E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #221
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I dont want to add fuel to the fire but I have seen yellow tag for non 712 racks.

Let me see if I can dig them up on ebay. Meant to save the pictures but forgot

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #222
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I dont want to add fuel to the fire but I have seen yellow tag for non 712 racks.

Let me see if I can dig them up on ebay. Meant to save the pictures but forgot

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App
The color of the tags themselves doesn't mean anything. We're simply stating the color for clarification purposes.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #223
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,117
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Uhm... I'm the one who posted a wealth of information, dates, and part numbers. See a few posts back. lol
and yet you still don't understand the information that has been presented. the argument is pretty much put to rest with the information that has been presented in the last few pages of this thread. i guess you'll always either refuse to accept it or don't understand it.
regardless, i'm sure anyone searching can gain some knowledge from at least the last few pages of this thread and understand the zhp rack situation.
there's really nothing else to argue about. everything has been cleared up. realoem is wrong based on what rich has said about the '01+ racks. 712 is the zhp rack and it also extended to others. possibly the 330's that have the 712 rack received it under the "over boosted steering recall"
not sure if you car was part of that, mango.
there's really no rhyme or reason for some of the things bmw does. some people know that stereos sometimes affected the spring color codes for the suspension. however there are always 576 exceptions to every "rule" bmw has. we will never understand, or recognize a pattern in the steering racks from bmw. it just can't be done. so i will put out the bottom line:

the 712 rack is the zhp rack. other 330s received it but there is no noticeable pattern to which ones actually got it and why. the majority of non zhp 330s got the 678 zf rack or the TRW rack.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #224
LittleBear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brklyn. Got a Problem wit dat?
Posts: 644
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
...possibly the 330's that have the 712 rack received it under the "over boosted steering recall".
I guess it's too late for me to get a new rack with this recall program?!

Murf
__________________
"The Indian smiles, he thinks that the cowboy is his friend. The cowboy smiles, he is glad the Indian is fooled. Now he can exploit him"
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #225
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
and yet you still don't understand the information that has been presented. the argument is pretty much put to rest with the information that has been presented in the last few pages of this thread. i guess you'll always either refuse to accept it or don't understand it.
regardless, i'm sure anyone searching can gain some knowledge from at least the last few pages of this thread and understand the zhp rack situation.
there's really nothing else to argue about. everything has been cleared up. realoem is wrong based on what rich has said about the '01+ racks. 712 is the zhp rack and it also extended to others. possibly the 330's that have the 712 rack received it under the "over boosted steering recall"
not sure if you car was part of that, mango.
there's really no rhyme or reason for some of the things bmw does. some people know that stereos sometimes affected the spring color codes for the suspension. however there are always 576 exceptions to every "rule" bmw has. we will never understand, or recognize a pattern in the steering racks from bmw. it just can't be done. so i will put out the bottom line:

the 712 rack is the zhp rack. other 330s received it but there is no noticeable pattern to which ones actually got it and why. the majority of non zhp 330s got the 678 zf rack or the TRW rack.
Huh??

Not sure what you're getting at or what you're trying to argue. I'm the one posting research and information. I spent 2 hours on this last night researching realOEM as well as getting two actual cars on a LIFT) What do you mean I don't understand the information that's being presented? It's ME who is presenting the information! Have you seen the last couple of pages??

At this point, Rich and the other ZHP owners are arguing 712 racks are different internally depending on which model they're installed on. So Rich said he's going to order several racks and tear them down. You do know we're waiting for those results right? You did read that, right?

Alex323ci, Terraphntm, and myself are the ones that are saying the 712 is the ZHP rack. WE are the ones that have been arguing that based on part numbers and photographic evidence. That is US and has BEEN us.

One more negative comment from you and I am putting you on ignore permanently! This isn't productive. You came to this thread late and you really don't know what's currently going on. Read.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #226
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,117
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I guess it's too late for me to get a new rack with this recall program?!

Murf
no it was in 2001 i believe and only for original owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post

At this point, Rich and the other ZHP owners are arguing 712 racks are different internally depending on which model they're installed on.
No. not even close.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)

Last edited by peytonracer4; 11-06-2012 at 11:29 AM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #227
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,037
My Ride: 330i
So far the truth is:

1. There is not a ZHP specific rack (which Mango and company was saying).
2. There are 330's after 9/01 that came with a rack different than the 712 rack (what I was saying, based on my experience on driving other cars)
3. RealOEM is not comprehensive.

Agreed?
__________________

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #228
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
no it was in 2001 i believe and only for original owners.



No. not even close.
PeytonRacer, do you realize the whole reason this thread has blown up the way it did? Do you realize why people PM'd/e-mailed Rich and asked him to chime in?

Read the first response to this thread from me. Tell me what I say. Quote me... please.

You do realize you're arguing my point for me all while thinking you're actually against me when you're not, right?

ZHP6487, SeanC, o-bryce would not agree with you. You do realize that right?
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #229
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,117
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
So far the truth is:

1. There is not a ZHP specific rack (which Mango and company was saying).
2. There are 330's after 9/01 that came with a rack different than the 712 rack (what I was saying, based on my experience on driving other cars)
3. RealOEM is not comprehensive.

Agreed?
essentially yes. the 712 rack was only on the zhp but it also came on other 330s. the MAJORITY of 330s did not come with the 712 rack which makes the 712 rack the "zhp rack" but not absolutely exclusive to the zhp. we don't really know what pattern bmw followed in choosing which cars other than the zhp got the 712 rack, but some definitely did.

and also yes, realoem is not an end all resource. it is useful but does not tell us all the little secrets that happened when assembling each specific car.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #230
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,037
My Ride: 330i
I would rather keep the "steering rack" recall out of this discussion. It was a complete different issue that affected a small number 330's with MY up to 3/01..
__________________

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #231
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,117
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Does XI, non-XI specify a different rack? If not, then yes it will fit an XI. Use REALOEM.
this is the post you asked me to quote. not really sure how it's relevant.
point is, Rich and others are not saying the 712 rack installed on the zhp is different than the 712 rack installed on other 330s.
he is saying the 712 rack is the rack known as the "zhp rack" but it did come on a select few other 330s.
do you understand? i mean i feel like we should be on the same page but based on your posts we're not. the information is all there there's no opinions anymore just facts. there's no grey area.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #232
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
So far the truth is:

1. There is not a ZHP specific rack (which Mango and company was saying).
2. There are 330's after 9/01 that came with a rack different than the 712 rack (what I was saying, based on my experience on driving other cars)
3. RealOEM is not comprehensive.

Agreed?
1) You're losing hope too easily. While I agree this is the case and which is what we've been saying all along, Rich is pulling several racks for us. Wait and see. You just might have a special rack--but I doubt it as it seems highly unlikely.

2) I am not so sure about that. RealOEM doesn't agree with that either. That rack you say you are experiencing (purple tag 678) is installed on everything from 316ti to 330i. RealOEM says the purple tag 678 rack stopped in the US on 9/01 in favor for the 712 rack but CONTINUED for all other 323, 325, 328, etc. in the US and on ALL cars in europe.

3) It's all we have short of tearing open racks.

I'm so glad my car has a ZHP rack. I feel like it handles better already!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #233
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,399
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm the one posting research and information

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Carbon dioxide is not a "chemical"
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #234
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
this is the post you asked me to quote. not really sure how it's relevant.
point is, Rich and others are not saying the 712 rack installed on the zhp is different than the 712 rack installed on other 330s.
he is saying the 712 rack is the rack known as the "zhp rack" but it did come on a select few other 330s.
do you understand? i mean i feel like we should be on the same page but based on your posts we're not. the information is all there there's no opinions anymore just facts. there's no grey area.
Everyone has been stating the ZHP does not have its own special rack for years now. This is just thread #84 out of 300 across various forums. Definitely not the first.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #235
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post

I put two BMW 330s on a LIFT, spent two hours last night looking up part numbers and dates and listing them for you guys.

Are these two facts not true? Or are you just trying to troll??
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-06-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #236
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,037
My Ride: 330i
Loosing hope? I don't even own a ZHP, and I could care less if it had a different rack or not. I am here to learn, and I was simply conveying my experience after driving a few other 330s, including those with MY 09/01. And that experience was ZHP steering feel being different than other 330s, that I could not associate with control arms and/or other front end components, but isolated only to the rack itself.

I do not see any information in Rick's posts that contradicts my experience so far, and my 3 deductions above remain valid (you may or may not be sure about item 2, but it is a straightforward deduction based on the information provided so far by Rick).
__________________

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #237
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,117
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Everyone has been stating the ZHP does not have its own special rack for years now. This is just thread #84 out of 300 across various forums. Definitely not the first.
it does. it's the 712 rack. look mango, this is my last post for a while in this thread. you're driving me crazy. i'll try to help you one last time, and i think i know where you're getting confused.
there's a certain point where rich, and realoem are conflicting. the 678 rack or TRW, according to rich, was put in the 330 until the last one was made and it was the common non-zhp rack.
according to realoem, which you seem to follow religiously, the 678 rack stops for USA 330s in 01.
i'm going to go with rich on that because he gets cores back everyday from post 2001 cars and i'm sure he has statistics to back up his posts where he says that the 678 or TRW are the common racks in those cars. making the 712 rack exclusive to the zhp and a SELECT FEW NON ZHP 330s

that's it. the facts are there. you can choose to hold hands with realoem. but in this case, it is incorrect and the facts presented are solid.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)

Last edited by peytonracer4; 11-06-2012 at 11:49 AM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #238
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-BMW-...b8b4e7&vxp=mtr



http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-RACK...e862f7&vxp=mtr



Here's an 8/01 purple tag 678 rack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-325C...02c7a3&vxp=mtr

__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #239
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,177
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
it does. it's the 712 rack. look mango, this is my last post for a while in this thread. you're driving me crazy. i'll try to help you one last time, and i think i know where you're getting confused.
there's a certain point where rich, and realoem are conflicting. the 678 rack or TRW, according to rich, was put in the 330 until the last one was made and it was the common non-zhp rack.
according to realoem, which you seem to follow religiously, the 678 rack stops for USA 330s in 01.
i'm going to go with rich on that because he gets cores back everyday from post 2001 cars and i'm sure he has statistics to back up his posts where he says that the 678 or TRW are the common racks in those cars. making the 712 rack exclusive to the zhp and a SELECT FEW NON ZHP 330s

that's it. the facts are there. you can choose to hold hands with realoem. but in this case, it is incorrect and the facts presented are solid.
Still have no clue what you are trying to say. i feel like you went online, copied and pasted a bunch of words, and randomly threw them in a post. you're now on ignore--permanently.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #240
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,117
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Still have no clue what you are trying to say. i feel like you went online, copied and pasted a bunch of words, and randomly threw them in a post. you're now on ignore--permanently.
the facts have been presented to you and you still just don't get it. it's hopeless. hopefully anyone searching can sift through all the crap in here and understand the facts.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use