E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
work_lol

My Ride: car
Anyone here an acct or CPA?

My mom just got an audit letter saying they are trying to determine her head of household filing. I have no idea what this is. She always has a cpa office do her taxes and we have no clue why there is this audit letter coming. Can someone shed some light about what this "head of household" letter means? What did her cpa do wrong?
work_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Call the CPA immediately. They may have made an error on the return on accident which caused the IRS to investigate. They only audit about two percent of returns so unless she has huge income swings or something material changes she should have been left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
work_lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFerret View Post
Call the CPA immediately. They may have made an error on the return on accident which caused the IRS to investigate. They only audit about two percent of returns so unless she has huge income swings or something material changes she should have been left alone.
Her income has been around the same every year and she doesn't even make that much..only 2% get audited? Wow, I'll have her call the cpa tomm and see why this is..thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
No problem. Yeah they only do 2% but think about how just that amount is millions of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
I'm a CPA in CA. The audit letter has nothing to do with income. It has to do with the requirements required to file for head of household. Filing for head of household puts you into a lower tax brackets...between the single and married tax brackets. She will have to explain in the letter why she qualifies for filing head of household. Did she make that determination or did her CPA do that? If the CPA did, have her go back to the CPA and have them write the letter of explanation.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
todd@tmrtuning
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I'm a CPA in CA. The audit letter has nothing to do with income. It has to do with the requirements required to file for head of household. Filing for head of household puts you into a lower tax brackets...between the single and married tax brackets. She will have to explain in the letter why she qualifies for filing head of household. Did she make that determination or did her CPA do that? If the CPA did, have her go back to the CPA and have them write the letter of explanation.
Me too.
What the problem can be is the dependant if he/or she is being claimed by someone else beside your mother. Denying her to be the head of household if she has one dependant.
todd@tmrtuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
work_lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
She already filled out the form and turned it in. My brother and sister both meet the requirements from what I read on the letter we got. My mom is a single mother and supports both of them so I don't know why she got the letter. Anyways, we tried to let her CPA see it, but he just suffered a stroke. He told her to just fill it out and turn it in, so we'll see.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
how can a woman be head of household?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
work_lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
how can a woman be head of household?
widowed single mother?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
todd@tmrtuning
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by work_lol View Post
widowed single mother?
A women Can be a head of household IF
She has someone to claim either it be divorced , single or even widow.But if she is widowed I believe for the first two years she has to file as a QUALIFYING WIDOWER. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
work_lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd@tmrtuning View Post
A women Can be a head of household IF
She has someone to claim either it be divorced , single or even widow.But if she is widowed I believe for the first two years she has to file as a QUALIFYING WIDOWER. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
thanks bro, but we already turned in the papers to the state tax board and just waiting for their response. Is there anything else we can do if they come back saying we owe more money?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
todd@tmrtuning
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by work_lol View Post
thanks bro, but we already turned in the papers to the state tax board and just waiting for their response. Is there anything else we can do if they come back saying we owe more money?
Anytime man. Depends on the reason. Just let me know and I will try my best to help .
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
updates?
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
work_lol

We got a letter last week saying everything was ok..hehe