E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Jesse42

My Ride: E46 M3
Interior door moulding falling off

I apologize if this has been covered before. I searched the site, but was unable to find anything.

I have a 2004 M3. The interior moulding that surrounds the window frame on my car has started to droop and fall off. It looks like the rubber/plastic has just started to break down as both the driver and passenger sides are falling off. The tear extends on hot days.

I tried to fix it with trim adhesive, but that only held for a couple days.

Here is a picture. Can anyone provide some guidance on the best way to reattach it?

Thank you,
- Jesse

Jesse42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Infinity99

My Ride: 328Ci
I had the same problem on my car. The best thing that has worked for me so far is this double sided 3M tape (used to hold moldings on outsides of cars). You should be able to get it at good automotive stores. The tape is like a thin strip of foam with adhesive on both sides.

Don't use gorilla glue, it expands and then loses its hold after a year or so.

Hope that helps.
Infinity99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
DriveFaster

My Ride: Imme Drei
Had the same problem.

I'm not sure if we're referring to the same adhesive, but I used this: http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Adhesive.html

The trick though is that, once you apply the adhesive, fasten it in place with strips of painter's tape along the length of the door. The tape puts a nice firm pressure on the adhesive and allows it to set properly. I left the tape there for six hours and it has held ever since (taped last November).

Good luck!

'03 M3
DriveFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
This a common problem thats been covered many times on the forum. Some people have used gorilla glue with good results. Others have chosen to rip the trim out completely.

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Jesse42

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up some of the 3M tape today and the initial results are much better than the 3M spray adhesive I tried previously.

- Jesse
Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
cocaine2000

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3
moulding Trim Falling off

I have the same year and I have the same problem .
Used many glues and held it with tape on top. Came out after some time.
Jesse which of these did you use?
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...Tape/ES244323/
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...Tape/ES127507/

Or if its something different..
cocaine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
Soltint

My Ride: M3
When I first bought my M3 coupe the door aperture rubber was doing the same (felt dropping away from rubber seal) so I used a product called "Sikaflex" but basically it's windscreen sealer. It worked a treat and is still stuck fast. If you need anymore info regarding application ect please ask.
Soltint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Jesse42

I am not sure if it is exactly the same item, but what I use looked very similar to this one:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...Tape/ES244323/

It was about 1/2" wide and had the same red backing on it. It was just the right width to fit in the channel of the drooping rubber piece.

Here is a link to the product I used.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotc.../dp/B002JOVUO0

- Jesse
Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Soltint

My Ride: M3
I found by using "Sikaflex" (windscreen/windshield glue) you could put a nice sensible bead of sealer/glue (approx 1/4"-1/2" high) along the rubber then gently pat the felt strip back into position and it will stay in place straight away. It's stayed put ever since. If you happen to have any excess coming out if you spray some soapy water over the glue that may of oozed out then you can gently and easily remove the excess with a plastic card/blade/scraper without it sticking and spreading anywhere else. "Daz"
Soltint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
///M3 Wizard

My Ride: 2002 M3
3M Black... HANDS DOWN! I used it on my car that did the exact same thing. Using on a warm day will help the curing. You don't need much of a bead for it to be effective either. After applying the adhesive I used painters tape about every 3in to secure the molding. I personally left the tape on for 3-4 hours and it is like new.

I don't recommend using 2 sided tape. Moisture can have a negative impact on the adhesion. The 3M Black weatherstrip adhesive is inexpensive and also creates a water tight seal. Any national chain auto store will carry it.

Last edited by ///M3 Wizard; 08-21-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: 2 sided tape comment
///M3 Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Topaz 330ci 2001

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3 Wizard View Post
3M Black... HANDS DOWN! I used it on my car that did the exact same thing. Using on a warm day will help the curing. You don't need much of a bead for it to be effective either. After applying the adhesive I used painters tape about every 3in to secure the molding. I personally left the tape on for 3-4 hours and it is like new.

I don't recommend using 2 sided tape. Moisture can have a negative impact on the adhesion. The 3M Black weatherstrip adhesive is inexpensive and also creates a water tight seal. Any national chain auto store will carry it.
+1
I just did it to mine using the same. It seems to be holding great so far!

Tip:
The adhesive doesn't stick right away (and it seems to continue to come out of that bottle forever) so I suggest having a friend tape up the liner while you are gluing.
So that way it won't droop down with fresh glue on it.
Topaz 330ci 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Jesse42

The double sided tape I used lasted for ~6 months and then came loose. I pulled out the tape and used Permatex Ultra. That has held extremely well.

- Jesse
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I just ripped mine out. It literally serves no purpose other than aesthetic, my passenger door (missing trim) seals exactly the same as my drivers.