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post

Lastly a picture of the all important bracket that connects to the transmission. Re-installing this will greatly reduce the in-cabin noise of the exhaust

Are you sure the brace would reduce the cabin noise? The exhaust does not look like it move once mounted. i would think it would introduce more noise since it would be moving with the transmission.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #35
rkneeshaw

In my experience the brace proved important. I first installed the cat-back without that brace and the in-cabin drone was pretty bad (enough that I was thinking how much $$ i could get back out of selling the exhaust!), and it would occasionally vibrate against my transmission mount. I believed I needed to re-install the brace to eliminate the occasional vibration, but thought the drone was just the nature of the beast. It turns out that installing the brace was enough to generate about 1/8" clearance between the exhaust and the transmission mount, eliminating the occasional vibration, and also unexpectedly greatly reduced the drone in the cabin.

And believe it or not, the brace really does keep the exhaust from moving around. It feels flimsy when its off the car, but once installed it locked those pipes in place real good.

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 09-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #36
bcook_84

My Ride: 2005 325i
I'm considering this for my 325i, along with the Rogue Engineering IKON and the BMW Performance exhausts. Bang-for-the-buck wise, you get more for you money it seems with the Magnaflow system, but I am worried it might be too loud and/or ricey. I have listened to many different clips of different exhaust setups on youtube, and it doesn't seem like they fully capture the sound accurately. I don't have any plans to add headers, I am doing this mostly for sound...although I'm sure the Magnaflow flows better than the RE and BMW Performance simply because it replaces more than just the muffler. I'm really torn on which system to get, mainly because I'm worried I will get the Magnaflow and find that it is too loud or sounds too ricey and then I will be stuck with it. Or perhaps I am just over-analyzing this, lol.
bcook_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #37
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
Are you sure the brace would reduce the cabin noise? The exhaust does not look like it move once mounted. i would think it would introduce more noise since it would be moving with the transmission.
You should use the brace since it keeps the exhaust connected to the drivetrain. Otherwise, you'd be putting stress on your headers and the exhaust header flange. When you shift, accelerate or brake, the drivetrain shifts slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook_84 View Post
I'm really torn on which system to get, mainly because I'm worried I will get the Magnaflow and find that it is too loud or sounds too ricey and then I will be stuck with it. Or perhaps I am just over-analyzing this, lol.
The magnaflow is the total opposite of rice. If anything, its a little too deep. I've only gotten positive comments from other auto enthusiasts.

For me, its a little loud though. Not too bad but it definitely affects the sound of my high end audio system.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 09-09-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #38
bcook_84

My Ride: 2005 325i
bigjae, thanks for the reply. I noticed you have headers with your setup, so for me it would not be near as loud since I'm not pairing it with headers (I'm assuming).
bcook_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #39
bigjae1976

correct. I think my s/c also adds some volume.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #40
hokiebimmer

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I have some updated pictures for everyone.

My clamps didnt seem to be sitting well, and it was bugging me, so I took the magnaflow back off so I could take it to a local welder. While it was off the car I put my stock ZHP exhaust (with xpipe in place of the resonator) back on. Side by side:

How did the x-pipe affect the zhp exhaust tone?
hokiebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote