E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
dkrab

My Ride: 2000 323i
RPM Fluctuation at 25mph

I've searched and searched, and haven't found an answer to this anywhere: When driving steady speed about 25 mph, the rpm will oscillate up and down about 200 or so rpm, and when it dips down, I hear a brief deep rumble. The oscillation frequency is about one cycle every 1.5 seconds or so. The RPM will oscillate between about 2200 and 2000 or so. If I move the auto shifter to sport mode, it downshifts, moving the RPM higher and eliminating the oscillation. If I tip into the throttle with the trans still in regular automatic mode, it accelerates smoothly, no fluctuation. Only when I am going a steady speed of 25 mph, with the auto trans in regular mode, does this happen. It's disconcerting, and I want to get it fixed. It's been doing it for a long while. I replaced the MAF, and both upstream O2 sensors. No codes. Any ideas?
dkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
dkrab

I suppose no one has any suggestions. A bit more info on what's been replaced already:

New MAF
New O2 sensors (upstream)
Vanos kit installed
one new camshaft sensor (intake side)
new rubber intake boot
new CCV system
new valve cover gasket
new water pump and thermostat, new coolant jug (can't see how this would affect the issue at hand, though)
trans fluid changed every 60K and was done 30K ago, never had shifting problems, ZF automatic transmission
spark plugs changed about 60K ago, with correct NGK plugs. When old plugs were romoved at 90K they still looked pretty good.

Total miles on car is 150,000
Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Mine does this too I've noticed. Almost like its changing gears back and forth or something.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
I'm not a BMW automatic transmission expert, but based on my previous experiences with other autos, this is pretty normal.

An auto has a torque converter that is not fully locked all the time. Assuming that is what is happening, this is fine. However, it is possible that your torque converter or transmission have started slipping ever so slightly. Similiar to when a manual transmission has a slipping clutch.

I wouldnt worry about it unless it starts slipping on acceleration, shifting strangely, or feels like excessive drag(tc not engaging) while accelerating.

You could go ahead and have it flushed just to see if that helps.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
FastHackem

Yeah I was thinking torque converter too. Doesnt bother me too much cause it only happens at 35mph and below really.

2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
dkrab

Mine does not feel like it's trying to change gears, it's just a rhythmic oscillation of RPM up and down slightly. If you pay attention you can feel it in mild pulses of acceleration, as if the driver is doing it with the accelerator pedal. I hope it's not the torque converter. Is there any way to check it?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
DerRoteBaron

My Ride: 2004 325i
It sounds like you have excess slippage in your transmission. Is your car high mileage?
DerRoteBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
dkrab

150K would qualify as high mileage. It only does it when I am going about 25mph, steady speed. Tip in or let off the gas, and it stops. I surely hope it's not transmission related. I have had the fluid changed every 60K, and it's only 30K through this change, but I could do an early change to see what happens. But that LTwhatever fluid for the ZF is expensive, and I am reluctant to change to a different fluid such as Redline because you can't get all the old stuff out and I don't want to mix them.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
DerRoteBaron

My Ride: 2004 325i
One thing you can do is pull out your dipstick and check 2 things out about the fluid. One note the color, see if it is still somewhat red, or if it is turning brown. Also, check the smell of the fluid. Does it smell like burning?? If it smells like burning, its a good indication of slippage.
DerRoteBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
FastHackem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerRoteBaron View Post
One thing you can do is pull out your dipstick and check 2 things out about the fluid. One note the color, see if it is still somewhat red, or if it is turning brown. Also, check the smell of the fluid. Does it smell like burning?? If it smells like burning, its a good indication of slippage.
There is no dipstick for the transmission. Only your finger.

2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...740&highlight=

Read^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
DUMB YOUR MOM.
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
dkrab

Nightmare, it looks like you're tracking down a driveline vibration. I have had my car up to 110 mph recently (last week) and it's smooth as butter. Would that eliminate the flexjoint/guibo, ujoint, etc. as a possible cause? The RPM only fluctuates at a steady speed of about 25mph, not under acceleration. I would like to find the highest probability cause first, and go from there. But I'm running out of high probability causes!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrab View Post
I've searched and searched, and haven't found an answer to this anywhere: When driving steady speed about 25 mph, the rpm will oscillate up and down about 200 or so rpm, and when it dips down, I hear a brief deep rumble. The oscillation frequency is about one cycle every 1.5 seconds or so. The RPM will oscillate between about 2200 and 2000 or so. If I move the auto shifter to sport mode, it downshifts, moving the RPM higher and eliminating the oscillation. If I tip into the throttle with the trans still in regular automatic mode, it accelerates smoothly, no fluctuation. Only when I am going a steady speed of 25 mph, with the auto trans in regular mode, does this happen. It's disconcerting, and I want to get it fixed. It's been doing it for a long while. I replaced the MAF, and both upstream O2 sensors. No codes. Any ideas?
Read this->

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=459899
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
always-there

And then read about it's function -->

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358045491.148069.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	485806
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
always-there

Replace em'.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
dkrab

I get no Pcode. It's been doing this for a few years now, but it does get worse on long trips. Any way to check these before replacing them? Looks like both sensors will cost about 120 bucks. I will be doing a trans fluid change soon, so it would be a perfect time to change them, but if I could be more certain before dropping even more money into it, that would be great. I am not keen on throwing parts at it if I can help it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #17
always-there

$120's a lot cheaper than several hundred replacing the burned clutches/stuck valves on valve body, or the torque converter.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
dkrab

No doubt about that. But, I am not sure these sensors are actually bad, especially considering it has thrown no codes. This would be an exercise in replacing parts to see what happens. Not that I haven't done that before, but I would like to nail it down better if I can. But if I can't, I'll replace them with the next fluid change (within a month).
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
ryanwalexander

My Ride: 2002 325i
I have the exact same symptoms it sounds like. Started a few months ago but I've been just hoping it would go away.

RPM fluctuation like the torque converter seems to want to be locking up, then it drops the RPMs too low and then slips again. Happens probably every 3 seconds or so when I'm at steady speed. Under acceleration or under no power it doesn't occur. There is also a low pitch hum from the transmission that seems to be associated and occurs more when the transmission is loaded. (when it's highly loaded, I feel like it's probably still occurring, but the engine drowns out the sound.)

Happens around 45-70 km/h (30-45 mph.)

There aren't any symptoms until the car is at operating temperature (both no hum and no RPM fluctuation.)

Transmission has original fluid in it, so I've been wondering if maybe some of it has leaked out and it's running low even though I don't see leaks underneath.

There's also this weird loud buzzing sound that happens when the car starts up when it's less than 5C (40F) outside.

Any new info here? I'm hoping I don't need a new transmission since I just went back to school and don't have a lot of cash.

2002 325i. Car has 273k km on it (170k miles).

Last edited by ryanwalexander; 02-18-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: clarification
ryanwalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
dkrab

Well, mine would do it regardless even before it was fully warmed up. I heard no buzzing sound at very cold startup. I have changed the trans fluid every 60K miles. Oddly enough, it hasn't done it at all since I changed the big rearmost differential bushing, which was severely worn out. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it's been perfect ever since (about a month). By the way, my car has the ZF transmission.