E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Cool stuff happening...

Ok so as you guys know I'm done with CF. I'm moving over to Stronger U Fitness & Performance and still running the little gym 2hours a day. But I spend a lot of time online and was thinking about how to capitalize a bit. I was talking to my guy Trevor, and he mentioned to stop giving things for free. No one will ever transition from free to paying even if they get the best results. So I've been thinking about how I can get people to pay me for advice. I am just upfront with people now.

I have 2 online clients doing their nutrition, 1 is going to also going to do 1 personal training session per week at $40. 1 of these is another local gym owner, like me, not CF affiliated but has 75 members. After meeting up with her and going over nutrition she wants me to do a talk with her members. So I was thinking of whatever the cost is for the seminar I will deduct off their plan if they sign on with me.

so anyway, I'm super excited but need some help.

I have a million thoughts in my head but I need to get them organized.

During the talk I want to cover as much as I can. What is pro, carb, fat. Why are they important. Common sources, what matters in terms of dieting, common myths, question and answer etc. Any other ideas you'd want to see?
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
When doing the "what" of protein/carb/fat, I think a solid focus would be explaining "whole" or "better" sources of each (animal protein vs. gluten / sugar vs. starch / omega 6 vs. omega 3) etc. Bio availability is important, especially for protein imo.

Some version of the pyramid we discuss frequently with regards to calories/macros/supplements/vitamins importance to overall health.

How to determine your individual carbohydrate needs, why carb intake is needed / good if you are weight training / exercising, why it is bad if you aren't.

Explain why your body needs fats and some healthy sources. Hammer home saturated fats aren't evil.

Maybe demonstrate myfitnesspal and how to track (showing how easy it is with a little structure).

Explain 4/4/9 for macro calories

Demonstrate how to calculate their own nutritional needs.

I think if you show you are an expert and understand how to setup nutritional plans by explaining it / attempting to teach them you will get a lot of clients from the large pool who still doesn't understand but sees the value.

I do the same thing with personal taxes and get tons of clients.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
When doing the "what" of protein/carb/fat, I think a solid focus would be explaining "whole" or "better" sources of each (animal protein vs. gluten / sugar vs. starch / omega 6 vs. omega 3) etc. Bio availability is important, especially for protein imo.

Some version of the pyramid we discuss frequently with regards to calories/macros/supplements/vitamins importance to overall health.

How to determine your individual carbohydrate needs, why carb intake is needed / good if you are weight training / exercising, why it is bad if you aren't.

Explain why your body needs fats and some healthy sources. Hammer home saturated fats aren't evil.

Maybe demonstrate myfitnesspal and how to track (showing how easy it is with a little structure).

Explain 4/4/9 for macro calories

Demonstrate how to calculate their own nutritional needs.

I think if you show you are an expert and understand how to setup nutritional plans by explaining it / attempting to teach them you will get a lot of clients from the large pool who still doesn't understand but sees the value.

I do the same thing with personal taxes and get tons of clients.
this is perfect. Thank you man. I have my work cut out putting together an outline. I'll probably even learn some stuff. It really is amazing at how little the average person knows about basic nutrition.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
No worries; I think reviewing your thread in the main off-topic would be a good start too

Oh and I don't know if you've taught anything before, but a good way to engage the audience is to ask them questions before going into a new topic.

i.e. "Can anyone name the 3 macronutrients" vs. just telling them. Create fun challenges, or you'll lose their attention.

Last edited by dabears; 04-06-2015 at 10:06 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
No worries; I think reviewing your thread in the main off-topic would be a good start too

Oh and I don't know if you've taught anything before, but a good way to engage the audience is to ask them questions before going into a new topic.

i.e. "Can anyone name the 3 macronutrients" vs. just telling them. Create fun challenges, or you'll lose their attention.
that's a great idea. Otherwise I'm just a robot and regurgitating information. I think I did very well when talking to the gym owner though. Well enough for her to hand me money for 12 weeks and want me to be the go to guy for her entire gyms nutrition.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
I'll email you some ebooks.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT - Sold
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I'll email you some ebooks.
you have my email?

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'll give you some advice.

It's going to cost you $50 though.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I think one of the most important things in any nutrition discussion is to tell people what they can do, rather than what they can't.

For instance, don't rattle of a list of things they shouldn't eat on a non-workout day, but give them ideas of good stuff they can eat. Highlight good. If you tell me that I should eat a 7 oz chicken breast and a 1/3 cup of rice with some steamed carrots, I'm going to shut down. If you tell me that, on my off day, a good breakfast would be a couple pieces of bacon and two eggs with black coffee, I'm going to walk away realizing that good nutrition is something I can actually do. Remind me that I can still have that steak, but opt for the 8oz filet instead of the 16 oz ribeye, in the interest of portion control.

I think that portion control is probably the hardest part for most people to grasp. What the nutrition box calls a serving, what you actually serve yourself, and what the package calls "recommended serving" in the picture on the front are three different things. When I sit down to reward myself with girl scout cookies, that's ok. But have two cookies, don't have the entire box.

Have you thought about app development? Yes, there are already a ton of fitness apps out there, but you if you want to brand yourself, you want them using your diet plan with your app.

Most important, though, when teaching a group class, is to keep the audience engaged. Make eye contact with everybody in the room. Ask questions, both for general knowledge and to help recap things you've been talking about. Every five minutes or so, stop to ask a question about something you've been talking about. Ask the question then pick someone to answer. Make lists. People love lists. "Top five best things for breakfast on an off day" "Five best mid-day snacks" "Five things to avoid". Hell, the best change I probably made in the past year was to realize how many calories alone that I was drinking in a given day between soda and fancy coffee drinks.

And continually reinforce that nutrition isn't something that's hard, or takes a degree, or is for special people with amazing willpower.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
you have my email?
Thanks to google, it indexes everything!

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT - Sold
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Just keep in mind that the law varies from state to state, and can sometimes be very vague... As a trainer, you should be able to make suggestions to your clients so that they're successful, but just make sure that you're not working outside your scope of knowledge. Keep the information relatively basic and simple... In other words, you're not a certified nutritionist, so don't try to be one.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
i would not trust a gym owner has someone talking about nutrition who is not a certified dietitian or nutritionist. no offense
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
i would not trust a gym owner has someone talking about nutrition who is not a certified dietitian or nutritionist. no offense
I think if you heard me speak you wouldn't care whether I was a certified dietitian or not. This stuff really isn't that difficult. I'm not giving people meal plans, like Rich said, you don't want to go out of your scope of practice and I'm not trying to be sued if someone eats peanut butter and dies.

But here's an example of what a person like you would do...

A bunch of women in my office go to a RD. The guy doesn't care how many calories you eat as long as there are no white carbs. He also sends them home with a list of supplements to buy which include dandelion root. I'm here to tell you what will make your body look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Just keep in mind that the law varies from state to state, and can sometimes be very vague... As a trainer, you should be able to make suggestions to your clients so that they're successful, but just make sure that you're not working outside your scope of knowledge. Keep the information relatively basic and simple... In other words, you're not a certified nutritionist, so don't try to be one.
Def not. Just giving people the info I have.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-06-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop

I'm the same way. I give my clients general guidelines on how to make better choices with their diets. I don't pretend to be an expert in the field of nutrition, but I do try to guid them in the right direction. The biggest problem I see is people "overtraining" and "under-eating". They focus too much on the scale instead of eating to perform better.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 04-06-2015 at 01:49 PM.
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post

I'm the same way. I give my clients general guidelines on how to make better choices with their diets. I don't pretend to be an expert in the field of nutrition, but I do try to guid them in the right direction. The biggest problem I see is people "overtraining" and "under-eating". They focus too much on the scale instead of eating to perform better.
yea. It depends. I'm finding a lot of people think 100g of carbs is way too much. I'm just like chill out. You workout hard, lets see what happens.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
DylloS

What do you guys think? I will have to type out all the info but this is a general outline.

Topics covered:

What are macronutrients and why are they important for body composition and performance?

What are some common misconceptions about nutrition?

How does someone determine the right breakdown of calories and macronutrients for their goals?

What matters the most when following a meal plan. Is it the type of food, meal timing, calorie total, or macro breakdown?

Why a macro-based diet may be easier to follow compared to many other diet plans.

How to accurately measure, track, and make adjustments in order to succeed on your plan.

Tips and tricks on how make a planned diet fit around your busy schedule.

How to prepare meals, plan alternatives, what to snack on and how stay on course when life happens.

Question and answer
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
DylloS

Signed on another nutrition client today. She wanted some free info and I sold her. Hell yea.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Those topics your covering look great. It's not so in depth that will make their eyes glaze over and just enough to wet their appetite to get started.

I'm going to be doing something like this with a group soon as well so I'm really interested to see how this goes. I was even thinking of including an easy challenge for them to do along the lines of the Whole Life Challenge where they get to compete with each other and the winner gets either a free month membership or free nutrition.

Also create a video for this and you can use it to generate email leads from a facebook ad.

Something like "learn how to lose weight effectively" -learn more
Then they go to your weight loss landing page where they can enter their email and when they do they get sent that video.
Now you got an email lead generator.

I do that with my squatting tutorial.

Last edited by fugarza; 04-08-2015 at 11:37 AM.
fugarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
Those topics your covering look great. It's not so in depth that will make their eyes glaze over and just enough to wet their appetite to get started.

I'm going to be doing something like this with a group soon as well so I'm really interested to see how this goes. I was even thinking of including an easy challenge for them to do along the lines of the Whole Life Challenge where they get to compete with each other and the winner gets either a free month membership or free nutrition.

Also create a video for this and you can use it to generate email leads from a facebook ad.

Something like "learn how to lose weight effectively" -learn more
Then they go to your weight loss landing page where they can enter their email and when they do they get sent that video.
Now you got an email lead generator.

I do that with my squatting tutorial.
very cool man. Thanks. I just got another 12 week person today. I'm a little shy with videos. Not sure why lol
Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
very cool man. Thanks. I just got another 12 week person today. I'm a little shy with videos. Not sure why lol
That's how I feel about videos so I just turn off the comments. Just remember the average person has no idea what they are doing. Talk like you know what you're saying and they'll believe you.

The video helps make you an authority figure. You go from just some dood to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.