E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
CF affiliate update...

So leaning heavily on dropping affiliation. Why? 3000 per year, not really CrossFitty in my methods, and I feel sometimes the affiliation hurts business. I want to do my own thing.

With that said, I will need a name change. I want it to flow and not intimidate others

I want to gear my business more towards the serious person, even if it means less members. But, I also want to get the overweight people that are seriously into changing their lives.

So...

Newburgh Strength and Conditioning?
Newburgh Athletics
Newburgh Fitness and Performance (my top choice)

And one a member here mentioned a while back

Stronger U (maybe add the fitness and performance to that)?

Any ideas are welcomed.

And just need to say this

Babynoraa was right. I sold out. Cf literally does nothing for affiliates. It's just a brand. A brand I don't really follow.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-28-2015 at 12:45 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Sexy solly's strength and conditioning

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I think dropping the name will kill your visibility, personally. How is the other local CF affiliate doing?

“I wanted [Jimmy] Carter in and I wanted [Ford] out,” comedian Chevy Chase would later admit of his mocking Ford impersonation on "Saturday Night Live", “and I figured look, we're reaching millions of people every weekend, why not do it."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I think dropping the name will kill your visibility, personally. How is the other local CF affiliate doing?
200+ members.

It will kill visibility but having the name hasn't done anything for my business. It's gotten a few people in the door and no one stayed more than a month. All my actual members are word of mouth.

It is possible to double brand myself.

Newburgh Fitness and Performance while holding the CF affiliation. Try for 1 more year and see how it works out.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
We're considering dropping the affiliation as well much because of the same reasons you listed. Luckily for us, we wouldn't really need to change our name.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
We're considering dropping the affiliation as well much because of the same reasons you listed. Luckily for us, we wouldn't really need to change our name.
any input on names.

I literally go back and forth whether to re up or not. I can't decide if it's detrimental or not. My members couldn't give a crap if I was mikes cool garage gym though.

3k is also a lot of money. Some other affiliates tell me to keep it but these are ones with 100+ members. It's equivalent to them spending 30k for it. I think they'd drop too.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
If you aren't following CF methodology (if that makes sense) and you aren't getting members by attracting and keeping those with CF desires, then change the name and no harm done, especially if you are mainly getting word of mouth referrals.

If you have a website, are you still able to mention CF as a training type? For instance, these MMA gyms list all kinds of martial arts infused to the way they train, so by the same token you might still get a few hits for those looking to do crossfit if you can keep it on your website without any ramifications. Just a thought.

Newburgh Fitness and Performance & Newburgh Strength and Conditioning both sound good. I don't really care for the other two.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
^^Nope, although he can still mention how he is CF certified and go off of that.

I like Newburgh Fitness and Performance. Newburgh Strength and Conditioning I like as well, but that my shy potential members away.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
If you aren't following CF methodology (if that makes sense) and you aren't getting members by attracting and keeping those with CF desires, then change the name and no harm done, especially if you are mainly getting word of mouth referrals.

If you have a website, are you still able to mention CF as a training type? For instance, these MMA gyms list all kinds of martial arts infused to the way they train, so by the same token you might still get a few hits for those looking to do crossfit if you can keep it on your website without any ramifications. Just a thought.

Newburgh Fitness and Performance & Newburgh Strength and Conditioning both sound good. I don't really care for the other two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
^^Nope, although he can still mention how he is CF certified and go off of that.

I like Newburgh Fitness and Performance. Newburgh Strength and Conditioning I like as well, but that my shy potential members away.
Right. I can mention I am a CF trainer but I have to word it a certain way. I am leaning heavily towards newburgh fitness and performance. Covers both bases. Fitness for the gen pop and performance for the more serious athletes. From what I hear, CF scares the sh1t out of a lot of high school athletic programs.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-29-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
I like Newburgh Fitness and Performance as well. Go with it!

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I like Newburgh Fitness and Performance as well. Go with it!
good news. Got a 2month extension on my affiliate dues. So I can transition nicely before I have to drop the name. Or maybe these next two months will be good for growth and I can re up then.

But yea Sean. That's what I'm leaning towards. Sounds good, and says exactly what I am.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
If you don't actually use the CF training program or push for people to do it, the sooner you sever ties with that name the better. you want to build with a brand. if you build with the CF name and then change later it will be a bigger mess than making the transition now.

with your focus on transforming people who aren't currently in shape your name should be something that will attract that crowd, unless you are wanting to attract people who think they are already in shape and wanting to improve or do something new. the name can be intimidating for beginners, so keep that in mind. don't want them thinking it is a meathead gym.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
I think if the other place is rocking 200+ members under the CF banner then I have doubts that it's CF methodology scaring people away. The other affiliate is proving to you that the CF brand is working in your area.

What I may look at is why people are leaving at the 1 month mark.
Or even why your leads aren't converting.

People love CF because of the community.

I've taken a look at your CF facebook page. Going back about a month I don't see any of your facebook status updates highlighting any members. Do you take photos of people doing the WODS in your gym and tagging them so they can show their friends? The best thing about CrossFIt is showing your friends you doing CrossFit.

You're talking at people on your facebook posts. Do you try and engage your community? Asking questions? Example - "Hypothetically saying... what would you rather do? 150 burpees or 150 wallballs? This may or may not ever show up in a wod "

When people don't show up do you call them? Or better yet do members in your gym post on the absent members facebook page saying "hey we miss you here! are you lost?"

Have you brought in a local expert on say paleo eating? or olympic lifting? maybe even power lifting to do a half day seminar?

Every issue you're experiencing I've seen happen here at my gym. We lose members when we neglect our community. I see an increase in members when we highlight our community.

You've got 25 great reviews on facebook. I don't see any of them on your webpage though. I would highlight an athlete of your gym once a month and splash them on your front page showing how awesome they are and have them write awesome things about your gym.

There's no pics of any or your members in the blog posts listing the wods.
Your web presence is totally barren. For the hardcore athlete they won't care. They know you know you're ****. What about the average person though? Place yourselves in their shoes and say... "From what my facebook/webpage shows, can I see myself training here? Does it look inviting for an overweight person looking to get into shape"

To me a garage gym cannot compete with all the cool amenities of a larger box. However a smaller gym like yours should blow away the larger boxes in personal attention it shows it's members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
200+ members.

It will kill visibility but having the name hasn't done anything for my business. It's gotten a few people in the door and no one stayed more than a month. All my actual members are word of mouth.

It is possible to double brand myself.

Newburgh Fitness and Performance while holding the CF affiliation. Try for 1 more year and see how it works out.

Last edited by fugarza; 01-29-2015 at 12:01 PM.
fugarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Update... I just went back a few months on your facebook page and saw the updates. Those look great. A lot of those videos you have I would post them up on your website. Normal people want to see other normal people working out. You put beasts on your main page and it scares people away.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
Update... I just went back a few months on your facebook page and saw the updates. Those look great. A lot of those videos you have I would post them up on your website. Normal people want to see other normal people working out. You put beasts on your main page and it scares people away.
you're absolutely right. I want to build that community. My buddy and I are going to be working on the site soon and getting more pics of the members up. I am not happy with my site.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
I'd drop the name. I still believe "crossfit" is just a fad... Sure it's been around a while, but even over the past year or 2 it's fallen off in popularity. Crossfit is here to stay don't get me wrong. I'm strictly talking about its popularity among the average person.

Anything with "strength&conditioning" works. But you better be strong and conditioned to really break into that scene. Or specialize in something that others don't to get the athletes in there.

I've seen 100 gyms come and go. Unfortunately, the gyms that usually don't last are the best gyms. The hardcore gyms. It's the gyms that sell out, cater towards middle aged soccer moms that stick around and make money.

I train at a top ranked mma gym in the northeast. Up until a few years ago we were ranked #1 for 6yrs in a row. We have talent, we have great instructors/coaches. But we are hardcore. So we have very few members. There's another "mma" gym around the corner. It has quadruple the members. Tons of business/money coming in. But they suck. Our worst guy would be their best. It's all about marketing towards the average person.
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #17
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
I'd drop the name. I still believe "crossfit" is just a fad... Sure it's been around a while, but even over the past year or 2 it's fallen off in popularity. Crossfit is here to stay don't get me wrong. I'm strictly talking about its popularity among the average person.

Anything with "strength&conditioning" works. But you better be strong and conditioned to really break into that scene. Or specialize in something that others don't to get the athletes in there.

I've seen 100 gyms come and go. Unfortunately, the gyms that usually don't last are the best gyms. The hardcore gyms. It's the gyms that sell out, cater towards middle aged soccer moms that stick around and make money.

I train at a top ranked mma gym in the northeast. Up until a few years ago we were ranked #1 for 6yrs in a row. We have talent, we have great instructors/coaches. But we are hardcore. So we have very few members. There's another "mma" gym around the corner. It has quadruple the members. Tons of business/money coming in. But they suck. Our worst guy would be their best. It's all about marketing towards the average person.
You're right man. I believe I am better than most gyms in terms of what kind of results you will get. I just know that screaming for pr's and grunting isn't going to sell soccer moms. But I don't want to sell out. I hate how lazy the gen pop is and don't even want to waste my time with that crowd half the time.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #18
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
The good thing about doing it on the side and in your garage (at least for now) is that you can stay the course and keep doing what you want to do without fear that you won't be able to cover your expenses the next month. If you had a big space to rent or a loan to pay, or if this were your only source of income, I could see how it would be easier to migrate toward programs which would draw more members.

Hopefully the business keeps growing - it is awesome that you took a chance on doing this and are enjoying it!

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #19
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
200+ members, ugh...they're killing it.

I like Newburgh Fitness and Performance, seems more "big tent" than S&C.

I love how if you do crossfit it's cool to flex, take pictures and post videos. If I did it, all my friends (even the crossfit ones) would call me a guido tool. Amazing double-standard.

“I wanted [Jimmy] Carter in and I wanted [Ford] out,” comedian Chevy Chase would later admit of his mocking Ford impersonation on "Saturday Night Live", “and I figured look, we're reaching millions of people every weekend, why not do it."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
200+ members, ugh...they're killing it.

I like Newburgh Fitness and Performance, seems more "big tent" than S&C.

I love how if you do crossfit it's cool to flex, take pictures and post videos. If I did it, all my friends (even the crossfit ones) would call me a guido tool. Amazing double-standard.
It is pretty funny.

And yea man they got in at the right time. 3 years ago.