E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #241
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Thanks Mango,
I just bought this one!

Folks, please don't gunk up a great thread with further 'he said, she said'. Just say no!

Murf
Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #242
The Rack Doctor
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: all BMW
WOW I mean WOW

OK Lets start fresh from square 1

I have NEVER said that there was a difference in the 712 tagged racks THERE IS NOT...... NUFF said a 712 rack is a 712 rack

WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY if you will stop long enough to read

There were 3 different racks used on the 330

1 a TRW rack this rack was manufactured by TRW and has NO TAG rack is stamped T R W

2. A purple 678 tag rack with 3 turns

3 a yellow 712 Tag rack also with 3 turns

I questioned what is the difference between the 678 tag and the 712 tag and was told the torsion bars were different giving a different feel. (not going to post the same dirty pictures all over again)

The gear in the 678 tag and the 712 tag are slightly different as well

Based on the 100's - 1000's of cores returned from customers based on what they order and tag numbers given to me on the phone on top of countless hours at core suppliers (where racks are tagged from junk yards) and hours buying cores in junk yards over 26 years. this is the data I have come up with.

What I have seen is anyone who has claimed to have a ZHP has ALWAYS sent in a 712 rack as a core apparently there were other packages as well that shared this rack I have even had a 712 rack returned from a 323

Yes I agree the 678 tag was also used in the 325 that would be why they have the same part number on my site as well (hmmmmmm weird)

If people are so inclined to believe that there is ONE rack and Only One rack used in every 330 so be it. If you would like the addresses for all of the customers that sent back other racks rather than that of the 712 rack from their 330s so you can go beat them to death with a baseball bat ........... well I can't help you there.

I find it a little funny how after 2 full hours of research you (Mr. Mango) have become angry, I have to wonder if you had done this for 25 + years how you would feel ?

This bickering is just one big circle and the facts have been very confusing, one would wonder if this is intentional just to move the forum up in google searches.

The racks I "WAS" intending to break down were the 678 tag vs the 712 tag and never the 712 vs the 712, they are the same to think otherwise would be silly. I don't think this was EVER a debate. I was simply trying to convey that from all of my resources physically touching, holding, handling, building, and sometimes cuddling with rack and pinions as well as discussions with other builders also in the industry for 25 + years that there were 3 rack and pinions used on the 330's

1. a TRW Rack (rack is stamped T R W )
2. Purple 678 tagged racks
3. Yellow Tag Tagged Racks

To answer an earlier question there is another yellow tag this was on the earlier 330 (2001) and was tag Number 599 this would be the same as the 643 tag (silver) a 3.4 turn unit.

I feel that regardless of any information posted it will turn into some end of the world debate. If I were to state that the pinion was splined, someone would argue that it was not really splined it was broached and splines are made from a broaching machine so they are not called splines ...........

Once again I was simply trying to help and seems some people get it and some don't... I am only posting again to point out that I DID NOT claim the 712 racks were different only that there were different racks on the 330 models if I have not explained this well enough then I am sorry.

Be well
Rack Doc

Last edited by The Rack Doctor; 11-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
The Rack Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #243
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rack Doctor View Post
WOW I mean WOW

OK Lets start fresh from square 1

I have NEVER said that there was a difference in the 712 tagged racks THERE IS NOT...... NUFF said a 712 rack is a 712 rack

WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY if you will stop long enough to read

There were 3 different racks used on the 330

1 a TRW rack this rack was manufactured by TRW and has NO TAG rack is stamped T R W

2. A purple 678 tag rack with 3 turns

3 a yellow 712 Tag rack also with 3 turns

I questioned what is the difference between the 678 tag and the 712 tag and was told the torsion bars were different giving a different feel. (not going to post the same dirty pictures all over again)

The gear in the 678 tag and the 712 tag are slightly different as well

Based on the 100's - 1000's of cores returned from customers based on what they order and tag numbers given to me on the phone on top of countless hours at core suppliers (where racks are tagged from junk yards) and hours buying cores in junk yards over 26 years. this is the data I have come up with.

What I have seen is anyone who has claimed to have a ZHP has ALWAYS sent in a 712 rack as a core apparently there were other packages as well that shared this rack I have even had a 712 rack returned from a 323

Yes I agree the 678 tag was also used in the 325 that would be why they have the same part number on my site as well (hmmmmmm weird)

If people are so inclined to believe that there is ONE rack and Only One rack used in every 330 so be it. If you would like the addresses for all of the customers that sent back other racks rather than that of the 712 rack from their 330s so you can go beat them to death with a baseball bat ........... well I can't help you there.

I find it a little funny how after 2 full hours of research you (Mr. Mango) have become angry, I have to wonder if you had done this for 25 + years how you would feel ?

This bickering is just one big circle and the facts have been very confusing, one would wonder if this is intentional just to move the forum up in google searches.

The racks I "WAS" intending to break down were the 678 tag vs the 712 tag and never the 712 vs the 712, they are the same to think otherwise would be silly. I don't think this was EVER a debate. I was simply trying to convey that from all of my resources physically touching, holding, handling, building, and sometimes cuddling with rack and pinions as well as discussions with other builders also in the industry for 25 + years that there were 3 rack and pinions used on the 330's

1. a TRW Rack (rack is stamped T R W )
2. Purple 678 tagged racks
3. Yellow Tag Tagged Racks

To answer an earlier question there is another yellow tag this was on the earlier 330 (2001) and was tag Number 599 this would be the same as the 643 tag (silver) a 3.4 turn unit.

I feel that regardless of any information posted it will turn into some end of the world debate. If I were to state that the pinion was splined, someone would argue that it was not really splined it was broached and splines are made from a broaching machine so they are not called splines ...........

Once again I was simply trying to help and seems some people get it and some don't... I am only posting again to point out that I DID NOT claim the 712 racks were different only that there were different racks on the 330 models if I have not explained this well enough then I am sorry.

Be well
Rack Doc
You should have said that in your original post. This is exactly what we (Alex323ci, Terraphntm, and myself) have been saying all along.

The 330i ZHP does not have a unique rack. Case closed! Thanks!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #244
The Rack Doctor
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: all BMW
Quote:
You should have said that in your original post. This is exactly what we (Alex323ci, Terraphntm, and myself) have been saying all along.

OK and the ZHP only used the 712 rack where the 330's had 3 different racks !!!!
The Rack Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #245
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
OK and the ZHP only used the 712 rack where the 330's had 3 different racks !!!!
Yes there were certainly three different racks for 330s in general. TRW, 678 purple tag, and 712 yellow tag. The first two were also used in other E46s such as 316, 318, 320, 323, 325, 328, and 330 while the 712 is specific to both 9/01+ 330 and the ZHP (which also falls into the 9/01+ range because it's a 2003MY car)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #246
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
Quote:
Quote:
Yes there were certainly three different racks for 330s in general. TRW, 678 purple tag, and 712 yellow tag. The first two were also used in other E46s such as 316, 318, 320, 323, 325, 328, and 330 while the 712 is specific to both 9/01+ 330 and the ZHP (which also falls into the 9/01+ range because it's a 2003MY car)
stop, mango. just stop. listen to "the rack doctor." re-read all his posts in this thread. then, before you post again, re-read them again.
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #247
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:

Yeah, but you were also saying there was only one rack for 330's produced after MY 09/01, thanks to your part number "research" on realOEM. Any comments on that?

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 11-06-2012 at 02:51 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #248
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:

Quote:
HOLY CRAP! mango you just don't get it so STOP! everyone else seems to understand what he is saying except you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
stop, mango. just stop. listen to "the rack doctor." re-read all his posts in this thread. then, before you post again, re-read them again.
this!

Last edited by peytonracer4; 11-06-2012 at 03:01 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #249
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Yeah, but you were also saying there was only one rack for 330's produced after MY 09/01, thanks to your part number "research" on realOEM. Any comments on that?
That is still my opinion. I don't see why BMW would have a boatload of racks to install on one particular model past a certain build date. So we'll trust RealOEM on the 4-ribbed belt vs. 5-rib belt and every other 9/01+ part change EXCEPT for the steering rack debacle? So far, if you look for racks on eBay, all the yellow tag 712 racks are 9/01+ date stamped and did you see the 8/01 date stamp i posted?

Yeah. It's purple.

Yeah I know Rich posted a 678 MY04 rack, but like I said that could have been from a 325.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #250
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
That is still my opinion. I don't see why BMW would have a boatload of racks to install on one particular model past a certain build date. So we'll trust RealOEM on the 4-ribbed belt vs. 5-rib belt and every other 9/01+ part change EXCEPT for the steering rack debacle? So far, if you look for racks on eBay, all the yellow tag 712 racks are 9/01+ date stamped and did you see the 8/01 date stamp i posted?

Yeah. It's purple.

Yeah I know Rich posted a 678 MY04 rack, but like I said that could have been from a 325.
**** you looked up on eBay one day vs. 25 years of experience in disassembling and reassembling steering racks.

Hmmm...I wonder who to believe...

Look. Here's all he is saying.

ZHPs are guaranteed to come with the 712 rack. They will have it, no matter what.

A 330 may or may not have a 712 rack, it has not determined how or why it is. Standard 330s might have the 712 rack, but over the years, they have had three different possible racks, while the ZHP has had one and only one style rack. He's seen a 712 come from a 323i, while he's seen a 678 come from a 330i.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #251
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
**** you looked up on eBay one day vs. 25 years of experience in disassembling and reassembling steering racks.

ZHPs are guaranteed to come with the 712 rack. They will have it, no matter what.

A 330 may or may not have a 712 rack, it has not determined how or why it is. Standard 330s might have the 712 rack, but over the years, they have had three different possible racks, while the ZHP has had one and only one style rack. He's seen a 712 come from a 323i, while he's seen a 678 come from a 330i.
this. f u c k i n g this
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #252
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post

Uh. you don't know what you are saying. you are missing the point. you and everyone else attacking me are arguing my same point. YOU guys were the one claiming your ZHPs have a special rack. now you are conveniently ignoring that YOU were wrong and redirecting your anger elsewhere.

My stance has been the same, has not been changed, and has been proven to be correct.

fact: you are permanently on my ignore list now. i have little to no tolerance for inability to understand simple things especially when its combined with swear words and anger.

As everyone always said, 9/01+, RealOEM specifies a different rack. To date, we haven't seen evidence otherwise.

I'll put some more 9/01+ 330s on a lift.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #253
bryce-o

i never claimed my zhp had a speical rack. mango, you keep saying i said/posted this, but there is no posts in this thread, or on zhpmafia, or anywhere to prove your false accusation. just seriously shut up, please.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #254
bryce-o

Quote:
re-posting in hopes that mango will read this
Old 11-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #255
Mango
A full five stars, son

I will not be responding to cursewords, swearwords, or other violent/threatening hostility.

ZHP does not have a unique rack. End of story.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #256
bryce-o

Quote:
re-posting in hopes that mango will read this
Quote:
i never claimed my zhp had a speical rack. mango, you keep saying i said/posted this, but there is no posts in this thread, or on zhpmafia, or anywhere to prove your false accusation. just seriously shut up, please.
Quote:
I will not be responding to cursewords, swearwords, or other violent/threatening hostility.

ZHP does not have a unique rack. End of story.
please, just focus on these posts. you're delusional
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #257
Mango
A full five stars, son

I will leave any more responses to the newly appointed Grand Kodiak aka Alex323ci. I'm done here!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #258
bryce-o

classic. gets proven wrong, then leaves and says "i'm done here."

that's the low road, in my opinion, to owning up to what you thought you knew. high road would be to say, yes, i was wrong, or yes, i have more to learn.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #259
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
classic. gets proven wrong, then leaves and says "i'm done here."

that's the low road, in my opinion, to owning up to what you thought you knew. high road would be to say, yes, i was wrong, or yes, i have more to learn.
no, mango knows everything about this because he has the 712 rack and access to realoem. just like he know everything about K&N filters because he owned one for a week and didn't see a 10% increase in power.

can we please get mango out of this thread? he keeps posting worthless garbage saying he's right about some crap! rack doctor has posted some very useful info that has been unknown until now and mango has to come in here and act like he knows something when, even though the facts are literally in front of his face, continues to make a fool of himself. holy crap

Last edited by peytonracer4; 11-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #260
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
no, mango knows everything about this because he has the 712 rack and access to realoem. just like he know everything about K&N filters because he owned one for a week and didn't see a 10% increase in power.

can we please get mango out of this thread? he keeps posting worthless garbage saying he's right about some crap! rack doctor has posted some very useful info that has been unknown until now and mango has to come in here and act like he knows something when, even though the facts are literally in front of his face, continues to make a fool of himself. holy crap
cheers, peyton. i agree. i actually think mango has admin/mod friends. i had several posts deleted today because i don't agree with mango. sad story is, tomorrow, he'll still be regarded as teh e46 expert. people take his opinion as fact. opinions are opinions. rack doctor has more facts. that, albeit ironic, is my opinion