E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #181
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
hahaha. just started ncaa man i was a community college transfer. fock all that noise!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #182
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
fock your forearms at that point.
Yeah. Hook grip helps a lot though.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #183
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
BMW, what sport do you play?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #184
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Back to a workout post

Every 40 seconds:
205lb power clean until failure.
If you get to 20, add 5lbs
If you get to 25, add another 5lbs

Got to 30. Brutal.
I'm excited/nervous to start power cleaning. I watch they hell out of youtube videos and dudes look like they have very good form and people still sh1t on them. Maybe that's just what anonymous people do but I'm worried I'll have form issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
BMW, what sport do you play?
He plays baseball
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #185
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'm excited/nervous to start power cleaning. I watch they hell out of youtube videos and dudes look like they have very good form and people still sh1t on them. Maybe that's just what anonymous people do but I'm worried I'll have form issues.

He plays baseball
Post an example. I'd be curious to see what kind of form gets sh!t on on YouTube. In my opinion on power cleans the most important thing is keeping your back safe. Any other form issues are just making yourself less efficient but aren't really a safety risk.

It is a hard movement to get the hang of at first, but once you understand the different pulls and the starting positions you should be in for each, it's just a matter of drilling it into your muscle memory.

Squat cleans on the other hand, I think form is much more important as there are a whole lot more moving parts.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #186
B_Cyrus
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Post an example. I'd be curious to see what kind of form gets sh!t on on YouTube. In my opinion on power cleans the most important thing is keeping your back safe. Any other form issues are just making yourself less efficient but aren't really a safety risk.
because everyone does powercleans differently. There isn't one "acceptable" form, it's always an argument. Whether your feet placement when initially cleaning to the feet placement after the "jump" and your hip thrust and point of thrust and if/when the squat is necessary etc. Powercleans are scrutinized
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #187
DylloS

he posted on reddit and people were saying things like don't pull with your arm etc. To me that looks like pretty good form.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #188
B_Cyrus
Banned User

Quote:
he posted on reddit and people were saying things like don't pull with your arm etc. To me that looks like pretty good form.
they're sort of right. Not enough hip explosion and the "flip-of-the-wrist" should have been higher at his collarbone/clavicle with the elbows higher up by his head.

But see how it is all scrutinized?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #189
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
they're sort of right. Not enough hip explosion and the "flip-of-the-wrist" should have been higher at his collarbone/clavicle with the elbows higher up by his head.

But see how it is all scrutinized?
that's why I'm worried my form will be **** when I first start lol
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #190
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Don't worry about it...just make sure you protect your back. You could scrutinize almost everyone on some minute thing...
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #191
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Don't worry about it...just make sure you protect your back. You could scrutinize almost everyone on some minute thing...
yeah I'm confident that my back will be straight and I plan on video taping it. Depending on how weak/stupid I look I'll post it on here
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #192
jelani

My Ride: looking for a ride
Quote:
yeah I'm confident that my back will be straight and I plan on video taping it. Depending on how weak/stupid I look I'll post it on here
Start off light, the clean power starts from your heels, moves up to your hamstrings, and through your hips, its an explosive movement, sort of like jumping really really hard or like picking up something heavy and throwing it...if the power dosent start from your heels and go through your hips you use your lower back and arms and that's not a good thing, work on your grip strength that will help you allot, and remember it comes from heel/hip not arms if you use your arms allot you will get injured and be limited on the weight you can push. I wish you lived near I would train you on how.

Just go light and take it easy, I started with 135lbs and worked my way up to 275 max
jelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #193
BreakMyWallet

if there is one thing i can say that im great at its power/hang cleans. im not sure why someone would tell you go start on your heels. any athlete should know that the explosion comes from the ball of your foot. maybe you can start off with the balance pretty even but no matter what you push with the ball of your feet.

biggest reason people mess up cleans is because their wrists arent flexible enough to catch the bar. scratch that, they are scared of dropping it literally on your collarbone/shoulder muscle. no matter how much weight i do on cleans, my feet always leave the ground. just pull up as hard as you can, try to throw it to the ceiling, and catch that shiet. get your elbows up and you wont have a problem.

look at kettlebell swing videos. its literally the same motion. your pull should come trough your hips. should be getting balls deep when you throw the bar up.

easy as cake. set your feet, big shrug, hips through, guide and catch bar.

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 09-24-2011 at 02:59 AM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #194
jelani

Quote:
if there is one thing i can say that im great at its power/hang cleans. im not sure why someone would tell you go start on your heels. any athlete should know that the explosion comes from the ball of your foot. maybe you can start off with the balance pretty even but no matter what you push with the ball of your feet.

biggest reason people mess up cleans is because their wrists arent flexible enough to catch the bar. scratch that, they are scared of dropping it literally on your collarbone/shoulder muscle. no matter how much weight i do on cleans, my feet always leave the ground. just pull up as hard as you can, try to throw it to the ceiling, and catch that shiet. get your elbows up and you wont have a problem.

look at kettlebell swing videos. its literally the same motion. your pull should come trough your hips. should be getting balls deep when you throw the bar up.

easy as cake. set your feet, big shrug, hips through, guide and catch bar.
I agree somewhat, but your initial force/power comes from your heels this is were your power originates, after your initial jerk it moves through your legs mainly calfs and hamstring and through your hips, yes the ball of your feet and quads play a roll but a minimum one more for balance like you said.

I did not want to responed to this because the movement is hard to discribe, like you I have been lifting for a while, and I know from experience if you lean forward on the ball of your feet you will eventually have knee and back problems.

When squating your knees should never pass the tip of your toes, so in order to have a monster squat the intial push comes from your heel.,

In boxing, to power punch you need to sit down, in other words dig your heels down to maximize your power output.

This is what I have learned through out the years, the more force you generate through your heels the more power output through out your extremities, and please don't get it twisted your whole body is involved but force/power originates in your heels.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #195
BreakMyWallet

yeah it is a really hard workout to explain. i understand
Old 09-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #196
BreakMyWallet

my workout yesterday: at a park with 2 40lb cinderblocks
gonna be hard to explain these workouts i shouldve made a video.

- approx 100 yard uphill cinderwalks

- overhead toss with 1 cinderblock 100 yards

- 15 jump squats + 50 mountain climbers+ 100 yard sprints back to the other cinderblock

- overhead toss 100yards

- 1 hand kettblebell type swings with cinderblocks (switched off hands)+ 1/2 turkish getups

- 15 divebombers + 16 spiderman pushups

- 10 table jumps (just like box jumps, but with a park table)

REPEATED THAT WORKOUT ONCE MORE

cant remember when i have sweat that much... and today im sore as shiet!

gonna post a workout in a few after i roll to the gym.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #197
jelani

Quote:
my workout yesterday: at a park with 2 40lb cinderblocks
gonna be hard to explain these workouts i shouldve made a video.

- approx 100 yard uphill cinderwalks

- overhead toss with 1 cinderblock 100 yards

- 15 jump squats + 50 mountain climbers+ 100 yard sprints back to the other cinderblock

- overhead toss 100yards

- 1 hand kettblebell type swings with cinderblocks (switched off hands)+ 1/2 turkish getups

- 15 divebombers + 16 spiderman pushups

- 10 table jumps (just like box jumps, but with a park table)

REPEATED THAT WORKOUT ONCE MORE

cant remember when i have sweat that much... and today im sore as shiet!

gonna post a workout in a few after i roll to the gym.
Damn man your a hell of an athlete...NCAA baseball your all good...great job!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #198
BreakMyWallet

thanks dude. actually had a better workout than that just now. im dead.

basically did 2 workouts and superset 3 workouts on each. a lot of intensity and pace. really had no breaks

first set
- power snatch- 3x6- 165 lb
- dumbell press (2 DB's)- 3x12- 45lb each DB
- 1 leg squats- 3x8 each leg

second set
- Hang squat (weights never touched the ground)- 3x6- 185lb
- Deadlifts (pace!)- 3x12- 185lb
- Box jumps- 3x12

you should sweat your balls off doing it! the whole workout took about 35-40 minutes maybe?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #199
jelani

Quote:
thanks dude. actually had a better workout than that just now. im dead.

basically did 2 workouts and superset 3 workouts on each. a lot of intensity and pace. really had no breaks

first set
- power snatch- 3x6- 165 lb
- dumbell press (2 DB's)- 3x12- 45lb each DB
- 1 leg squats- 3x8 each leg

second set
- Hang squat (weights never touched the ground)- 3x6- 185lb
- Deadlifts (pace!)- 3x12- 185lb
- Box jumps- 3x12

you should sweat your balls off doing it! the whole workout took about 35-40 minutes maybe?
I am going to the gym now I will give this a go
Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #200
BreakMyWallet

also just got done with some never ending pasta at olive garden post workout gold!