E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
05graysport

My Ride: 46/325 B5/S4 39/M5
Regular(87) vs Premium fuel(93) real test numbers

Alright guys, just wanted to pass some interesting information that I concluded after two full gas tanks.

I have a 2005 325i with 80,000k miles, 1000 miles on the newly changed mobil 1 0w40 oil, new air filter, stock 225/45/17 tires with OEM tire pressure gauging pressures.

I used the vehicle solely for my certain commute and my other vehicle for everything else, just to get an actual test. Obviously both tanks dont have exact driving habits to the T, but they are fairly close.

On Regular 87 Octane, the vehicle put out 243.2 miles on 13.70 gallons.

On Premium 93 Octane, the vehicle put out 258.4 miles on 13.81 gallons.

The car as expected performed significantly better with throttle response ONLY, with 93 Premium octane fuel. I do not race, this car is not intended to race and do not leave the car idling for mass periods of time.

I know there have been many debates as to which fuel to use. In my opinion the difference in throttle response was not even the deciding factor, it was the peace of mind that an octane that is 6 points purer is being used, as this high compression engine states it.

As stated here before, no knocking due to the on board ECU retarding the throttle, to prevent it.

The price difference constantly around my area is $0.22 cents higher for Premium, on 16.6 gallons making the cost, $3.65, however never realistically dipping into the fuel reserves, probably closer to $3.00 per fill up.

The mileage calculates to be: 17.75 MPG on pure 87 octane. 18.81 MPG on pure 93 octane. In my experience, 99% accuracy on the fuel level and MPG to my calculations, I got around 15 Miles more with premium. With a current cost of Premium at $3.85 per gallon, I paid $3.07 in "mileage" to get 15 miles more on my tank, making it 100% WORTHWHILE to use premium as it was basically FREE.

As a long time Audi S4 owner, finally giving in to BMW, I would never ever stick the 87 octane gas in the vehicle due to the higher available octane.

Few points to conclude if you made it this far:

If you drive purely city only, premium fuel at $0.22 cents higher than regular will cost you nothing.

If you drive purely city only, premium fuel HIGHER than $0.22 cents than regular will cost you more.

If you drive mixed with highway, or only Highway, you are loosing money with regular, hands down.

Obviously this all only pertains to those who still believe it is worth using regular 87 octane in a high compression ratio engine, but from the tests I did, if you are really cost conscious and dont care much about your vehicle, $0.20-0.25 is about the area where the cost neutralizes.

The fuel used in the vehicle was from Mobil Gas stations, Shell V power seems to yield greater results, but thats another topic.

Hope this helps some people, maybe trolls in determining that it is not cost friendly to use Regular, however those who must choose to still use 87 can now realize it is not only not beneficial for the engine/throttle response, but it does not save you anything!

Good Luck!
05graysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
HaloArchive

My Ride: My Office Chair
Good Info.
HaloArchive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
Thats great info. Finally some good data thats says yes premier is better then regular.

Good job
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Shell premium is all I use anymore, great info thanks.
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
mkodama

A price per mile value would be nice to see, but a pretty good post.

Another thing is premium isn't "purer" than regular, nor are you listing the actual octane rating. In the US we used Anti-Knock Index or AKI, because fuel isn't made out of just octane and heptane anymore, and all it tells is the resistance and speed of combustion. Premium could could be more or less "pure" and it has no effect on AKI.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05graysport View Post
Hope this helps some people, maybe trolls in determining that it is not cost friendly to use Regular, however those who must choose to still use 87 can now realize it is not only not beneficial for the engine/throttle response, but it does not save you anything!
Exactly!

Aside from better fuel economy or throttle response it's obvious that premium needs to be used. If I'm not mistaken all of our cars are initially tuned to 91 octane. By using something of a lower quality it can increase wear on the engine.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Another thing is premium isn't "purer" than regular, nor are you listing the actual octane rating. In the US we used Anti-Knock Index or AKI, because fuel isn't made out of just octane and heptane anymore, and all it tells is the resistance and speed of combustion. Premium could could be more or less "pure" and it has no effect on AKI.
Aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?

Last edited by Shmo; 08-12-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Owned by mkodama
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Alpha Beta

My Ride: Los Angeles
Excellent post OP

You've prolly didn't pay that much attention to the wording, but as the other poster noted; premium is not "purer".

The higher the octane the less flamable the fuel is.

It's so to allow for higher compression without premature ignition.

---------------------------

More ...

Fuel heats up under compression and if it's not the proper octane level, it will ignite prematurely.

Last edited by Alpha Beta; 08-12-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Alpha Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
great post. also another reason for using name brand (more specifically Top Tier) gasonline brand is for deposit control.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
05graysport

My Ride: 46/325 B5/S4 39/M5
I stand corrected about the Octane definition. I was always under the impression that gas is derived from crude oil and the ratio or amount of octane in the Fuel is 87 for regular and "more purified" 93 meaning it went through another process to take out more carbon deposits, hence what builds up on fuel injectors over time! Also know that jet engines take very high octane 100+ fuel and I attributed that to the purer fuel needed to run such a high performing engine.

Time to do some reading

Good overall discussion, closes some ends for some folks.
05graysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of the octane rating. For those who don't want to look it up, I'll try to explain it here:

Iso-octane is arbirtrarily assigned an octane rating of 100, and heptane is assigned a rating of 0. To determine the octane rating (at least back in the day), the fuel would be compared to varying mixtures of iso-octane and heptane. The percentage of iso-octane in the mixture that burns in the same manner as the fuel is the number used to assign the octane rating. A fuel that burns in a very controlled manner may be assigned a rating 93, and one that is very explosive might be something like 20. There is some confusion because there are two different standards for octane rating - the research octane number (RON) and motor octane number (MON). The numbers are determined by different procedures between the two standards. European gas stations go by RON, while the US gas stations go by the Anti Knock Index (which is RON and MON averaged together)

The octane rating only concerns the rate of burning; it has nothing to do with the energy content of the fuel, nor does it have anything to do with the purity of a fuel. Ethanol for example only has 70% the energy of normal gasoline, but it has an octane rating of around 110 (it burns slower than iso-octane)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
However, I heard higher octane gas has more detergent and I remember seeing some pictures comparing 87 octane gas with 91 octane gas from the same gas station. The 91 octane gas has a lighter color and is clearer too.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #12
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallace530 View Post
Thats great info. Finally some good data thats says yes premier is better then regular.

Good job
This
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
mkodama

Summarized in a single post, using gas prices from my area:

regular: (3.81 $/g)/(17.75 m/g) = $0.215 $/mile
premium: (4.03 $/g)/(18.81 m/g) = $0.214 $/mile + better performance

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #14
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
However, I heard higher octane gas has more detergent and I remember seeing some pictures comparing 87 octane gas with 91 octane gas from the same gas station. The 91 octane gas has a lighter color and is clearer too.
Detergents and additives will depend on the brand of gasoline. Some choose to put more "good stuff" in the highest octane gasoline, some put the same stuff in all grades, and some just use crap.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #15
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
great info op.
I've been using premium lately and car feels a lot more responsive. I get about 10miles more a full tank than regular also

again great info...
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #16
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05graysport View Post
I stand corrected about the Octane definition. I was always under the impression that gas is derived from crude oil and the ratio or amount of octane in the Fuel is 87 for regular and "more purified" 93 meaning it went through another process to take out more carbon deposits, hence what builds up on fuel injectors over time! Also know that jet engines take very high octane 100+ fuel and I attributed that to the purer fuel needed to run such a high performing engine.

Time to do some reading

Good overall discussion, closes some ends for some folks.
Indeed.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/

It's fairly technical, so I suspect 90% of the people who open this link won't read past the first paragraph or two. But, those who read all 4 parts will have a much better understanding of gasoline and "octane" AKI, etc.

There is a lot of meaningless stuff in this thread and misstatements.

An ECU does not retard the throttle to control knock. Usually it retards timing. It can do many things though including running richer, which while burning more fuel, also cools the combustion.

Compression ratio is but one small factor in the need for higher octane. Fuel/air ratio, volumetric efficiency, even the design of the combustion chamber (and more) all play a role.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Detergents and additives will depend on the brand of gasoline. Some choose to put more "good stuff" in the highest octane gasoline, some put the same stuff in all grades, and some just use crap.
correct. chevron/texacco puts techron on all of their grades of gasoline (87-93 oct) but Shell only puts Nitrogen in their V-Power (lower grades don't get as much Nitrogen)
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
I filled up with 87 octane, my MPG on the highway did not go past 28mpg. Added fuel injector cleaner(when close to an empty tank), filled up 93 octane,MPG went up to 29.4mpg.

I am sure if I change fuel filter, and spark plugs. I should be acquiring more MPGs. The dirt cheap 87 gas must have clogged it up since I hear on the forums that everyone hits 30+ mpgs

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
I filled up with 87 octane, my MPG on the highway did not go past 28mpg. Added fuel injector cleaner(when close to an empty tank), filled up 93 octane,MPG went up to 29.4mpg.

I am sure if I change fuel filter, and spark plugs. I should be acquiring more MPGs. The dirt cheap 87 gas must have clogged it up since I hear on the forums that everyone hits 30+ mpgs
I barely get 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Good stuff, but doesn't it take a while for the car to sense the different octane gas? I'm saying if it takes more than just one tank to notice it.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote