E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Dyno Comparisons: Dynojet,mustang....

Like the title says: I've been talking with a lot of different motor builders / Dyno shops trying to get a somewhat accurate calculation on all the popular Dynos E46Fanatics forum members use. There has always been some confusion when one forum member posts great results for his/her Bimmer, and then another forum member with almost or exactly the same high performance parts yields a way lower (or higher) dyno number. The fact is, different dyno manufactures yield different dyno results. I recently came across this comparison online, based on my research it's pretty darn accurate.

Now on to the comparison:

"Here is how the various dyno manufactures relate to one another. This is just a comparison of numbers output assuming the same vehicle on the dyno.

The industry leader in number output by far is Dynojet. Their marketing in the mid-90's specifically used the larger output numbers as a selling item.

Next is Mustang, generally about 7% less than Dynojet numbers.

Superflow is about 3% less than Mustang.

Dyna-Pak and Dyno Dynamics are about 3% less than Superflow.

Ok lets make this point again to make sure it's clear. The SAME CAR on the DIFFERENT DYNOS. So our test vehicle output on the various dynos are as follows:"

Dyna-Pak/Dyno Dynamics 200hp
Superflow 206hp
Mustang 214hp
Dynojet 226hp

I hope this helps the next time a forum member puts up dyno results & you're trying to compare them to your results, or someone Else's.

In the end it's not about the numbers, it's about how well your Bimmer is tuned; and how well it works against the competition. (if you have some)

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
One other thing. No matter what, keep using the same dyno if you are tinkering around with your car. That way, you at least you can eliminate one variable.

Also, in racing, everyone else has more power than you. The only reasons why you can keep up is because of better braking and handling.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Michel

My Ride: 330ci
nice, thanks for the info!
so theoretically I dyno'ed 225whp on a dyna-pak, I should be around 250 whp on a dynojet... hmm I'm curious to try this!
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
One other thing. No matter what, keep using the same dyno if you are tinkering around with your car. That way, you at least you can eliminate one variable.

+1

Great writeup!

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
4dr05zhp6mt

My Ride: e66 Monaco Blue
Send a message via AIM to 4dr05zhp6mt
Sorry if its a repost, but a good article on nevertheless .
http://www.dinancars.com/university/

SOLD05 330i 4dr zhp 6MT Jet Black | AA C38-81 S/C, 80mm pulley, water/meth injection | AA headers | Vac Motorsport 248/256 FI cams |

https://www.4shared.com/account/home...edir=105531274 (link to INPA v5, GTv44, EDIABAS, EasyDIS
4dr05zhp6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post

Also, in racing, everyone else has more power than you. The only reasons why you can keep up is because of better braking and handling.
Depends on the kind of racing, but sometimes the races are won in the straights

less time in the corners... more time on the throttle

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote