E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #41
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
but it also had a turbo... that cuts down alot on exhaust noise.

when I say delete your fogs, I mean just take them out.

you can get CF brake ducts for the whole fog area though

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e46-car...ucts-p694.aspx
True, but the M has 2 more cylinders, lol. I think if I get the exhaust I'll get the whole "package"; meaning straight pipe and resonator.

I like those brake ducts, i might have to do that, one day.

Thanks for the info thus far!
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #42
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
csl bumper wont get your brakes enough air and they'll get hot fast.

Just delete your fogs and leave the oem front bumper.

I'll be going csl->oem soonish
+1, for a street/light track duty car you would be fine but once you get passed that you will need the extra air.

Quote:

I have those, they are nice.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #43
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Here's my weight changes to date. I'm attempting to get it as light as possible without giving up civility.

I'm going to pull the fire extinguisher next spring if I don't have any electrical fires. I just did a bunch of rewiring (and wire removal for weight loss), so I want to make sure nothing goes sound from that, but after that it's coming out.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #44
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Here's my weight changes to date. I'm attempting to get it as light as possible without giving up civility.

I'm going to pull the fire extinguisher next spring if I don't have any electrical fires. I just did a bunch of rewiring (and wire removal for weight loss), so I want to make sure nothing goes sound from that, but after that it's coming out.

I spent like 1 hour looking for your spread this weekend. Thanks for posting, I think this is what the OP is looking for.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #45
Tarmac_E46_M3

That's awesome, thanks.

Some good stuff there to base off of. Sunroof drops 40 lbs from what ive read, correct?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #46
Tarmac_E46_M3

Here's the thread!
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #47
Tarmac_E46_M3

The weight my car has lost so far:
Front and left door insulation- 8 lbs
Rear seat insulation- 13 lbs
Navigation Brackets w/storage bin- 3.6 lbs
Rear seatbelts and restraint system- 8.2 lbs
Arm rest mount- 1.4 lbs
Arm rest- 1.8 lbs
center console- 3 lbs
Front door airbags (2) w/ bolts- 2.8 lbs
Front door speakers (both)- 3.4 lbs
Driver seat- 65.8 lbs
Passenger seat- 65.8 lbs
Left door card- 10.2 lbs
Right door card- 10.2 lbs
Left rear seat backing- 25 lbs
Right rear seat backing- 11.4 lbs
Rear seat bench- 12 lbs
Rear seat quarter panels- 4.2 lbs
Left rear door card- 4.6 lbs
Right rear door card- 4.6 lbs
Rear floor mats- 1.4 lbs
trunk mat/ carpet/ rectangle insulation- 10.4 lbs

Total weight dropped: -270.8 lbs

Added weight:
Full Sparco EVO seat +34 lbs

So total loss is at 236.8 lbs. With the second seat in it will be at 202.8 lbs. I still have to take all the tar out and pull a bit more insulation... we'll see where I'm at after that. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of next week.
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #48
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Nice..eventually after college when I start tracking more Ill get to that point. I plan on keeping the M until it serves its purpose no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #49
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

What exactly is behind the blacked out area?

Anyone ever considered a CF dash? There is one on ebay, caliming to weight 2.5 lbs. Apparently stock weighs around 60 lbs; Cost is $1400 I believe. If my math is correct... lbs to dollars that is the best spend weight reduction, even if it only saves 45-50 lbs.

That would be awesome for a track car, like PerkM3. Street car might be tricky- look cool- but will probably need some fabing to keep your vents, stereo, a/c controls and vents... and a few other things.

Maybe it's a far reach... but I think it would be very neat, if it worked out right; it also drops weight from an area that is hard to... the front.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #50
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post

Anyone ever considered a CF dash? There is one on ebay, caliming to weight 2.5 lbs. Apparently stock weighs around 60 lbs; Cost is $1400 I believe. If my math is correct... lbs to dollars that is the best spend weight reduction, even if it only saves 45-50 lbs.

That would be awesome for a track car, like PerkM3. Street car might be tricky- look cool- but will probably need some fabing to keep your vents, stereo, a/c controls and vents... and a few other things.

Maybe it's a far reach... but I think it would be very neat, if it worked out right; it also drops weight from an area that is hard to... the front.
I've thought about it but at this point there were better places to spend the money. The oem dash is heavy as hell though, and it's a good place to loose weight since it's high and up front.

I will go this route eventually but you/I will benefit more from spending 3-5k on a DA suspension then we will with $1,400 in weight reduction.

The only reason I've spent money on weight reduction is because I had to in order to either increase power or increase the safety of my car. All the other weight reduction is free, unless you have the money the free stuff is what you should remove first.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #51
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
I've thought about it but at this point there were better places to spend the money. The oem dash is heavy as hell though, and it's a good place to loose weight since it's high and up front.

I will go this route eventually but you/I will benefit more from spending 3-5k on a DA suspension then we will with $1,400 in weight reduction.

The only reason I've spent money on weight reduction is because I had to in order to either increase power or increase the safety of my car. All the other weight reduction is free, unless you have the money the free stuff is what you should remove first.
You're right.

I do want to do the free stuff first. Definitely liking the free part! But I might invest in a trunk, maybe even the GTR hood. It's sexy!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #52
Tarmac_E46_M3

Definitely got the trunk and hood... Dropped 29 one total.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer

Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #53
Alias206

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
I believe Dinan still sells 4.10s
Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #54
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
guys you all are forgetting these things

Quote:

back in the 60'ies guys use to take off the fenders and put on fibreglass ones save alot of weight also take out the glass windows put in plastic ones you can save alot of weight their but i dont know how costly those things can be....don't forget glass weights alot compare to the plastic glass
bob
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #55
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm3 View Post
back in the 60'ies guys use to take off the fenders and put on fibreglass ones save alot of weight also take out the glass windows put in plastic ones you can save alot of weight their but i dont know how costly those things can be....don't forget glass weights alot compare to the plastic glass
bob
Lexan would be neat to have, as side windows (front and rear). Only issue is, how long would they last and could I (or other people) still put their front windows up and down still, when formed to the shape of the stock. Will it cause wear?

I'd be down for it, if it was reliable, like at least 5 years... preferably up to 10 years.

I'd think it would drop a good 20-30 lbs... maybe more.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #56
Martin_BG

My Ride: E46(!!!)
Quote:
4.10... Where do I find that?!
http://diffsonline.com/product/customdiff3.shtml there you go
Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #57
screamer-beemer531

My Ride: BMW M3 E46 6spd PY
You can go really extreme on the seats with the HPF 6 lb seat, I don't know how comfortable it is, you can look it up as people have bought them but I do know it's bulletproof, literally They don't look very comfortable but that's as light as a seat can get.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...d_Kevlar/17594

Last edited by screamer-beemer531; 11-05-2011 at 10:13 AM.
screamer-beemer531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #58
Tarmac_E46_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer-beemer531 View Post
You can go really extreme on the seats with the HPF 6 lb seat, I don't know how comfortable it is, you can look it up as people have bought them but I do know it's bulletproof, literally They don't look very comfortable but that's as light as a seat can get.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...d_Kevlar/17594
Seen those... Definitely don't look comfortable. Lol.

That's why I went with the seats I have now. At 10.2 lbs each!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer

Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #59
Tarmac_E46_M3

Well, as my sig says, I'm now down to about 3070 lbs.

Stock engine (other than pulleys) and stock exhaust. So there is some weight to be had there, once I get around to doing that. I ordered the SS V1 headers, they should be here very soon; just not sure when I'll actually be able to install it.

Right now I just plan on getting tires for my wheels (ARC-8's, 18x9.5) and finding coilovers (used or new) to istall when I mount the wheels. I believe the wheels will drop about 30 lbs; comparing the ARC-8s weight to the stock 19" wheels. I have a CF driveshaft en route as well, that should be another 10 lbs off (according to Obioban ns spread sheet). Now, I would like to run 275 square, but I just don't think -3 degrees camber on a DD is a good idea... So I'm thinking 265 is my best bet. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Piliot Super Sports. Any recommendations?

If I'm close to what the next 2 parts will drop, that will put me around 3040 lbs with vac ultra light pulleys, cf driveshaft and Evolve's stage 1 tune. I will also do the foglight delete, read only 2 lbs... but every lb counts! Then maybe find any wires, or really, anything that is literally of no use off/out. I'm sure the fog lights will leave a few wires behind, not much weight, but again it will all add up. I'll be removing the headlight washer things, along with whatever wiring and tubes are on the car, that are not in use. So, Basically the car will be 400 lbs lighter than the standard M3 SMG model (with sunroof); not too bad, I'd say.

After those 2 things... I have to go on a break, lol. Focus on life a bit then start up again mid next year. Once I start again, plan is to get floating rotors (15 lbs off, maybe?) or maybe a good but inexpensive brake kit so I can not only have better braking but lighter calipers too ; get a CF roof (read 15 lbs off); and I've been debating cf front fenders, I'm not really sure how much those actually drop. Those 2 things alone will be quite exspenive, but functional and very cool looking Assuming my guess are right, I should be right around 3010 lbs ( maybe 3005 lbs? with cf fenders?).

Probably take a break for a bit again, make sure all the maintence is good, replace anything that needs to be replaced; and by then I should have basically done any and all free lightweight mods possible. At that point I'll be starting the intall of the airbox, headers, custom exhaust and 288/280 cams. Probably good for another 60 lbs off the car, so that should put the car right around 2950 lbs, full tank.

My guess is by that time, I'll be pushing a good 330 WHP (hopefully more, especially with the cams). If that power is close to what it will be, I'll be sitting at a comfortable 8.94 lbs/HP. In comparision, that's like the stock weight E46 M3 (3415 lbs) having 381 WHP.

I'm bored... which is why I broke it down this much, haha...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #60
lennon31987

My Ride: imolarot II M
Send a message via AIM to lennon31987
Quote:

The dash does not weight 60lbs, maybe 10lbs

ILLm3 hates me cause im GGGOOODLOOKIIINN

seeking detailing perfection?

Last edited by lennon31987; 12-09-2011 at 11:36 AM.
lennon31987 is offline   Reply With Quote