E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Stick with your E46

I don't know how many of you are BMWCCA members, but from reading the letters and editor's reponses in the last several issues of their Roundel mag, they are making it clear (at least to me) that:

It is a major mistake to buy BMW turbo car (335 included) unless you plan on getting rid of it before warrantee expires.

The auto transmissions are worse than ever - not so much for breakdowns but for lags and flat driving to the point of not feeling safe when you need to accelerate from 20-30 mph to avoid a problem. The Roundel editors flat out said that it will be impossible to re-sell these cars and that resale value is the lowest ever - because this problem is so obvious.
Blame it on BMW's programming to meet pollution and mileage requirements, they say.

Dealers are not stocking manuals, they will need to be special ordered, if you don't have 2 months to wait you are out of luck.

Steering is dull with little feedback

Remember that the above is based on the mag from the BMWCCA - you can't find a bigger BMW advocate.

I'm glad my BMW has only 45,000 miles on it and has treated me so well over the last 10 1/2 years. Still looks and runs like new (better, the Shark eliminated the throttle lag it had from the factory). I plan on keeping it forever.

Why cant BMW get it right anymore? Goodby driving experience.

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Sold my E46.

I was at 130k miles and it was failing everywhere.

Bought an actual car that was only offered in a 6spd, and a hell of alot more fun to drive
Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
mhs328Ci

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
My father and I are both BMWCCA. Due to those reasons, but mostly the TURBOS, dad recently went to the dark side...AUDI S4. I still have my e46 though
mhs328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
kannabis

My Ride: '02 325I,04 325CIc
I can attest to this! My friend has a 2009 550i and her car no longer picks up speed when you hit the accelerator, it lags. The car is creeping to the 50k mile mark so it will be out of warranty soon but she has been getting the run around from the dealer. Her car has been in the shop for diagnostic for the same problem multiple times in the last 6 months and all BMW has to say is "...that's how the car is supposed to run..." The weird thing is, it was never like that when she first got it. This may be something that affects other models as opposed to only the new 3 series...Interesting. Can you provide a link to this article?
kannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
kannabis

BTW... I drove the car about 2wks ago and I tried to cut infront of a truck on I4, I jammed the pedal and the car reved but nothing happened. Imagine if I was trying to do an evasive move. They really need to sort out this problem or I may have to move to another brand when it comes time to buy.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
jcns

My Ride: California
when BMW had the twin turbos in the 335 it made sense, one small and one bigger.
Now that they have gone to a single bigger one, expect bigger lag. I often hear about turbo cars with no noticeable turbo lag, but there is always a lag in turbo engines even VW and Audi with their hair dryer sized turbos.
Combine turbo lag, autobox, all the computer wizardry to keep 4 wheels on the ground and you ultimately have a recipe for a less than ideal driving experience.
My opinion is that if you insist on getting a turbo car get a manual so that you can control revs/boost yourself. Turbo cars, when off boost, is a joke.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
My next car will either be an e46 M3 or a non-bmw.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Wake2blake

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP imola
does this apply to a 2011 335d?

2004 330i ZHP
Imola Red
Wake2blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
It's not just BMW problem. All cars are getting too big, to heavy and too complex. Most people (and governments) want this. I expect more small independent car makers popping up in the future to fill the gap in the market - small, simple, sporty cars that are fun to drive.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
OneOfaKindTrini

My Ride: 540i w/ 3 Pedals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
My next car will either be an e46 M3 or a non-bmw.
I second this. I definately want a E46 M3.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake2blake View Post
does this apply to a 2011 335d?
The lag is there in turbo diesels too. The good thing is that you don't have to downshift with all that torque. Bad thing is that the automatic transmission will probably downshift anyway

My car for next 10 years will be e46 wagon with M54B30 and twinscrew supercharger
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Lionelski

From what Iread, it is NOT the turbo lag that is the problem.

The problem is that these turbos are "expected" to last 50,000 miles. By then they are out of warranty. $10,000 cost to whomever owns the car at that time, be it the original owner, or used car buyer.

If buying a used one, make sure CPO warranty

Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
$10k to replace the turbo?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
mexsir

My Ride: E46 320 M sport
I hate bmw transmissions they are so cheaply and stupidly made, i wonder how they are soo good at some things and suck big time at very important ones, such as auto transmissions.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
kannabis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
when BMW had the twin turbos in the 335 it made sense, one small and one bigger.
Now that they have gone to a single bigger one, expect bigger lag. I often hear about turbo cars with no noticeable turbo lag, but there is always a lag in turbo engines even VW and Audi with their hair dryer sized turbos.
Combine turbo lag, autobox, all the computer wizardry to keep 4 wheels on the ground and you ultimately have a recipe for a less than ideal driving experience.
My opinion is that if you insist on getting a turbo car get a manual so that you can control revs/boost yourself. Turbo cars, when off boost, is a joke.
I'm not sure what kind of logic you're trying to put together here. It's pretty incoherent. My friends car never had this problem when it was new. I know because I drove it and have ridden in it multiple times. This is a problem that has gradually developed. Apparently this is a known issue, but either the techs at this dealership have no knowledge of this problem, I doubt, or they are giving her the run around until it's out of warranty.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
This was never the case (ie, the turbos were never sequential). BMW used (and still uses in some cases) 2 identically sized turbos, one for bank 1 and one for bank 2.

Also, the newer single turbo engines use a twin scroll compressor.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Lionelski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
$10k to replace the turbo?
Call your BMW dealer - ask them what it would cost, with labor and diagnostics, to replace the twin turbos in a new 335.

$10,000 was the number quoted in the article I read. Does not sound out of line - What does an aftermarket supercharger cost installed by a non-BMW dealer? $6,000?

I know they are totally different but we are talking BMW part and labor prices. I'm sure the replacement will be a special order.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
This is why the value of my E46 has gone UP in the last 8 months by almost a grand
Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini View Post
I second this. I definately want a E46 M3.
Was talking with friends about what we could get for our next car. I had to admit if I NEEDED to get a new car it would be a low mileage used E46.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
I hooked the g/f up with a low-mileage 2006 e90 330i. Normally aspirated 255 HP six, and I couldn't be happier. The car is a champ (except for the noisy, harsh-riding runflats).

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote