E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #481
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
yeah this is the heaviest ive gone lately. thanks man.

and solly mtn climbers are on the ground.

though, i actually do them where my leg that goes to my chest does not touch the ground like most people do.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #482
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
She was doing a workout?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #483
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
yeah this is the heaviest ive gone lately. thanks man.

and solly mtn climbers are on the ground.

though, i actually do them where my leg that goes to my chest does not touch the ground like most people do.
The mountain climbers I knew about were like I described so I'm just curious what the ones you do are.

is this the ones you do?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #484
BreakMyWallet

yep!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #485
DylloS

Quote:
yep!
ok cool.

I notice you're doing full body stuff a lot but how do you program your workouts so you don't overlap too much. In other words on monday you do a workout and the next day you want to workout but make sure you don't over do it or hit the same muscles as hard. Or did you just adapt to the less days rest? I'm just curious for when I try some of this stuff out.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #486
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
ok cool.

I notice you're doing full body stuff a lot but how do you program your workouts so you don't overlap too much. In other words on monday you do a workout and the next day you want to workout but make sure you don't over do it or hit the same muscles as hard. Or did you just adapt to the less days rest? I'm just curious for when I try some of this stuff out.
I wont speak for him, but I know that doing fullbody stuff I adapted to a MUCH higher workload pretty quickly. You can look at my log that I sent you a link to before, but from July 4 until when I had my knee surgery on November 16 (135 total days) I only had about 10 days or so that were complete rest days. You get into a little bit of a groove where nothing is ever too sore to work it out or you just program around it. There was a quite a few days where I would just run, sprint, or row as well.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #487
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I wont speak for him, but I know that doing fullbody stuff I adapted to a MUCH higher workload pretty quickly. You can look at my log that I sent you a link to before, but from July 4 until when I had my knee surgery on November 16 (135 total days) I only had about 10 days or so that were complete rest days. You get into a little bit of a groove where nothing is ever too sore to work it out or you just program around it. There was a quite a few days where I would just run, sprint, or row as well.
Don't worry I would have asked you too lol.

My legs are a little sore today from Monday but I know after my warmups i'll be fine and wont even feel it. I have a friend doing it with me now and he was worried about the soreness but I told him it will be fine. for some reason we always learned that if you're sore you shouldn't workout. I guess that's just a big myth.

Also, the more I read about crossfit the more I don't like it. I like the idea of timed workouts and all this full body stuff but I feel like a lot of them sacrifice good form in order to beat a time. It's too "we're better than you" for me I guess. My next goal like we talked about is to do heavy workouts but conditioning as well. I like the idea of deadlifting then running, the shoulder pressing etc. I just don't know the best way to program it all.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #488
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
exactly. you dont so much as "pound" or isolate your muscles, i still get sore a lot, but its a full body soreness. and its not a very severe soreness. my workouts vary enough to shock my muscles out of rhythm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Don't worry I would have asked you too lol.

My legs are a little sore today from Monday but I know after my warmups i'll be fine and wont even feel it. I have a friend doing it with me now and he was worried about the soreness but I told him it will be fine. for some reason we always learned that if you're sore you shouldn't workout. I guess that's just a big myth.

Also, the more I read about crossfit the more I don't like it. I like the idea of timed workouts and all this full body stuff but I feel like a lot of them sacrifice good form in order to beat a time. It's too "we're better than you" for me I guess. My next goal like we talked about is to do heavy workouts but conditioning as well. I like the idea of deadlifting then running, the shoulder pressing etc. I just don't know the best way to program it all.
soreness is completely fine to work through. i dont understand the philosophy of people that wont workout when they are sore, once your body is warmed up you are fine.

and the whole new crossfit phase is pretty wack. crossfit never use to cater to individuals. it was one workout for everyone. if you couldnt do it, then, well it wasnt crossfit. they do some good workouts though. snatches, cleans, DL's ect.

i try to hit all of my major muscle groups. ill post the workout that i did right after this post. you just build up a tolerance. my workouts are similar to crossfit no doubt, but i will never call them crossfit or sacrifice form to make "time." everything i do is "cardio strength training," i build up my cardiovascular health and get stronger. plain and simple.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #489
BreakMyWallet

todays workout.

- Wide grip hang snatch- 5-4-3- 145/155/165
superset
- Spiderman pushups- 3x16 (8 each side)

- DB swings- 3x15- 110LB
superset
- plyo pushups- 3x15

tabbatta curcuit. 15s on 15s off. 3 times through. basically trying to pound out as many reps as you can.

box jumps
divebomber pushups
mountain climbers
decline pushups

i really love these workouts. i use to hate bodyweight stuff, but damn it really does get you stronger or more in shape. right now im trying to get into baseball season shape, hence the tabbatta finishers, which will probably never get easy. and when they do i can just up the time. 30s on and 30s off. these definitely aid in soreness as well. good stretch when im done and i feel great the next day.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #490
BreakMyWallet

btw solly, this book is a great read if you get a chance. this is one of the books my coach wrote, and was a best seller. teaches you all about cardiovasular health and cardio strength training. you can also youtube "Robert Dos Remedios" and see some of his workouts. ill have a TRX by the time christmas comes around, id suggest it to anyone. they are so damn useful and theres seriously over 1000 workouts you can do with them. good $150 investment.

http://www.amazon.com/Cardio-Strengt.../dp/1605296554

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 12-07-2011 at 01:17 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #491
DylloS

Quote:
btw solly, this book is a great read if you get a chance. this is one of the books my coach wrote, and was a best seller. teaches you all about cardiovasular health and cardio strength training. you can also youtube "Robert Dos Remedios" and see some of his workouts. ill have a TRX by the time christmas comes around, id suggest it to anyone. they are so damn useful and theres seriously over 1000 workouts you can do with them. good $150 investment.

http://www.amazon.com/Cardio-Strengt.../dp/1605296554
Thanks man. I'll look into it. The thing about soreness that turns people off is that they think the muscle is literally torn and working it will affect the repairing of it. I know almost everyone of my friends thinks this and they are very traditional in what they do. They simply will not change their workouts even though they look the same and lift the same. I wish I knew about full body stuff in the past because I was always guilty of doing each muscle once a week. It annoys be that I've wasted so much time.

Do you have a timer you use to know when to switch workouts?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #492
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Yeah I feel the same way about crossfit. Whenever anyone asks me about it I tell them it was kind of my "gateway drug" that introduced me to compound lifts, olympic lifts, smarter ways of doing conditioning, etc. Now it has totally lost its way.....

You can download some good timers on your iphone (look up interval timer) but I can never get them to buzz loud enough so I bought this thing called a gymboss. Its a pretty sweet little programmable timer. I use it almost every time I work out for something.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #493
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
I appreciate Crossfit for teaching me proper form for Olympic lifting and for other weight related exercises but just couldn't understand why it cost so much. I now do much of the same things ( without the same attention to beating times) at my apt gym.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #494
DylloS

Quote:
Yeah I feel the same way about crossfit. Whenever anyone asks me about it I tell them it was kind of my "gateway drug" that introduced me to compound lifts, olympic lifts, smarter ways of doing conditioning, etc. Now it has totally lost its way.....

You can download some good timers on your iphone (look up interval timer) but I can never get them to buzz loud enough so I bought this thing called a gymboss. Its a pretty sweet little programmable timer. I use it almost every time I work out for something.
that's what I need. I use my iphone on my dock for music so It may work well since it stops the music for a brief second when texts come in and stuff. I'll have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
I appreciate Crossfit for teaching me proper form for Olympic lifting and for other weight related exercises but just couldn't understand why it cost so much. I now do much of the same things ( without the same attention to beating times) at my apt gym.
I guess it's because it's more personalized service than a gym. I'm sure the prices turn a lot of people off though.

This guy makes me so mad. How can he be at what looks to be some sort of event and deadlift like this? BTW, how did you make out that day we were talking about your deadlifts and warmups and stuff?

Last edited by DylloS; 12-07-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #495
BMW_Matt

She is using a LOT of her back for that deadlift.....That hurts my back watching.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #496
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
She is using a LOT of her back for that deadlift.....That hurts my back watching.
She? Maybe I linked the wrong one. They one I meant to link was some sweating dude yanking the **** out of it.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #497
BMW_Matt

It was some sexy girl lifting 215/225/235
Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #498
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
+1

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #499
DylloS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
+1

Sorry posted the wrong video. Check now I just edited it here it is too. I'm mad at this assh0le and even more at the guy filming that says "Nice"!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #500
BMW_Matt

Tell him have fun with his herniated or ruptured disc.