E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
bighitbiker3

My Ride: Nothing as of yet.
Valve Cover Broken Screws...Help!!

Alright guys so I kinda effed up, but I don't think it's too big of one. I was replacing my VCG tonight and I was screwing in one of the top 4 that holds the cover on. I was screwing on the top bolt closest to the front of the car to 10lbs on my torque wrench. Maybe my torque wrench wasn't sensitive enough, but it broke off the screw below it that screws into the block (I think?). I know it's confusing but if you've seen it I think you know what i'm talking about.

I have these pictures to explain it. But my question is what are the two screws called? What's the part number or whatever i'd ask for when I call BMW or a shop?

Pics:
Where my finger is pointing is the hole where the original screw that you screw the valve cover onto. I broke the one that goes inside of that hole.

Here is the valve cover top bolt that has a piece of the screw that goes in the above hole in its threads. I need a new one of these (rubber and washer are fine, just need the screw.)

Sorry for the horrible phone pictures. Please tell me what both of the screws part numbers are ASAP!

Thanks so much,
Elliott

Last edited by bighitbiker3; 08-09-2011 at 12:43 AM.
bighitbiker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
bighitbiker3

Car is a 2003 330ci if that makes any difference
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
mkodama

They are actually valve cover NUTS that hold the valve cover on, and you broke the stud that is threaded into the head.

I think the stud is part 26 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=11&fg=15

first you are going to need a screw extractor set. You could probably skip the left handed drill bits and use a normal drill bits. I bought this cheapo set as essentially an emergency throw away kit: http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10-Piece...2873131&sr=8-1

Just drill through the stud making very sure the drill is centered, then after you drill the hole, lightly tap in the extractor with a hammer, and unscrew the stud.

If you are lucky, the female threads will be fine and you just thread in the replacement piece. If not, you will need to learn how to do a heli-coil or other thread repair system to fix/replace the threads first.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
mkodama

And don't use a torque wrench of the wrong range on those nuts. You don't want to be using the absolute lowest setting on your torque wrench unless you are positive it doesn't over torque. Usually for torque that low, they need their own special torque wrench. Even so, you need to remember the only point of that nut is to lightly compress the rubber valve cover gasket. It's one of the few cases where under-torquing the nut is better.

Last edited by mkodama; 08-09-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
no need to drill or tap the broken stud. if you remove the Valve cober you will see that your broken stud has a welded/integrated/built in, etc 8mm nut. remove the nut to remove the stud and replace.

this will take you 5 seconds to fix. the good news is that you dont even have to remove the valve cover. use a small 8mm socket to remove that broken stud. make sure you use loctite on your new stud afterward.

you can thank me later dude

see here

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...5&postcount=11

Last edited by flashmeow; 08-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
The proper way to tighten the VCG is to hand tighten them until they stop then back out 1/4 or half a turn.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by newe46fan View Post
The proper way to tighten the VCG is to hand tighten them until they stop then back out 1/4 or half a turn.
The proper way is to use a torque wrench . I couldn't find a precise enough ft lbs one that wasn't 200$+ so I went and got a in lbs wrench . Very very precise . I recommend it!

Sent from my HERO200 using Bimmer App
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaurimn View Post
The proper way is to use a torque wrench . I couldn't find a precise enough ft lbs one that wasn't 200$+ so I went and got a in lbs wrench . Very very precise . I recommend it!

I digress. not that I don't have one. But i've been wrenching for quite a while that I don't need one for something as a VCG. I know by feel how much 8 ft-lbs is or 20 ft-lbs. It's not much. I can also feel if the bolt is stretching and about to give with a 3/8's wrench were as with a torque wrench I cannot. Hence Why i've never broken a bolt by over tightening..

VCG studs and bolts are not meant to torque and stretch as you can see how easily they break. Their just mean to hold down the VCG.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 08-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
I digress. not that I don't have one. But i've been wrenching for quite a while that I don't need one for something as a VCG. I know by feel how much 8 ft-lbs is or 20 ft-lbs. It's not much. I can also feel if the bolt is stretching and about to give with a 3/8's wrench were as with a torque wrench I cannot. Hence Why i've never broken a bolt by over tightening..

VCG studs and bolts are not meant to torque and stretch as you can see how easily they break. Their just mean to hold down the VCG.
I understand that for yourself but I don't think the op guy has the same experience as you . I definitely don't have enough to guess torque . More power to you .

2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
bighitbiker3

Thanks guys. I got the new parts from the shop. Going to finish it up today! I'll just lightly tighten them...i'm afraid my muscles will break another one

/sarcasm
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
bighitbiker3

One more thing? I've read some people dont use locktight on the stud and some do. What do you guys think? Use locktight or not? If so red or blue?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
Just use the lock tight to be on the safe side, you can never go wrong with it. Use the blue.
Sanchjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
bighitbiker3

Wow my spelling is bad. Loctite*. Thanks so much for your help guys!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
So did it work? Using loctite is recommended but not required. That stud is not going to come loose due to vibration anytime soon. Like the above member said, use blue loctite.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
bighitbiker3

Runs beautifully. Thanks guys
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
modular93fox

My Ride: 1987 R10
Quote:
I wouldnt take this advice... I do valve cover gaskets all the time, and its never tight and then loosen. I use a 1/4 ratchet with a 10mm deep socket and when it stops it stops, and just a little more. Tigten it with common sense and your be good. If you tighen it and loosen it, what do you think will happen? let common sense answer that one.
clint

and in the picture its #10... #26 looks like an exhaust manifold bolt.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #17
mkodama

Quote:
That's bad advice. What does backing out a half a turn even do?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
I just replaced my valvecover gasket last night and i noticed that the bolts stop abruptly and I didnt try to tighten them down after that, and there were no leaks. No need for a torque bar here, u just need experience with these things.
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
That's bad advice. What does backing out a half a turn even do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
I wouldnt take this advice... I do valve cover gaskets all the time, and its never tight and then loosen. I use a 1/4 ratchet with a 10mm deep socket and when it stops it stops, and just a little more. Tigten it with common sense and your be good. If you tighen it and loosen it, what do you think will happen? let common sense answer that one.
clint

and in the picture its #10... #26 looks like an exhaust manifold bolt.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #20
bighitbiker3

Okay so for some reason a new gasket didn't stop the leak..I put RTV sealant on the half moons, but maybe it wasn't enough? What i'm wondering is if I can do it again with the same gasket? I've driven with it for probably about a week and I still have a leak. How much RTV sealant should I use?

Thanks,
Elliott