E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
bpray9223

My Ride: Volvo S60, BMW 325xi
325Xi Randomly Puffing Grey/Black Smoke

My father's car just recently developed an issue, in which has become more noticeable on his commute from work this afternoon.

He claims that when driving at a constant highway speed, constant throttle, every so often he will notice a puff of grey/blackish smoke behind him coming from the car. There have also been a couple instances where upon cold startup, the car will give off the same smoke for a second.

Any ideas on what this issue could be?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
smoke means.... OIL GETTING INSIDE OF YOUR INTAKE! i was told.. do not drive the car at that point....
Gus330vrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
mikhit

My Ride: 2003 325xi
What color is the smoke? Blueish or gray smoke indicates that oil is burning, white smoke indicates coolant and black smoke is fuel. It can be any number of things from there, but the color will help point you in the right direction...
mikhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
scottie46

My Ride: 2001 330i
i just took a smog class and we tested things like this. it could be ur smog or a rusted pipe, muffler or bad cat.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
bpray9223

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just went out in the garage and started the car (engine warm) and noticed a thin stream of grayish colored smoke coming from the exhaust but stopped after about 2 seconds. I gave the throttle a couple blips to about 3K RPM and let off and the smoke reappeared in the same fashion, but only when the engine was revving down. On a side note, this has only been noticeable in the past 2K miles or so.

Another few things to mention, the car has 92K on it and has been 12K miles since the last oil change. We checked the oil and it seems to be a little on the low side, so the oil will be changed in the next day or two. Could this be another possible cause to my issue? I'm not too familiar with these cars and I wasn't sure if the oil being low or old could cause this?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Fred The Puppy

My Ride: 330XI
The gray smoke is very likely oil. IF that is the case, no need to panic unless it begins to run poorly, begins to burn a quart in 3k miles or somethin' silly like that. However low the oil is, that's how much the engine has burned/leaked since the last time you filled it. 92k seems WAY early, but it's possible that engine oil is simply getting past either the piston rings or the valve guides. Just keep an eye on the oil level, and down the road, you can do a cost/benefit analysis of having engine work done. At $6/quart for synthetic oil, it'd have to be smokin' like a chimney before I'd worry about it. Dunno your dad's annual mileage, but if it's burning a quart every 10k miles, that adds up to $10-$20/year for most drivers.

I had a Chevy pickup truck that smoked for the entire 9 years that I drove it. Ran fine.

Keep an eye on coolant level, also. Sometimes white smoke can appear grayish. If the coolant level is dropping, you have a whole other situation.

Last edited by Fred The Puppy; 08-03-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Fred The Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
bpray9223

Oil was changed with full synthetic on Thursday and the smoking has not been noticed yet.

My indy checked it out prior to the oil change and suggested it may be the oil separator that needs to be replaced. Does this sound like a probable cause?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpray9223 View Post
Oil was changed with full synthetic on Thursday and the smoking has not been noticed yet.

My indy checked it out prior to the oil change and suggested it may be the oil separator that needs to be replaced. Does this sound like a probable cause?

E46 Models have that common Talk around 80k + oil separator <- included... so Google a way to test oil separator.. "its bad?... change it ...
Gus330vrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Fred the Pup has it above. Blow-by is most noticeable when the engine transitions from higher RPM's to idle on throttle cut. Snap the gas off and they puff a colored cloud out. Normally there's a smell you'll pick up when testing behind the car. The exhaust pipe tip may have oil wet residue as well. This can be limped along as he said but the mileage indeed seems too low for bad rings. Changing to synth is not magic and likely the puffing will come back. The Indy is also correct about the CCV. The mileage points to it as suspect and can be verified without replacing. They fail and can pull oil vapors into the intake - then the oil is combusted with the mixture. A hose can be removed and inspected for oil. Typical symptoms of a failing CCV include; excessive oil loss (burning), continuous and intermittent exhaust clouds, honking sounds and oil burning odors. If it continues after the CCV is ruled out, a compression test is in order.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 08-06-2011 at 12:26 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote