E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #21
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
Kind of a false statement. BMW Motorsport 4.10 ring and pinion are not made anymore but there are still places like Turner and BimmerWorld that have some in stock. There are also still a number of other companies that make a 4.10 ring and pinion for the e46 M3, I just ordered a set yesterday. Diffs Online being the most popular.

As far as weight goes you're not gonna be able to get below 3k lbs without removing everything and I mean everything. Carpet, sound deadening, audio, ect.

One thing you didn't mention was a CF trunk. I think OEM weighs 40+, you can get a good CF that weighs around 10. Like others have mentioned, exhaust is a good place to loose weight although its not the best place on the car since its at the lowest point.

Here are a few pics of my car:

This car with nothing left to remove but the AC. It has race seats, and no sunroof, it weighed in at 2,928lbs just the other day. Fully wet with a 1/2 tank of gas. I do have a heavy ass 70 lbs roll bar though.
I Have to say... That's extreme. I can't believe it can't get much lighter than that. Well I can believe that, but I just thought you could pull more weight off without going toooo extreme (as a DD). But that is a SWEEEEET looking car.

I didn't realize the trunk weighed so much, that would be a good spot to attack. That + lighter battery + lighter exhaust would make the rear eng significantly lighter. Now I would just need to attack the front and drop weight off there as well.

I definitely want to do seats, I'm thinking the Recaro Sportster CS... a bit expensive though; they weigh in at 33 lbs each. I would guess that would take off around 20-30 lbs per seat, in compared to the stock power seats.

Then I'm not sure where else from the front I can take off with out removing to many comfort items. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the fancy stereo/nav dash. Put something lighter in; or just run a small AMP (like .25 lbs) in the front, under my seat or something, that will plug into the exisiting stereo system. That way my iPod or phone can plug directly into to utilize the radio/MP3 features on there.

Other than that, I really don't know what else can come off the front. Taking weight off the rear is always easier.
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #22
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Yeah without removing the comfort things it's really hard to remove weight from the front.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
Yeah without removing the comfort things it's really hard to remove weight from the front.
This would be all around, but aftermarket: sways, coilovers, rotors should all drop some weight. But damn... that stuff get's expensive pretty quick.

I was looking in the engine bay and there really isn't much you can pull off/out to make it lighter.

For the front I've only come up with this so far:
-Headers would help
-I've relocated my windshield reservoir to the rear of the car before, in a previous car. Filled up, I'd imagine, that's a good ~10 or more lbs.
-Aluminum radiator... That could drop another ~10 lbs. Or should we stick to OEM?
-Lightweight Floating Rotors. For the front and rear, the fronts normally weight more, stock anyways.
-Stock stereo/nav for a lighter unit. Not sure how much that weighs, but I would guess 10 lbs could be dropped there.
-Sway bars. Not much, but every pound counts
-A more hardcore apporoach... the CSL air box.

Really other than all of that, I'm really not sure what else I could take off the front, without going extreme for a DD. I do plan on, eventually, trying out some track/auto-x events. When I do go, I really don't really care what class I'm in, just want to have some fun! probably just do track events, since you there are those "fun days" or whatever it's called that Willow offers.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #24
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Battery can drop probably 30.

the two front seats can easily drop 60 combined and still retain comfort. 80 or more if you go with agressive buckets.

ast 5100 shocks will drop a lot of weight due to the fact that they are made of aluminium.

You could drop 20 lbs in the wheels.

With a lot of negative camber, you can run 275/35/19 ET25 on 19x10s squared, but I don't know about 18's

One of the most effective ways to drop weight will be from loosing your interior. By keeping it all there you are lugging around A LOT of weight that doesn't have to be there.

**Now, forget what was all just said in this whole thread and buy yourself a 4.10 differential and call it a day
Seat wise, what would you recommend? Something with semi-comfort, at least.

Would 18's be a better bet, for handling? Or is that just a matter of more sidewall for comfort? I'd really like to run 275 all around, I'd imagine I would need to roll my front fenders, or not?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #25
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Anything by recaro or sparco will be lighter than oem. Do some research on their websites.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
Tarmac_E46_M3

I want those recaros, and had sparcos in my previous car; Just wasn't sure if there was a good looking LWT seat I haven't heard about in the m3 world.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
Andy2108

recaro and sparco only make a handful of types of seats. Then there are brackets to fit them into different cars.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #28
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Seat wise, what would you recommend? Something with semi-comfort, at least.

Would 18's be a better bet, for handling? Or is that just a matter of more sidewall for comfort? I'd really like to run 275 all around, I'd imagine I would need to roll my front fenders, or not?
I'm running 275's all around on non rolled fenders, but you do need camber. I'm running -3.5f/-2.0r.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #29
Tarmac_E46_M3

I love camber

I'd imagine the csl seats are ridiculously priced and probably not as light as I would think, ~30lbs...

You're running 19" right? What would the size be for 18"? 275/45?

Last edited by Tarmac_E46_M3; 08-18-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #30
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
I love camber

I'd imagine the csl seats are ridiculously priced and probably not as light as I would think, ~30lbs...
I got the Sparco Corsa's - 20.5lbs.

PM me if you are looking at anything Sparcos. One of my sponsors carries them.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
Tarmac_E46_M3

Wow those are super nice.. .and I'm digging the white. But they are kinda of expensive... I'm not looking now, as I just got the car, but I'd definitely like to get those, or something similar if the price is right.

Side note, I'm thinking of get a full vinyl for the car in flat white... whatcha think? white seats would accent it nicely... as I'm sure it does with your car.

Edit: I've read the stock seats weigh 60 lbs each? Is correct, even for the power seats?

AND I wonder how well they would work with the stock seat belts? They look very similar to the CSL seats, so maybe it would work decently well.

Last edited by Tarmac_E46_M3; 08-18-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #32
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Wow those are super nice.. .and I'm digging the white. But they are kinda of expensive... I'm not looking now, as I just got the car, but I'd definitely like to get those, or something similar if the price is right.

Side note, I'm thinking of get a full vinyl for the car in flat white... whatcha think? white seats would accent it nicely... as I'm sure it does with your car.

Edit: I've read the stock seats weigh 60 lbs each? Is correct, even for the power seats?

AND I wonder how well they would work with the stock seat belts? They look very similar to the CSL seats, so maybe it would work decently well.
I can't remember exactly but I weighed mine and I want to say they were around 64lbs each. The were full power and heated.

I think the flat white vinyl looks great, I may be selling my seats as well to upgrade to something with head restraints.

They work fine with stock seat belts, I ran mine that way for a bit. You just need this from VAC, makes it real easy.
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...kit-p2072.aspx

I actually have two damn near brand new ones sitting in the garage, along with a slider.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #33
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
I can't remember exactly but I weighed mine and I want to say they were around 64lbs each. The were full power and heated.

I think the flat white vinyl looks great, I may be selling my seats as well to upgrade to something with head restraints.

They work fine with stock seat belts, I ran mine that way for a bit. You just need this from VAC, makes it real easy.
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...kit-p2072.aspx

I actually have two damn near brand new ones sitting in the garage, along with a slider.
Nice!!!! Kind of interested now...... I'd definitely like white seats, those look good. If not, then definitely black.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #34
Tarmac_E46_M3

I'm not really sure how much a flat white vinyl would cost, but it's defnitely on the list. More focused on lightweight stuff, so I don't have to touch the engine yet... then once I drop a decent amount of weight, hopefully I have a good amount saved up for that 3.5L stroker kit
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #35
Tarmac_E46_M3

I'll probably do all "bolt-on" N/A parts first...

-SS Step Headers
-Evolve or VAC CSL type CF airbox
-Power pulleys
-4.10 or 4.45 Diff
-Dinan PnP'd throttle bodies (or private company to bore them out)
-Evolve Remote tuning

I hopeing for as much WHP as you, PerkM3.... but only on 91 oct. So we'll see! One day.
With all that I should drop a decent amount of weight, well also adding some nice powa! I'll probably do the seats during all that and maybe have someone fab up some nice rear "bucket" seats, like the CSL. I know someone that's very good at all that, so I'm going to have him take a look at and see what he can do.

Last edited by Tarmac_E46_M3; 08-19-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #36
Tarmac_E46_M3

How much do the fog lights weigh?

If I were to get a CSL bumper (I was told weighs 4 lbs less) and also minus the fog light weight.... I'm guessing that would be around 10-15 lbs dropped?

Any input?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #37
Andy2108

csl bumper wont get your brakes enough air and they'll get hot fast.

Just delete your fogs and leave the oem front bumper.

I'll be going csl->oem soonish

Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #38
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
csl bumper wont get your brakes enough air and they'll get hot fast.

Just delete your fogs and leave the oem front bumper.

I'll be going csl->oem soonish
That's too bad Are there fog light delete, type, plate/inserts? The CSL bumper would be sweet though...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #39
Tarmac_E46_M3

Definitely debating the BW 3.5 race exhaust, with resonator. Saves a ton of weight and sounds really good with the resonator. Straight pipe would be fun... but might get old fast. Then again my previous car (STI) had a muffler delete and no resonator... that was loud.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #40
Andy2108

but it also had a turbo... that cuts down alot on exhaust noise.

when I say delete your fogs, I mean just take them out.

you can get CF brake ducts for the whole fog area though

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e46-car...ucts-p694.aspx