E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexsir View Post
I hate bmw transmissions they are so cheaply and stupidly made, i wonder how they are soo good at some things and suck big time at very important ones, such as auto transmissions.
Did you disassemble them to say this? Did you disassemble other transmissions to compare bmw's ones with?
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
me-love my low-mileage, 41k, E46 325ci cabrio. me-no-like over-priced new-car problems w/ turbos. me-gonna buy me another low-miler E46 when mine climbs to 100k. low-mileage E46's...RULE.

me-like posting me-posts....
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
OneOfaKindTrini

My Ride: 540i w/ 3 Pedals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Was talking with friends about what we could get for our next car. I had to admit if I NEEDED to get a new car it would be a low mileage used E46.
The E46 is just epic.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
when BMW had the twin turbos in the 335 it made sense, one small and one bigger.
By definition, wouldn't "twin" turbos be the same size? Like someone else said, the N54 has a turbo on the first 3 cylinders and an identical turbo on the other 3. Sequential turbo is when you have one small and one large.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
I think you guys are way overreacting.

First of all , all AUTO tranny have lag. Second of all look at E46s resale value. A car that cost 45grand new can be had for under 8k 6 years later. Fiction? no, its a fact.

New cars are better in every single way. Yes they are much more expensive to fix, BUT they are better. E9X is one of them, if only you had seen the way the suspension is set up on a E9X you would understand what Im talking about and think that E46 chassis was designed by a drunk retard.

People always say they'll keep driving their old cars forever and dont like new cars or new cars are crap, its only because they cant afford a newer car. I cant afford one either and thats why Im still here

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #26
raptordavedave

My Ride: 02 BMW 330Ci
Do you happen to have a link for the article? It would be an interesting read.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #27
Essing

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
when BMW had the twin turbos in the 335 it made sense, one small and one bigger.
Now that they have gone to a single bigger one, expect bigger lag. I often hear about turbo cars with no noticeable turbo lag, but there is always a lag in turbo engines even VW and Audi with their hair dryer sized turbos.
Combine turbo lag, autobox, all the computer wizardry to keep 4 wheels on the ground and you ultimately have a recipe for a less than ideal driving experience.
My opinion is that if you insist on getting a turbo car get a manual so that you can control revs/boost yourself. Turbo cars, when off boost, is a joke.
"one big one small" is not twin turbo, that's bi-turbo. Twin turbo and twin scroll are both the same size turbos. The 335i never had bi-turbo. I don't think it's correct to say that the twin scroll is a single turbo. My understanding is that the twin-scroll is 2 turbos sharing a common shaft, thus no issues with one side spinning up faster than the other. 335d has a bi-turbo setup.

My 335i (manual) had the software detune, but it got fixed. Negligible lag, bat out of hell fast and at 5,000 ft above sea level back then, faster than most cars on the road, could pass anything over the passes.
2007 335i 6 spd
1985 635 Euro csi 5 spd
1986 535i 5 spd
1984 320i Baur 5 spd
1981 323i Euro 5 spd
Essing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
Gator325

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
This is why when I moved up to the E92, I went for a naturally aspirated 328i and not the twin-turbo. I've never liked turbo-powered engines. Turbo engines are inherently prone to pre-mature failure, it's the nature of the technology. I challenge anyone to find a turbo running around with a quarter-million miles on it that hasn't had half the engine replaced.

Furthermore, cars don't need 8 or 10 speeds. They're not bicycles. An automatic only needs 5 speeds at most and a manual 6.

One of the reasons why I think the E46 is the sweet spot of BMWs is that it combines just the right amount of old and new technologies. Sadly the E92, and proceeding models, are drifting in the wrong direction.

The fact of the matter is that governments are destroying the automobile with all of these BS efficiency and emissions standards.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #29
vadim

My Ride: 08 E92 335i, 05 325i
Quote:
This is incorrect. The turbochargers on the N54 engine are of the same size, running in parallel.

Coincidentally, my E92 335i has by far been the most reliable car I ever owned.

'05 E46 325i MT / Silver Gray / Black Leatherette / Titan II
+ H&R Sport / Koni STR.T / OEM SSK / ZHP shifter knob / BPS alum. pedals / TMS 15mm spacers / Euro split-view mirrors / Manual rear sunshade / TRS Morimoto H1 Bi-Xenon / Amber LED halos / DICE iPod inerface / Parrot BlueTooth phone kit

'08 E92 335i MT / Space Gray / Coral Red / Aluminum / ZSP / ZPP / iPod+USB / Heated seats

vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #30
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
^1 It is still too new to say this.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #31
Essing

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator325 View Post
This is why when I moved up to the E92, I went for a naturally aspirated 328i and not the twin-turbo. I've never liked turbo-powered engines. Turbo engines are inherently prone to pre-mature failure, it's the nature of the technology. I challenge anyone to find a turbo running around with a quarter-million miles on it that hasn't had half the engine replaced.
turbos a quarter million miles? Nature of the technology? Phoohey!!! I've met the challenge:

www.tdiclub.com
http://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/

Careful about your generalization big guy. Seriously, I will not be surprised to see e9x turbo cars getting into 200k+ miles without engine swaps.
2007 335i 6 spd
1985 635 Euro csi 5 spd
1986 535i 5 spd
1984 320i Baur 5 spd
1981 323i Euro 5 spd
Essing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #32
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini View Post
The E46 is just epic.
Yeah, epic POS.

BMWs just keep getting worse for quality.

Start making a list of all the common E46 problems. I'll start with my $3k repair for subframe tear-out. Yeah, that was certainly epic in my book. Let's see, how much is the bearing repair on a S54? I need a new sunroof cassette. That's pretty epic too. Most of us have a long list of lesser expensive repairs (which are so common it's amazing).

My E46 is both the best and the worst car I have ever owned. It has needed more repairs than the last 3 cars I've owned. Hell, two months before I bought my E46 my ex bought her Durango. The damned Durango was many many times more reliable than my E46. A Dodge of all things. Yep. Epic.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post

First of all , all AUTO tranny have lag. Second of all look at E46s resale value. A car that cost 45grand new can be had for under 8k 6 years later. Fiction? no, its a fact.

New cars are better in every single way. Yes they are much more expensive to fix, BUT they are better. E9X is one of them, if only you had seen the way the suspension is set up on a E9X you would understand what Im talking about and think that E46 chassis was designed by a drunk retard.

People always say they'll keep driving their old cars forever and dont like new cars or new cars are crap, its only because they cant afford a newer car. I cant afford one either and thats why Im still here
Old 08-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #34
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Quote:
I can afford a newer one. I don't care for the newer Bimmers. I hate the interiors of the newer Bimmers. They look like "your father's Oldsmobile" not a Bimmer.

As I said, my E46 is both the best and worst car I've ever owned and I'll be keeping it for a while. If I replace it, I will replace it with a E46 or E39 touring, but what I'm looking for is not easy to find (southern car, sport and premium packages, xenon headlamps, "right" color combo). So, I'll keep it and just ***** about the quality.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #35
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:

A) Most 6 year old E46's are worth well over $8K. It's the high mileaged or older brothers that dip low.

B) Who cares how the E9x chasis is setup, it doesn't drive any better, so being more "technologically advanced" doesn't, by default, mean it is going to be a better handling vehicle....and IMO, they arn't.

C) Feeling a little crabby lately? Plenty of folks here, and other E46 based sites, can easily afford a newer BMW. Plenty are young and cannot, I understand. But you are also hearing opinions from those of us who could and/or DO own an E9x and still say the E46 is better in a direct matchup.

Our E90 has had three times the amount of problems in 4 months than mine has had it's entire time with us (years!).
Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #36
OneOfaKindTrini

My Ride: 540i w/ 3 Pedals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Yeah, epic POS.

BMWs just keep getting worse for quality.

Start making a list of all the common E46 problems. I'll start with my $3k repair for subframe tear-out. Yeah, that was certainly epic in my book. Let's see, how much is the bearing repair on a S54? I need a new sunroof cassette. That's pretty epic too. Most of us have a long list of lesser expensive repairs (which are so common it's amazing).

My E46 is both the best and the worst car I have ever owned. It has needed more repairs than the last 3 cars I've owned. Hell, two months before I bought my E46 my ex bought her Durango. The damned Durango was many many times more reliable than my E46. A Dodge of all things. Yep. Epic.
Dude you're basing your expiriences on a 328i. Which they phased out after 2 MY's. I had a 528i which was a love hate relationship, overheating, dead battery after two days. no central locking. no functional sunroof, but that's what I get for buying a high mileage car from a kid who didn't give a sh*t about the car. I'm assuming your car is up there in mileage too.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #37
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
I can afford a newer one. I don't care for the newer Bimmers. I hate the interiors of the newer Bimmers. They look like "your father's Oldsmobile" not a Bimmer.

As I said, my E46 is both the best and worst car I've ever owned and I'll be keeping it for a while. If I replace it, I will replace it with a E46 or E39 touring, but what I'm looking for is not easy to find (southern car, sport and premium packages, xenon headlamps, "right" color combo). So, I'll keep it and just ***** about the quality.
Design is s personal preference, Im talking about the car as one. The fact that newer BMWs are better is a no brainier. Proven million of times.

But I cant believe I hear design preferences from a guy driving a Z3, its like having a diet class where the prof is a obese and about to collapse from a heart attack.

IMG_1725
Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #38
vadim

My Ride: 08 E92 335i, 05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
^1 It is still too new to say this.
Well, the car is almost 4 years old. By this time with any other car I owned I would have been on the first name basis with every service adviser at the dealer's shop.

As for the rage against turbos, they have been around forever.To name a few, Volvo's and Audi's turbo engines are fairly reliable, known to hold overboost well and no so hard to fix when they do fail. I don't see how the BMW's turbo technology can be inferior. They do conduct thorough R&D before running those production-scale.

'05 E46 325i MT / Silver Gray / Black Leatherette / Titan II
+ H&R Sport / Koni STR.T / OEM SSK / ZHP shifter knob / BPS alum. pedals / TMS 15mm spacers / Euro split-view mirrors / Manual rear sunshade / TRS Morimoto H1 Bi-Xenon / Amber LED halos / DICE iPod inerface / Parrot BlueTooth phone kit

'08 E92 335i MT / Space Gray / Coral Red / Aluminum / ZSP / ZPP / iPod+USB / Heated seats

vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #39
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
B) Who cares how the E9x chasis is setup, it doesn't drive any better, so being more "technologically advanced" doesn't, by default, mean it is going to be a better handling vehicle....and IMO, they arn't.
Ignorance is always high up in here. Why dont you call BMW and tell them they're doing something wrong Tell them their new 3 series cant handle as good as the old one.

Educate yourself before you make stupid statements.

IMG_1725
Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #40
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I hooked the g/f up with a low-mileage 2006 e90 330i. Normally aspirated 255 HP six, and I couldn't be happier. The car is a champ (except for the noisy, harsh-riding runflats).
E9x are heavy cars. I've driven 335s in 6 speeds and it seems like forever to get out of gear. Of course I'm comparing it to my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini View Post
The S54 is just epic.
Fixed