E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced the dreaded "Force Close"?
No, never and I've never installed any apps. 4 11.11%
No, never and I've installed one or two apps. 1 2.78%
No, never and I've installed quite a few apps. 6 16.67%
Yes, and I've never installed any apps. 3 8.33%
Yes, and I've installed one or two apps. 14 38.89%
Yes, and I've installed quite a few apps. 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Dynavin Android owners Pt.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
"force close" on multiple apps all the time causing the unit to become unusable and requiring reinstallation of the OS. THAT is what this poll is about.
With the "force close" problems circulating, I've decided to come up with this poll to see just how many Dynavin Android owners are experiencing this problem and how many aren't. Hopefully this will lead to pinpointing the cause and eventually resolving the issue for all.

I'm going to keep this poll simple, please pick a poll option then answer the corresponding questions below:

Android OS side ONLY-

1. How long have you had your unit installed?
2. Is the unit connected to the Internet all the time?
3. What apps have you installed?

please feel free to contact me to add any relevant questions.

Last edited by ketchup; 09-08-2011 at 06:29 PM.
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
One VERY important distinction: Just because you got a force close does not mean you have the "force close issue". Force close in android is just like "the program is not responding" in windows and is common and NORMAL for android. These type of problems have specific solutions like connecting to the internet, clearing the cache, or reinstalling a corrupt app.

What is not normal is when you get a "force close" on multiple apps all the time causing the unit to become unusable and requiring reinstallation of the OS. THAT is what this poll is about.

Now for my info:

First time: Every app imaginable installed plus custom wallpapers and Launcher Pro. (no usefull info here)

Second time: iGo installed for a few weeks, no issues, installed Pandora and had FC a week later. Custom Wallpaper but standard launcher. when it crashed Pandora went first (at boot), then the rest of the apps followed.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 08-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
TheKingSim0n

My Ride: BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to TheKingSim0n
After the way i played around with my android unit, we need anothrr option that said yes all the above...
Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup
Yes, and:
1. What settings have you changed since receiving your unit?
Jeff's recommendations and firmware only.

Quote:
2. Which apps have prompted the Force Close?
Pandora, launcher pro, and google web framework.

Quote:
3. Has uninstalling those apps resolved the issue?
No. Uninstalling and firmware re-install has resolved the issue until apps are reinstalled.

Quote:
4. Have you re-installed those apps?
Only one so far - Launcher Pro. I have seen one FC since installing launcher pro, but otherwise no problems.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
grain

My Ride: 03 330Cic
Been running unit for a little over 2 months.

never seen a force close. so unsure what it looks like.

installed iGo and pandora. a few background pictures and crazy birds for a few minutes. lots of mp3s that i play with the android music player.

unit is only brought online when i need to download apps.

i dont use launcher pro, nor do i even know what that app does.
grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Dictato

My Ride: 318d
Jeff is right, force close means that the program is not responding like in windows. I suspect the hardware they have used doesn't match the software (ROM) very well. It's unimaginable that they developed the android side all themselves from ground seeing the time, knowledge and money they will need for that. I assume that they just copied 'a phone's' hardware and removed the phone functionality by removing hardware or disabling it (Maybe to avoid copyright issues?). While the ROM (T-mobile?) is created to operate in a phone and recognize every part of a phone.

The big problem we all have is that there are not many units out there, so chances that a android developers has one is very little. The only chance we had was 'Rob', but that's gone too I think.

btw. Since yesterday my unit is frozen on the android side. It's on the iGo screen and nothing works. Tried to reload the software, but still didn't help. The radio works fine. I think I need to uncouple the power-harness.
Dictato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Whiskydenstore

My Ride: E-46 Coupe m-teck
Here is my info.

1. No changes in settings other than adding my Iphone 4 to the wifi list (still dosent whant to conect to it, but no problems whit other wifi hotspots)
2. The first time i had more than 2 apps. Andinstaller 1.9, Copilot Live 8, PowerAMP and unlocker, Launcher Pro and Opera. That time did all off my added apps FC. Started whit Copilot>LauncherPro>PowerAMP>Opera (but i think all went at the same time, but that was the order i tested and did see the FC message). Used the unit whit only preinstalled apps for a day ore two befour they FC as well. Eaven the settings started FC.

Seacond time: Copilot and Poweramp whit the unlocker. I thought that maby Launcher pro was the problem so did not install that. That time i had short error message at boot and then non off my apps worked.

Third time: Same settup as the seacond time. Poweramp first then Copilot. Proboly becouse i use Poweramp all the time but allmost never Copilot as long as I'm in Oslo (know my city)

Now i only have Poweramp installed becouse i havent had use for Copilot in a while. But starting working again now so i have to install it so i can use it for work.

No, uninstalling the apps did not work.
Whiskydenstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Danoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grain View Post
unit is only brought online when i need to download apps.
This is probably an important component. Some have theorized that it's an automatic update issue.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
This is probably an important component. Some have theorized that it's an automatic update issue.
Has anyone tested if keeping the unit offline resolves the FC's?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Dictato

My Ride: 318d
Like said before FC's are the same as "not responding in windows", that means it can happen anytime online or offline. To me it has happened on the old ROM and also on this newer ROM version (17th may), while I was offline and was trying to install apk's (different ones)Maybe it it had something to do with my files, but they worked fine on my HTC desire HD.
Dictato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixjets View Post
I want to throw this in the mix. As some know, I have been dealing with the FC issue myself. I reloaded it 3 times last month. I tried a few things on the last one that seems to be working so far.

1. After I reloaded the system and 2 programs (IGO and GPS Test), I ensured the "auto update" for every installed app were turned off in the Market.
2. I opened the Accounts and sync settings and turned everything off. This included Background data, Auto-sync and any accounts under "Manage accounts".
3. I turned the Wi Fi off all together so it would not even search for service anywhere.
4. Under Location and security settings, I turned off the "Use wireless network" but left Use GPS satellites on.
So as it sits right now, the system is functioning. It gets the time update from the GPS side no problem. The IGO system is working just fine, and I always get a satellite fix.

So basically I am using it like the Win version, but do not have any of the fun online Android toys. No big deal because it is doing what I want it to. I do believe Dynavin is working this issue because this is the future. They more than likely are having their share of problems with this technology, but hopefully they will get it correct. That said, I do hope they get it correct for our systems instead of just upgrading the Android hardware in the system and supporting that.

So with this, I will say we should have known what we got into. I was getting frustrated too, but am more patient since my system is indeed working. Jeff is doing what he can, and others are too, so give it a little time. Use the system like the Win system (offline) and it should be sorted out in the future.
I wonder if that will neutralize the FC problem for everyone.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
fixjets

My Ride: 02 325Ci, 08 650i
I think this is a temporary fix if the unit is not online all the time. In my case, my system is just online at the house with my wi-fi. As of now I do not have a mobile wi-fi, so I feel that the unit tries to "update" or talk to the internet when no connection is on, hence the possible FC issues arise with an incomplete update that could corrupt files. Unlike a cell phone that has a constant connection, this might try to update stuff when a connection is made, but when it gets lost (driving away from the Wi-Fi), then all heck breaks loose. Android seems to seek this stuff out whenever the heck it feels like it.

I would ask folks to post here who bring up a mobile hot spot/Wi-Fi EVERYTIME they use the unit and see if they have these issues.
fixjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
J&T Distributing

this is a pretty decent hypothesis.....I know some people have claimed to have the issue after only a few days.....others have had months go by between issues, I know that the first FC I got was correlated to a wifi connection, I had been offline for a few weeks and connected to test out a customers phone wifi hotspot, and got the FC on my next startup. I would assume the unit was updating when I did this as it had been offline for a long time. So maybe automatic updates combined with different wifi connection behaviors could be at the root of this.....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 08-25-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
DropTopKingM3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
this is a pretty decent hypothesis.....I know some people have claimed to have the issue after only a few days.....others have had months go by between issues, I know that the first FC I got was correlated to a wifi connection, I had been offline for a few weeks and connected to test out a customers phone wifi hotspot, and got the FC on my next startup. I would assume the unit was updating when I did this as it had been offline for a long time. So maybe automatic updates combined with different wifi connection behaviors could be at the root of this.....
As I was a pioneer in the Dynavin Android game I had a force close issue early on as some of you remember. I would get a force close when I tried to connect to a network. Ive installed the latest updates as per Dynavins website and Jeffs instructions and havent had any force close issues since then. I dont have any apps except for the ones that came with the unit.

Since I cant be on a wifi network at all times Ive decided to trade units with the OP. Its a good unit but a little too technical for my taste. Since I dont have a phone with wifi and I need this phone for business reasons I have decided to trade units with Peter (Ketchup). He seems to have a lot of knowledge in the Dynavin Android area. Hopefully he can assist the Dynavin community. I just want to give a big thanks to Jeff for all of his help and the slew of questions he answered about this unit.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^

Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 08-26-2011 at 01:37 PM.
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
fixjets

DropTop, is your wi-fi up/connected at all times? This could help narrow this down. Edit: I just saw your entire post. Darn email notification...

Last edited by fixjets; 08-26-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
DropTopKingM3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixjets View Post
DropTop, is your wi-fi up/connected at all times? This could help narrow this down.
No. Only when Im home parked in my garage. When I drive around I leave the wifi off since I dont have signal anyway. Why exhaust the unit constantly trying to find wifi when it wont be able to. When I park inside Ill turn the wifi on and play with my unit there.

I noticed one time I got a force close issue prior to the update when I pulled the wifi stick/card out and plugged it back in while the unit was on. Im no pro when it comes to these units but I strongly believe certain Android users are having FC issues due to wifi activity in the unit.

When I turn the wifi on the unit in my garage it works great. All of the factory installed apps work perfectly and I havent had a FC issue ever since.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^

Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 08-26-2011 at 01:47 PM.
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
J&T Distributing

For clarification.....the FC you just noted is not the "FC issue," you just got a FC on a program because you pulled a piece of hardware out of it while it was running. This is normal, its the same as "the program is not responding" in windows.

The "FC issue" creates problems with almost ALL the apps and makes android unusable until it is restored.

I do think that your experience is another piece of evidence pointing to the issue being related to automatic updates.....(which of course is related to wifi connectivity)

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 08-26-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
fixjets

Yep, this is what mine has been doing. Everything quits.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 AM   #19
ketchup

I wanted to point out that it may take months for the FC problem to rear it's ugly head and that grain has gone 2 months plus without ever seeing a FC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskydenstore View Post
I got my unit in late May (5-25-11). Installed Copilot, PowerAMP, Opera Browser and Launcher Pro.
I have a iPhone4.

When i first tried it my wifi theathering worked fine, but after 2 days i was no longer able to conect to my phone.

Then this monday (7-11-11) everything whent wrong. I jumped in my car and bootet Android, then everything went wrong. Launcher PRO FCed, Copilot FCed and PowerAMP didnt work becouse the trial has expired (yes i have bought it).

I got the powerAmp running after a while, but every time i tried to change folders it just said that i had to pay for it and closed. I put it on random and drove on, then BAM!!! FC

When i turned over to the radio side i had static on the screen. Had to reboot some times befour it booted whitout static and I was able to conect my phone and streamed my music from Spotify to the BT.

Last edited by ketchup; 08-31-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
Danoff

I got another FC on startup the other day. It hasn't taken my system down, but it showed up on boot.

It happened as I was pulling away from my house. The unit was powering up, and wifi connected briefly to the house before falling out of range. They seemed correlated enough that I felt like I should prevent the unit from losing wifi connection immediately after turning on or from shutting the car off immediately after arriving at the house. I have since told my unit to forget my house wifi. This should prevent these short-term connections.