E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
Oil Leak?'s

I was tightening my headers and removing my SAP this morning and while my hand was down there against the block I noticed a little tiny bit of oil on my finger.

I am not sure if its the head gasket or the vanos gasket. If it is the vanos gasket should I do the vanos repair kit while I already have it tore apart?

My oil filter housing gasket is leaking also and I have money at the moment so I am trying to get all the parts I need to fix it all in one weekend.

The shop said also oil pan gasket might be leaking.

And most of these parts are reasonably priced so I am trying to get all of them.

Just want to see what you guys think. I know many of you on here have probably replaced the parts that I have mentioned.
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
hmmm any pics?
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallace530 View Post
I was tightening my headers and removing my SAP this morning and while my hand was down there against the block I noticed a little tiny bit of oil on my finger.

I am not sure if its the head gasket or the vanos gasket. If it is the vanos gasket should I do the vanos repair kit while I already have it tore apart?

My oil filter housing gasket is leaking also and I have money at the moment so I am trying to get all the parts I need to fix it all in one weekend.

The shop said also oil pan gasket might be leaking.

And most of these parts are reasonably priced so I am trying to get all of them.

Just want to see what you guys think. I know many of you on here have probably replaced the parts that I have mentioned.
Not sure where exactly you were, but VCG is most likely source of oil leak on exhaust side.

If everything is apart and you haven't done CCV yet, this might be a good time too...but since you removed SAP, I have a feeling you'll just remove CCV too...maybe not!

If VCG, then vanos seals/gasket

Too late for you to confirm oil pan, but I hear it's a pretty good gasket, though if auto, it's a good time to replace fluid and filter.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 08-06-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: meant SAP, not CCV...all fixed now!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
bwallace530

I could not see where the oil was coming from it was so little when I ran my finger under it I could not find where it was coming from.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
bwallace530

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Not sure where exactly you were, but VCG is most likely source of oil leak on exhaust side.

If everything is apart and you haven't done CCV yet, this might be a good time too...but since you removed CCV, I have a feeling you'll just remove CCV too...maybe not!

If VCG, then vanos seals/gasket

Too late for you to confirm oil pan, but I hear it's a pretty good gasket, though if auto, it's a good time to replace fluid and filter.
I did not remove CCV yet I was wanting to but did not get it it today. Kinda confused on what you are talking about with CCV?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
dmax

Quote:
I could not see where the oil was coming from it was so little when I ran my finger under it I could not find where it was coming from.
Photo of location of drip?

You know, you can live with a lot of drips...just not such a great idea when it's dripping on the exhaust mani heat shield!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
bwallace530

Quote:
Photo of location of drip?

You know, you can live with a lot of drips...just not such a great idea when it's dripping on the exhaust mani heat shield!
The whole problem I was running into is that I saw no oil at all stuck my head pretty close and could not see anything and after I ran my finger underneath and there was oil on my finger it was gone and no more was there so I am guessing it is a very very very small leak.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Valve cover gasket is the only thing that can leak where you described.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
bwallace530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Valve cover gasket is the only thing that can leak where you described.

Thanks and is the cheapest one around 255?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
dmax

Quote:
Thanks and is the cheapest one around 255?
What?

Valve cover, not head gasket. VCG can't be more than $50-75 iirc, maybe a tad more with the 15 grommets you need.

Do vanos seals, or consider it...that is the time.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
bwallace530

Quote:
What?

Valve cover, not head gasket. VCG can't be more than $50-75 iirc, maybe a tad more with the 15 grommets you need.

Do vanos seals, or consider it...that is the time.
Yeah I thought you wrote head gasket for some reason. VCG was not that much and the Dr. Vanos kit is about the same.

How long does it usually take to do these two things? And can you install with basic hand tools?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
dmax

Quote:
Yeah I thought you wrote head gasket for some reason. VCG was not that much and the Dr. Vanos kit is about the same.

How long does it usually take to do these two things? And can you install with basic hand tools?
When I did it a long time ago (maybe 1.5 years?) it probably took me about 5-6 hours, but I get easily distracted by dirt, so cleaning took at least half the time...that, and figuring things out.

Maybe 3-4 hours for a reasonably competent diyer...2 hours maybe the second time?

Oh, if you do Dr. Vanos and not just do the seals, it will save you about 1/2 hour. Beisan seals might sound frightening to do, but it was actually pretty easy. You're right there, you know, just 4 rings and one gasket away when doing the VCG.

(BTW, I'll fix typo above...I meant to say that if you deleted SAP, I thought you'd probably just delete the CCV also...not that I think doing either is a good idea--this is the world we're stuck on and it'd be nice to have trees around for our great grandchildren!)

Old 08-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
bwallace530

Quote:
When I did it a long time ago (maybe 1.5 years?) it probably took me about 5-6 hours, but I get easily distracted by dirt, so cleaning took at least half the time...that, and figuring things out.

Maybe 3-4 hours for a reasonably competent diyer...2 hours maybe the second time?

Oh, if you do Dr. Vanos and not just do the seals, it will save you about 1/2 hour. Beisan seals might sound frightening to do, but it was actually pretty easy. You're right there, you know, just 4 rings and one gasket away when doing the VCG.

(BTW, I'll fix typo above...I meant to say that if you deleted SAP, I thought you'd probably just delete the CCV also...not that I think doing either is a good idea--this is the world we're stuck on and it'd be nice to have trees around for our great grandchildren!)
Well the SAP I really dont like. I am not a big fan of emissions anyway. That is just my personal preference and sense there are no emissions testing in my area I said why not. I fill like my car runs alot better when it gone.

So DR. Vanos and Besian Seals and I should prabably have at least a day free.

Now tools can this be done with just regular hand tools? Or do I need some special tools?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Well the SAP I really dont like. I am not a big fan of emissions anyway. That is just my personal preference and sense there are no emissions testing in my area I said why not. I fill like my car runs alot better when it gone.

So DR. Vanos and Besian Seals and I should prabably have at least a day free.

Now tools can this be done with just regular hand tools? Or do I need some special tools?

Thanks
No, Dr. Vanos OR Besian seals, not both.

If you have hex/torx/and sockets, you should be good to go...assuming you have a torque wrench, or can dial in the force accurately with your hands...very little on the vcg, like 10 ft-lbs (that's not the torque, that 'about' the torque...check that!)

I'm not remembering anything special...think Beisan diy is pretty complete, it might list tools needed.

Just remember the two counter-rotating bolts on vanos pistons. Don't forget!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
bwallace530

Thanks for all the help. I will be getting these as soon as I get paid next
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
dmax

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I will be getting these as soon as I get paid next
What about me? What do I get? Thanks? Just thanks?

No Marissa picture; coupon for a black and tan?

What's the deal here guys? I thought everyone understood my motivations for being here?

BTW, it's time for another Furrie to come out already. Every fn one of you has a beagle, I know it...or dachshound (which is even grosser!). Just have out with it (no pics, Albeee...Drew! ).

You'll feel better...and your dog can begin the healing.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
bwallace530

Quote:
What about me? What do I get? Thanks? Just thanks?

No Marissa picture; coupon for a black and tan?

What's the deal here guys? I thought everyone understood my motivations for being here?

BTW, it's time for another Furrie to come out already. Every fn one of you has a beagle, I know it...or dachshound (which is even grosser!). Just have out with it (no pics, Albeee...Drew! ).

You'll feel better...and your dog can begin the healing.
Idk what you want but thanks for helping

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
dmax

Quote:
Idk what you want but thanks for helping

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
I thought I was pretty clear.

If you have no complicity with the dog thing no one but me seems bothered by, that's fine.

What about the rest...the Marissa at least? Pic, Marissa, flattering attractive pose...it's my fee and pretty much everyone here knows that.

That, or I'd take a car or beige leather heated sport seats. Not too complicated!

Welcome to fanatics. I'm pretty bad. Most here are really nice...most also like dogs an awful lot...you should know stuff like this before you get in too deep.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
bwallace530

Okay so this is what I am about to buy

Valve Cover Gasket-This is probably what was leaking and seems like you guys agree.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES18149/ES17830/

Vanos Sealing Gasket-Not sure if I should do this or wait.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES18149/ES23118/

Oil Filter Housing Gasket-This is leaking for sure.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES18149/ES23900/
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #20
dmax

the vanos seals are from Beisan systems only, I thought. The vanos sealing gasket sounds like it's the gasket between vanos and cylinder head...not what 'we' mean when we say vanos seals.

Search Beisan systems....it also has the best diy for doing vcg!

Tags
head gasket, oil filter housing gasket, vanos gasket